American Launches AAdvantage Amex in UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

American Airlines used to offer a Citibank AAdvantage Visa in the UK.

This relationship ceased at the end of 2009.

A new AAdvantage affiliate card is now offered in the form of an mbna American Express card.

You get a modest 5,000 AAdvantage miles for joining, but there is no fee, and 1.5 AAdvantage miles per pound spent.

Triple miles will be offered for petrol and supermarket shopping, as well as AA flights, as an introductory deal for the first six months.

You can apply online here:

http://www.aa.com/uk/mbna

VintageKrug
    Participant

Very impressed with mbna, called on Monday and have the PIN, card and all good to go this morning. Great service.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

call me a cynic VK – but Amex dont allow branding for such little cost. There will be charges somewhere, they’re just hidden. Its about time that all charges were much more visible.

VintageKrug
    Participant

it’s = it is

its = possessive

There is no annual fee with this card – there are the usual foreign transaction fees which you get with any card, but no “membership fee” as is often the case for Amex’s affiliate cards.

UK transactions do not attract any additional fees.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VK

Ask what the commission is. Amex usually charge 3% and thats on top of the currency charges. They only show these charges on their on line statements not shown on paper statements.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes, I agree. But there is no “fee” which is an annual fee simply for having the card.

I have stopped using Amex overseas because of these ridiculous charges and stick to either Visa (though you need to check them too!) or mostly cash.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

as you know i am frequently in Thailand. The easiest and chepaest solution for me is to either pay cash (easy) or open an account with Bank of Thailand apply for a debit card and credit via a bank draft each visit. The advantage of this route is that i have an audit trail for expenses.

VintageKrug
    Participant

If you have not already applied for this card, it is well worth doing so.

Do note, however, that I discovered mbna had opened a new AAdvantage account on my behalf, despite me having provided them with my existing membership number on the application.

So the miles I have accrued on this credit card had to be merged with my existing membership number, so well worth double checking your AAdvanatge miles are being credited to the correct account.

pyosbkk
    Participant

martyn,when r next in bkk and if u have time, pls drop me a note,we can meet.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

pyosbkk – be delighted to meet up. I can always be found in the 24th floor lounge at the Westin. If iam not there, the staff wil always know where I am. Will be there next towards the end of August.

pyosbkk
    Participant

martyn,sure.drop me a note when time is nearer.tks,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls