American Express Platinum card (UK) – cash voucher benefits

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cardholders may not be aware that Amex are gifting cash reward benefits to UK Plat card holders. I posted before Christmas that I received a £100 gift voucher from Amex to be used in Harrods (I was naturally highly suspicious of it at the time). I was recently told by a friend that further gift vouchers are issued within the card offers page on the Platinum website.

I am currently enjoying a £175 spend in Selfridges. As long as you pay via the Amex card, up to £175 will be refunded from any spend in Selfridges online or in shop. I missed in the last Q another voucher of similar value.

You do need to register to benefit & there are some T&C’s, but it certainly does work.

Goes someway to reducing the £650 pa membership fee, which for the past year has included unusable travel benefits..

1 user thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

The savings this year and some of the offers have been outstanding.

My account shows savings of almost £1600 including £400 off £400 spend at Marriot, 2 x £100 off £100 spends at Waitrose as well as other savings at some restaurants and stores

Not all the offers are available to all card members and many are very Londoncentric. The deals can sometimes also be available to supplementary cards. For example there is £50 off £200 spend at Hilton which is also available to supplementary card holders. Others, such as the Selfridge offer, are not available to me which can be irritating, but as the examples show, there can be real value in the offers for many.

There was also a significant number of Membership reward points handed out to retain me as a card holder and the service I have had has been superb, especally around insurance claims for cancelled trips booked before the onset of the pandemic.

AMEX TRAVEL
    REDEEMED
    You saved £50.00

CRAFT GIN CLUB
    REDEEMED
    You saved £20.00

CLINIQUE ONLINE
    REDEEMED
    You saved £5.29

WAITROSE

REDEEMED
    21/01/2021
    You saved £175.00

FARFETCH HARRODS GBP
    You saved £100.00

THE WESTBURY HOTEL LTD
    31/10/2020
    You saved £400.00

GAUCHO PICCADILLY
    You saved £30.00

AVERYS OF BRISTOL ECOMM
    17/10/2020
    You saved £40.00

WAITROSE
    24/09/2020
    You saved £100.00

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101957]

Hi Martyn,

I have been trying to find how to register for these Platinum card offers. Can you lead me through the procedure?

Thanks

FF

NNoah16
    Participant

Hi FaroFlyer
    You can access all offers through the Amex app. I am aware that UK & USA Amex apps have the same functionality.
    There are frequent offers of £5 back on £15 “local” purchases near you which is brilliant.
    regards

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Amex have just come up trumps again with an amazing offer. Admittedly, in part this is to encourage card members not to cancel memberships due to lack of card use for travel purposes.

Spend up to £200 at one of a very comprehensive list of restaurants, around the world and 100% will be refunded within I think 5 days of spend. The list for London is very good. Offer ends 31st Dec 2021.

Please read the terms and conditions in case I have missed something, but I did call up Brighton to check and was told I was not the first to ask for confirmation.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

After deciding not to renew my Platinum Card at the end of last year, things seem to be on the move again now, so I just asked Amex to reissue it.

My “Offers” section was updated this morning and that one popped up here too, much to my delight.

My understanding is the same as yours – you get reimbursed for a total cumulative spend of up to £200 at any of those restaurants up to the end of this year.

There are certainly some nice restaurants there, although I’d have been happier if they had included a few more mid-range places too, and a few more closer to home. Anyway, it will certainly go some way to offset the annual fee.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It seems these perks have a cost to Amexco… https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/oct/23/american-express-credit-card-interest-rates-amex. Paying over 20% interest rate! How desperate do you have to be?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114461]

The perks being discussed are only applicable to the Amex Platinum Card, which isn’t a credit card. With the Platinum Card the full balance is payable on the due date, so unlike the cards being referred to in the article, extended credit with interest isn’t available.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114463]

The Swiss platinum cards allow not to pay the whole balance at 30 days. Isn’t it the case in the UK?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114464]

In the UK, American Express have various Platinum cards. There are Platinum credit cards, which have no annual fee and allow extended payment periods with interest charged. Then there’s “The Platinum Card” itself, which is a charge card and has to be paid in full on the due date.

It’s The Platinum Card which has the offers and benefits such as travel insurance and airport lounge access. Their credit cards have minimal benefits.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls