Amex customer services really in decline – any good other cards out there?I

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

• Chris in Makati
    Participant

My Amex Platinum Card has just come up for renewal and as I’m not travelling much right now I don’t feel I’m getting value for money from either the Priority Pass or the travel insurance benefits.

I phoned them to see if they would offer me any incentive to stay, but nothing was forthcoming. No discount on the £575 annual fee and no extension of card validity. I was quite surprised as they must be hemorrhaging members, but they wouldn’t concede on anything, so I just let them process the cancellation.

jsn55
    Participant

Yup, I gave up on AmEx years ago. After 30+ years, the loyalty only flowed one way. I discovered Chase Sapphire cards when they launched. I’ve been very happy with their customer service … the ability to use email to get simple questions answered plus the fact that a human always answers the phone does it for me.

alainboy56
    Participant

As per the very wise wife of @LuganoPirate, I also have REVOLUT and N26. I also have TRANSFERWISE, MONESE and NEAT from Hong Kong.
    For me, all of them in various ways are very acceptable, and via their various plans have good benefits, insurances, and soon with REVOLUT, will give interest on your balances it seems.
    Perhaps they are not on a high par with an AMEX Platinum card, but they carry out a similar role.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

Did you open the Neat account while you were actually in Hong Kong? I’d like one of those “virtual” bank accounts that are popping up now in Hong Kong, but they all seem to want a local address and phone number in order to open one.

alainboy56
    Participant

@Chris in Makati

No, I applied purely on line ‘through the AP’ on your mobile, if I remember correctly.
    Certainly I was not in HK at the time, and nor do I have a local number or address there.

Please forgive my vagueness, as I do not remember exactly for NEAT, but most of these on-line FinTech Challenger Banks require a photo ‘through the APP’ of your passport, and an address (in my case in Europe to send the card) and then a selfie to verify the P/P photo.
    It was again, if I remember well, quite a simple 10 minute process.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

@alainboy56

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a try. I had previously tried for an account with Mox and they told me I’d need a local mobile number and local address to send the card to.

No Name
    Participant

Amex customer since 1986; enjoyed since 1995 a good rewards scheme with BA Premier version. It us our credit card of choice.
    Two recent disputed purchases swiftly dealt with – compared to appalling incompetence on recent disputed purchase with Citibank.
    Only issue that it is not universally accepted, with merchants claiming Amex is expensive.

TonyR
    Participant

I have the Amex Platinum and can’t fault the service. Before a Barbados vacation in the coronavirus lull last October I checked and the travel insurance would cover COVID issues while away. As luck would have it I tested positive on arrival and spent an asymptomatic week in isolation. One call to Amex and they took over and sorted out all the arrangements for my partner until I was clear and we could move on to our apartment. It’s what I’ve come to expect from Amex Platinum – if you’re in a hole and need help they’ll sort it out, no fuss. I have the Natwest Black Mastercard too but that doesn’t offer anything unless you buy the full banking account package with them so I’ve no idea how good it is although it is a little bit cheaper and the card more widely accepted. I used to have the Amex Black but that was a waste of money – no better service than the Platinum with just a few extra perks. The titanium metal card was different but didn’t work very well in card machines. Not worth the extra money IMHO.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls