Alitalia continues to operate … for now.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 201 total)

• openfly
    Participant

That’s the EU for you. Turning a blind eye to Alitalia’s government subsidies….billions and billions of Euros. It’s no wonder that the U.K. voted out when such blatant cronyism is so visible.

Flightlevel
    Participant

One of the (many!) reasons we’re leaving the EU is they make rules that only the law abiding UK abides by, most other states ignore them.
    However some of those states are supporting Brexit too, notably Italy and Hungary, so let them break their own rules without us?
    Numerous airlines in the real world are subsidised (Air India to the tune of $6billion, american airlines,etc.) so suppose the EU is just being ‘flexible’.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=879042]Numerous airlines in the real world are subsidised (Air India to the tune of $6billion, american airlines,etc.) so suppose the EU is just being ‘flexible’.[/quote]

Exactly — Chapter 11 in the States is a classic example of this, and seems to be used as a safety net at times by airlines who are frankly mismanaged …..
    It’s also worth remembering that national carriers are usually seen as a window into the soul of the country they represent. I recall reading an article that suggested a mixed feeling of loss, distress and embarrassment when Swissair collapsed.

alainboy56
    Participant

@canucklad …. Yes I knew/know a hostie/ex hostie for SR and she told me then how they were all so shocked that their beloved airline could be so mismanaged as to fold like it did. You are right, the Swiss as a race, were shocked, dumbfounded and very, very embarrassed.
    She also lost a good friend on SR111, and that also shocked them to the core, again how something could go so very wrong like it did so quickly, and at the end it was put down to pilot error, or rather to be precise, pilot mismanagement of the problem. (i.e. Thinking in a robotic/mechanical way, as opposed to a ‘needs must’ approach).
    With Alitalia the staff ‘could not give a monkey’s’ as they are ‘not Italian’ per se, they are Roman generally, but others are from wherever i.e. Napolitani, Palermitani, Calabrese etc etc. They have no national identity and that behaviour which we see, ie lazy, couldn’t care less attitude (in work anyway), is the way they think about their country.
    So now I invite response from fellow forum contributors on how they may see BA as ‘a window into the soul’ of the UK …. ha ha ha ha – I am waiting! ………..

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Cat among pigeons springs to mind!

Report: Delta Trying to Acquire Alitalia

Johnnyg
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Soon after introducing its designer uniforms Alitalia has announced a catering upgrade.

https://www.alitalia.com/it_it/volare-alitalia/news-e-attivita/news/nuovi-servizi-alitalia.html

transtraxman
    Participant

“Delta-easyJet partnership mooted to bid for Alitalia”, Travel Weekly 11-2-19

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/323640/delta-easyjet-partnership-mooted-to-bid-for-alitalia

I just wonder who will take the 51% of Alitalia that Delta cannot have. Is it going to be the easyjet subsidiary registered in Austria? The Delta investment makes sense when adding it to its investment in Virgin Atlantic but if easyjet participates then would it not also be logical for easyjet to, at least, interline with Virgin Atlantic in the UK?
    On the other hand will easyjet have anything to do with Alitalia? If not which investors would have the nerve to take the plunge with the italian airline? If they were Italian investors would they have the nerve to follow Delta´s restructuring plans and confront the unions, especially when they have their own businesses to look after.
    Quite frankly what does easyjet gain from this?

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

EasyJet and Delta buying Alitalia…..that should ensure their end!! Bye EasyJet.😟

transtraxman
    Participant

Is this the end for Alitalia?

“EasyJet pulls out of Alitalia privatisation process”, (Flight Global, 18-3-19)

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/easyjet-pulls-out-of-alitalia-privatisation-process-456726/

christopheL
    Participant

@flightlevel

« One of the (many!) reasons we’re leaving the EU is they make rules that only the law abiding UK abides by, most other states ignore them »

Let’s speak about it when UK will leave EU (if they do …)

By the way, what is the UK law regarding referendums ? Is it different from the French one ? (Which can be summarized like this : Parliament can change what people decided Anytime what people decided is not in line with what the government wished)

It is very surprising good news that UK has always abided EU rules. Therefore I am very surprised that UK is about to remain despite the people’s vote.

Does this means that UK prefers abiding EU rules than UK laws ?

DNAdams
    Participant

Hi,
    I am looking for advice about making a booking with Alitalia. I have seen a very good J fare LHR to DEL return and want to know what other forum members think of using this airline. Do you think they are likely to go bust in the next 12 months or so? If they do what is the potential to get a refund from an online travel agency rather than booking directly. Is their long haul J product any good? Reviews seem mixed.
    Thank you for your help.
    David

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

[quote quote=943762]Hi,
    If they do what is the potential to get a refund from an online travel agency rather than booking directly.
    [/quote]

If the travel agent is ATOL/ABTA or an AITO bonded agent or operator you should find that you are covered for the worst and that the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) will be responsible for getting you home. (if travelling from the UK)

If paid using a credit card, you should be protected under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, as long as the transaction is over £100 and less than £30,000, but it depends on the card issuer.

capetonianm
    Participant

Some travel insurance policies include airline insolvency cover.

I would suggest booking direct with the airline, or with an IATA travel agency. If you book with an OLTA, use an established UK based one, assuming you are in UK.

DNAdams
    Participant

Thank you both for your advice – appreciated. I haven’t used a OLTA before and only considering as the fare is £350 less than booking direct. The agent is ATOL protected and I will of course use a credit card so should be safe enough. I think my main concern is AZ going down and then having to re-book last minute at much higher price.
    Any thoughts on AZ long haul product?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 201 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls