Amex Platinum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Binman – I have been trying to findan alternative to the Centurion/Platinum travel policy for well over 3 years. Nothing has come close – even American Express Insurance Services policy being sold does not compete in terms of benefits. I have no idea how the policy was put together, but IMHO it is very very good and economic.

@FlightOrlacle – there was some debate on the Forum some time about about the new Centurion card and its worth. Very little from what I recall. Interstingly the service i get now from the Plat team is much better than Centurian, despite Plat team now being via email. I have also gone back to using Green Amex card (my supplementary card) for more exclusive as everyone else is busy showing their Gold, Plat and Black cards.

londonboy
    Participant

I’ve also been blinking at the Amex price hike and called them to check if the BA Premium Plus annual card fee would remain at £30 a year instead of £120 (at the old rate) and was told that this benefit was being stopped!

Think Amex are being very shortsighted as both cards will now cost me £600 a year if I keep them.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

@MartynSinclair – your comment about Amex hiding their commission – I’m not sure how much more transparent they can be, each transaction is shown on the statement with the converted foreign spend into GBP, then a line showing the commission charged and then the total amount charged. Furthermore each statement, regardless of if you have had a foreign spend on it directs you to their website for explanations on how foreign charges are calculated.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ANDREWYOUNG1

My paper statements show currency paid and converted sterling billed, NO COMMISSION.

Online statement has a drop down (+) key which then reveals commission charged with the comment (show or hide the transaction detail) Amex’s words not mine.

When I queried this with Amex, the response was that the commission charge needs to be shown somewhere due to a European “rule”. To be clear it should also show on paper statement.

Amex hit customers with a currency charge (a debit and credit on the same day, same retailer, will use different exchange rates) and a commission charge.

Is it possible ANDREWYOUNG1 that there are 2 statement systems?

DRWAC001
    Participant

Hi all
    I have a question that I hope someone can answer please
    I have recently received Marco Polo Diamond Membership through Centurion. I understand that this will allow me to use premium check in and give me lounge access to BA lounge at T5, I am flying to Madrid. I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know if this is correct and which lounge I can access in LHR and in Madrid. Many thanks

tarisingh
    Participant

I have the Marco Polo Gold courtesy of Amex platinum – initally it was complimentary for one year but when Amex announced the new annual price hike for their cards they suggested the MP gold card would continue indefinitely, giving access to all OneWorld lounges (including BA galleries lounges LHR T5) – have just found out that it will only be offered for another year.
    A bit sneaky me thinks!!

Binman62
    Participant

Tarsingh…..where did you get that information. If true it represents a big climb down by Amex who wrote to me in June and made it clear it was one year only and would not be extended. I joined in in August 11 so my year was in August 2012 up and there has been nothing from Amex or Cathay. As I lose BA silver in April having this will be a great help.

Have to agree that Amex advertising of the new benefits as well as the fee was poor boarding on the dishonest but in the end the travel insurance still swung it for me despite the changes to that this year also.

tarisingh
    Participant

Binman62 – from the horses mouth – Got customer service agent at Amex to check and he confirmed it

VintageKrug
    Participant

I thought Marco Polo Gold was only being offered for one year, as a one off per Cent/Plat membership.

Trouble is, Amex is so poor at communicating benefits, And of course you can just take an agent’s word for it as legally you haven’t a leg to stand on!

dbalcon
    Participant

This upgrading of benefits for Amex Platinum was introduced here in Canada a couple of months ago with similar benefits (and a hike of $300 a year in the annual fee, from $399 to $699 albeit there’s also an annual $200 credit for Amex Travel bookings). The CX MarcoPolo Gold status was offered last year for an 8-month period, but has now become a permanent benefit as long as one holds a Platinum (or Centurion) card. Lounge access, of course, is given at any Oneworld lounge as long as one is flying a Oneworld airline that day. Now also included in the Platinum card is the free-entry Priority Pass which does not have an airline-specific requirement. We’ve always had AA and DL lounge access over here, as long as one is flying those carriers when using the lounge.

We received a large brochure and mail-in registration forms about a month before the new program was to come into effect, so not sure how it was “announced” in the UK. Also includes Gold Club Carlson and Platinum A|Club. Fee increase kicks in at the time of renewal but new benefits were immediate.

Binman62
    Participant

Dbalcon…much ten same here. The letter promoted the benefits for nearly a full is of a4 and the fee hike from 300’to 450 GBP was on the penultimate line.

The CX Marco polo gold card was advertised in such a manner that the period of validity appeared to be the same as yo have in Canada. Enquiries to Amex however showed it was just one year so this change, if true is a significant change.

It has caused huge problems in some countries with many CX regulars complaining about the offer. On flyertalk there is a huge thread on this subject.

Here in the UK I would be surprised if BA would not have brought their considerable influence to bare to prevent an indefinite offer as with this card there is no need to have a BS silver card to gain access to lounges or get free seat assignment, though for the latter I hear you need to go via Finnair’s web site.

Otherwise the other things you mentioned are all available here….just need the permanent gold card from CX now.!!!

dbalcon
    Participant

Yes, followed the FT bru-ha-ha over the MarcoPolo comp which started when Amex gave the short-term comp. Given I am now an AA ExecPlat (as well as AC SE and UA 1K) I have Emerald access to Oneworld lounges, but the MarcoPoloGold was actually better to use to access AA clubs within NAmerica than the AmexPlat because I get one or two drink vouchers good for premium wine, beer and hard liquor (which AA charges for in NAmerican clubs) when flying domestic. (No elite status AA club entry when flying just within NAmerica…only when overseas flights are included on one’s itinerary.)

Not sure why BA would complain that much since it gets paid by CX for every lounge access…would have to give it free if you had a BA ExecSilver or Gold card. Could be the interpretation of 1-year’s status relates to one’s Amex account which is also an annual affair…i.e. you get MarcoPolo renewed each time you renew your Amex Plat card. (My initial MarcoPoloGold comp expires at the end of November — the 8 month offer — so I would expect to get a new card but perhaps no until I’ve renewed my Amex Plat card in December. Guess I’ll see how that works out at year’s end.)

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Having worked at Amex Travel in UK and Australia in Platinum and Centurion a few years ago no benefit is ever permanent. The amount of times we were told as staff that such things would last only for things to be withdrawn (and as front line staff take the flak). It normally comes down to Amex not paying enough to the suppliers to offer the benefits they give – or the supplier then hiking fees 2 or 3 years later.

Binman62
    Participant

the CX Gold card has been extended for a one more year. mine arrived this morning. very pleased.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just received another VERY tempting offer from Amex. To convert my reward points to Avios (+ 40% enhancement) or to Virgin point (+ 35% enhancement).

If you hold a significant number of these, it can mean a free ticket, just for switching.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls