Alitalia Bankruptcy?

Back to Forum

This topic contains 164 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Otley 8 Feb 2017
at 19:48

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 165 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

Marcus – I have observed the transformation that Etihad has made at Air Serbia, so I think we can look forward positively to changes at Alitalia.

I hope they keep Alitalia in Skyteam. I rely on a few flights on Alitalia each year to help towards renewal of my AF Flying Blue gold card.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Marcus

Well on the case of Rome to the Gulf and points beyond, Emirates already has a head start.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100775/emirates-moves-a380-from-moscow-to-rome

MarcusGB
    Participant

Very interesting Alex.

I flew 1st Class on Etihad from CDG -AUH 2 days ago, again on them BC to AUH- KUL today.
    They have changed their homepage featuring the Alitalia deal, highlighting it, and also on traveling with them, they make the usual welcome to their frequent flyers now also with Alitalia mentioned aboard each flight!

It makes me also wonder about Skyteam and makes it quite confusing, as they have a 10 yr co-operation with AF & KLM. Yet these are not reciprocal in benefits, which were actually promised .
    They have not been merged or linked in any way, codeshares yes, but not FF Gold cards, which i hold in both Airlines now and the usual benefits.

But if Etihad do turn the Airline to profit around by 2017., that is no easy task. Then all the domestic flights, and i think they mentioned 3-4 major hubs with direct flights into AUH, will feed into their main network.

This is unusual to see EK and EY battling against each other, they always seem to follow their own direction, but nothing that steps on each others toes so much, as they would the EU Airlines?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Marcus – Thank you for your comments.

I expect that Alitalia/Etihad will operate a convenient connection between Italy and Abu Dhabi in order to connect with Etihad’s plans for an A380 into Sydney from June 2015.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100797/etihad-to-operate-a380-flights-to-sydney

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Which will be another blow for Qantas who I believe are announcing a $1 billion loss. Yikes!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LP – Yes the financial figures are being announced on Thursday (Australia time) tomorrow morning. The Australia media are expecting them to be grim.

There is lots of new capacity going onto the kangaroo route. Some of it is from Europe but much is from SE Asia with the local budget airlines.

I

transtraxman
    Participant

Seen today on Airwise/Reuters 12November 2014
    “EU To Approve Etihad’s Alitalia Stake Purchase”

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1415795799.html

…..so it appears that the Etihad/Alitalia saga has come to a satisfactory conclusion for both.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It will end in tears!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Why in tears??

I understand AZ is doing concessions in order to have a flourishing airline later ,focused on longhaul lucrative routes with a real global presence .I believe there was no other solution for them to ensure survival .No European hand came to help ..
    I am looking forward to seeing a real attractive longhaul alternative ,backed by the Etihad feeding capability .

MrMichael
    Participant

I am afraid I agee with LuganoPirate here. I don’t think Etihad will give Alitalia management very long to turn things around. Two years and Etihad will likely pull the plug unless a miracle happens. A couple of strikes over staff T&C,s and they will certainly head for the hills. I hope I am wrong.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Just why does Etihad think that an entirely different set of rules will apply as far as the Italian Trades Unions (CGIL etc.) are concerned? From what I have seen and read, the latter’s concern is to draw a red line in the sand and to cling onto every job and benefit they have obtained. If the Italian government, management and investors have been granted little slack by the CGIL and the others, then why should foreigners expect preferential treatment?

Sadly, I agree entirely with LP.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The first test of the EY/AZ stake purchase will come tomorrow.

That is when the Italian transport unions have called a strike.

The strike may not last all day, depending on the group of workers involved, but some AZ workers will strike for four hours between 1200 and 1600.

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

What will Etihad make of this ? It is not used to facing any sort of strike action in AbuDhabi.

Here’s the official information (in Italian only) posted by the Ministry of Transport.

http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The reason i think it will end in tears is because that’s what has happened so often in the past. BT and KLM being two examples. In BT’s case the Italian government didn’t think they offered enough for the 3G spectrum and kept the multi million (refundable) deposits of the failed bidders.

Swiss government paid about €150,000,000 towards the Lugano – Malpensa rail link. Being good trusting Swiss they transferred in good faith the money to Rome. Rome decided other things were more important and spent it elsewhere. The rail link which should have been finished now waits for a project that would have bought billions to the region!

I love Italy and the Italians and in Ticino we have a good laugh about it with our Italian friends who can’t understand the Swiss naivety in actually trusting Rome to keep their word!

I think the ET / AZ tie up will be no different. It will end in tears!

transtraxman
    Participant

Air France/KLM keeps in there despite having to reduce its shareholding.

“Air France-KLM To Allow Alitalia Stake To Be Diluted”

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1416316427.html

Tom Otley
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 165 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Alitalia Bankruptcy?’ is closed to new replies.
BTUK October 2018 issue
BTUK October 2018 issue
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls