American Airlines flight attendants complain about the tiny bathrooms on the 737

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

American Airlines flight attendants complain about the tiny bathrooms on the 737 MAX

Passengers who fly on American Airlines’ 737 Max planes will probably notice that the lavatories are extra small, with sinks so tiny that fliers can only wash one hand at a time.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

When both doors to the lavatories are open, the flight attendants are sealed off in the galley, blocking them from getting to the passengers, the flight attendants complained.

The carrier is still looking for a fix to the door problem.

Obvious answer – remove one lav and install 3 more seats 🙂

ontherunhome
    Participant

Whilst the 737 in it’s many forms is the workhorse of the aviation industry, when I can, I will avoid it. I will always look to fly on an Airbus, or anything that is not a 737. I find them cramped, and simply not as passenger friendly as say the A320. Likewise I prefer to avoid 787, and will actively, where possible go A380/777/A350 instead.

Boeing may make planes that suit airlines, but they forget paying passengers.( and crew)

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Almost all airlines (in their economy cabins) are beginning to cut back on toilet accommodation to carry more passengers per flight.

In Europe I believe Lufthansa was the first conventional airline with Airbus’ space-flex galley/toilet combination. On an A320 it will raise the seat count from 168 to 180 passengers.

Isn’t BA also adopting space-flex ?

Lufthansa’s seating plans shows how the extra capacity is made available.

A320 with 168 seats.

https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/65/media_1584501465.pdf

A320 neo with 180 seats. Note the new and slimmer galley/toilet layout.

https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/45/media_1493975145.pdf

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here they are as pictures

168 seats

LH-168

180 seats

LH-180

Flightlevel
    Participant

It will only increase sales of the Bombardier/AI CS100/300 that has sensible toilets and is also more efficient.
    One of the reasons its very popular! Boeing staff must have been visiting the CS100 toilet when they realised they can’t compete,so went to court!

canucklad
    Participant

I’m surprised at a Us airline opting for even smaller lavatories.

With the INCREASING waistlines leading to an obesity epidemic in the States (and elsewhere) making small toilets even more cramped reeks of stupidity !

Long term, I’d have thought that AA are going to cut themselves off from a (sorry for the pun) an increasingly large chunk of US demographics ?

nevereconomy
    Participant

The size of any space is of course relative to the size of the person occupying it….

traveldoc1
    Participant

Like ontherunhome I MUCH prefer A320s to B737s and make my choice accordingly. Agree also about 787 – serious disappointment and not a patch on A350 – and lOVE the A380, but not a big fan of B777.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On short haul routes I try and avoid the bathrooms altogether. On the rare occasion I’ve been caught short and being 6’1 I find the only way to relieve myself is by taking a hump back of Notre Dame position. If I had to stay upright I’d need a damn good aim and a flow akin to the Jet d’Eau in Geneva 😉

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=847755]Like ontherunhome I MUCH prefer A320s to B737s and make my choice accordingly. Agree also about 787 – serious disappointment and not a patch on A350 – and lOVE the A380, but not a big fan of B777.
    [/quote]

A380 upstairs toilets not built for tall men,if you forget at night you’ll walk into the ceiling.
    Now the CS100/300 is back in competition its toilets are better than A320 and B737!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls