American to launch EDI and BHX to JFK May 2015

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Good Morning

More route announcements by AA including JFK to EDI and BHX. MAN to MIA also mooted but looks like FRA got the route instead.
    Interesting blog post on the below link.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101003/american-to-fly-daily-to-birmingham-and-edinburgh

More good news for the regions then.

conshaldow
    Participant

Hi Tim,

It does appear both routes are in the system as of this morning, however nothing appears to have broken in mainstream news as yet. Below are the timings i can see for flights (took random date in September as reference)…

EDI JFK 0915 1200 AA 279

JFK EDI29/ 1915#0715 AA 278

BHX JFK 1000 1255 AA 131

1 JFK BHX 1900#0710 AA 130

Both routes appear to be operated by Boeing 757-200 in a 2 cabin format.

Hopefully more news on this shall be available shortly.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Yes – the flights are on the GDS as is the 2nd AA flight LHR to LAX. The regionals are on the 2 class 757 – so not sure if premium product is up to scratch. At least on UA 757’s you get the flatbed product in Business.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Tim,

UA 757s now have flatbed product? Are you sure? I thought they were still the old style cradle seats.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Bath VIP

They definitely have the flatbed product fleetwide (international) – they have done for a few years now. I’ve been on it as well so can testify that that is correct. Some of the “internal” US fleet have the old cradle product – but they have even upgraded some of these on the JFK to LAX and SFO flights to full flat bed Business Class.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

That’s good to know. I have occasionally seen good deals out of Belfast given the lower APD but have been put off by the older product.

HoundDog
    Participant

Interested in the EDI-JFK route as a quick means to get from Scotland to US and still collect Avios, but wonder if like the US Airways GLA-PHL routing whether this will just be seasonal……..avoiding LHR connections in winter Fog, Winds or Snow is when these direct regional routes are worth their weight in gold, not in July !

Senator
    Participant

The American product on the B757-200ERs I know very little off. However, the United operated B757-200ERs from secondary markets in Europe are all pre-merger Continental and provide actually a great experience. I’ve been on it thrice from Stockholm and enjoyed it immensely each time in BusinessFirst.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

What I cannot ascertain from the press release is whether the AA 757 is from their legacy fleet or from the US Airways fleet. As they integrate the operation the risk of the US Airways 757 as used Charlotte to Manchester is a very real risk of an out of date product that was less than competitive a decade ago, let alone today. BT can you check this out please?

SimonS1
    Participant

I thought from Tim’s post above we had established that all the intercontinental flights had flat beds?

cityprofessional
    Participant

United transatlantic 757s (ex-CO) are all flat beds

American international 757s are not flat beds, but I think these only go to LatAm

US Airways 757s were all cradle, and I’m sure I read somewhere that these flights are op by US

SimonS1
    Participant

UH-oh you may be right there.

http://www.newsrecord.co/american-airlines-expands-europe-new-flights-birmingham-edinburgh-frankfurt-london/

“American’s new routes from New York to Birmingham and Edinburgh are not the most promising for fliers. American plans to send an ancient Boeing 757-200 aircraft on the route, with no personal entertainment screens in economy class and an older business class seat that does not recline to a fully flat bed”

canucklad
    Participant

I wonder if AA will have a pricing policy that reflects the inferior product. I’m also curious what percentage of the takings BA get due to their agreement, and what’s the strategic long term objectives of BA/AA are . On the whole though, more good news for EDI ,especially with my Avios bank.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Strange that EDI has made no mention yet of this new proposed service by AA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls