American Express and Companion voucher

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• 6Continents
    Participant

I also hope they never end as I love them.

The wife and I have used them for…

MAN-SYD-MAN (F Return Easter)

MAN-SIN NRT-MAN (F Open Jaw Easter)

MAN-SFO LAX-MAN (F Open Jaw August)

I am still waiting for our return to come available for Jan 15 but so far have MAN-PEK (F) departing just before Xmas 14.

You really have to work hard with some destinations but some are really easy, flexibility is the key. I have tried without success to repeat the SYD return in F but following the end of the JSA it now seems an impossible task.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

I see Vintage Krug is back with a new name…SergeantMajor. It’s all about never knocking BA.

esselle
    Participant

Over the years have used them to JFK, CPT, DXB, and MRU many times; would never pay to fly F in BA, but happy enough when two of you go virtually free. LAS is next.

Of course it is frustrating if you cannot get what you want, when you want it, but if you are flexible about destination and timing, the 241 is a great scheme.

Papillion53
    Participant

RoadKing – have to agree with most of the posters. Have found getting redemptions using the Amex 241 great.

Sometimes you have to be a wee bit flexible, like we were when we went to YVR when we couldn’t get SEA – but that was no hardship at all!

Even managed like 6C to get ABZ-LHR-SIN-SYD in F two years ago, but for that one I did book almost as soon as the return opened up. Have tried again for SYD on BA, but seems that’s a no go now. So happily booked to HKG in F on the BA A380 using the Amex 241, continuing the journey in CX in business down to ADL, avios and a tiny amount of taxes/fees. Then using up some forgotten about VS miles to get back to HKG in UC. In fact, we had originally been setting out on this trip in the Spring, but recently has to change our dates to later in the year and I not only found what we were looking for, but had the choice of CW or F – so naturally I chose F! Same taxes/fees, and just a few more avios and the CCR! :-))

So where there’s a will, there’s a way! But I have to say the DH would have no idea about how to do all this, so he’s a lucky boy to have Mrs P! 😉 🙂

Ah DoorsToManual – dinna start!!! :-((

RoadKing
    Participant

Dear fellows, I have to confess that I had left out a significant piece of information. Not on purpose mind you, just forgetfull.

My experience with the Amex 241 is with SAS Eurobonus and Amex.

I reckon that BA with their much larger offering certainly is better.

Apologies.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Ah!

A shame about the confusion, but good to see so many positive first hand experiences of redeeming in premium cabins using the 2for1 voucher.

ChristopherBurton5
    Participant

Not sure 100% if this is the right place but I’ve just got my voucher through, I’d like to take my wife on just a short break to Rome I’ve seen BA fly the 767 to there. Now I’ve been on the Istanbul route many times in CE with a bed type seat all very nice wanted to treat the wife but also aware they do a short 767 with just the extra leg room does anybody know if the 767 on the Rome route is a old long haul 767 cheers

BRin1406
    Participant

Hi CB5
    My Wife, Grandaughter & I took this flight last year and it was configured as standard CE.

PegasusAir
    Participant

BRin1406 is right. I took it twice last year and it is in a standard CE config. Even Cyprus is standard CE.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

If you’re looking for a cheap redemption, where you get to sample the longhaul cabins,Rome is not the answer.

Only exceptional situations see longhaul flat beds on shorthaul routes.

I’d always specifically avoid shorthaul 767s, though they are better since the recent refurb, with more pax service is less personalised.

Try Moscow in first or club; you can use Reward Flught Saver so fewer taxes, though you’ll need a visa. 60k round trip in 747 F for both of you, if using 2for1.

Amman in Jordan or tel aviv in Israel are both warmer and nicer destinations, and use the mid haul bmi A321 with a mid haul sleeper bed in club world, slightly different from longhaul club world, but very comfy.

Travellator
    Participant

Mid Haul is frequently substituted with CE config according to BA Source !

esselle
    Participant

Actually the mid haul seating configuration is, as SM suggests, far better than long haul J as you get better IFE screens, and direct aisle access, which you do not get on long haul. The downside is lack of toilet facilities, which get you back to the BA Butlins service standard.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One of the FRA-LHR flights uses or at least used to use a long haul configured 767 with flat beds in club.

Think it was used as a 767 training flight for the crew. Not sure if it is still used..

Travellator
    Participant

Esselle – Did SM say all that ? Much better than Long Haul J etc ?

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Esselle – mid haul does not give you direct aisle access, far from it, if you have a window seat you must manoeuvre yourself directly over your neighbour to get to the aisle. I’ve never found lack of toilets to be an issue on the A321’s. Given the choice, long haul Club World is more comfortable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls