Alex On… shifting currency values equal major air ticket savings

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This year will represent good opportunities for those travellers prepared to buy where the price is right.

For decades currency wheezes here in Europe have been used by savvy travellers as a means of obtaining discounted ticket with almost all airlines.

With the Euro expected to fluctuate in value this year and with the Swiss Franc at an all-time high, savvy travellers will find they can buy tickets much more cheaply in one country than in another.

Of course, you must use your air ticket correctly so currency ticketing will not suit every traveller. But for those of you who can be flexible there will be (and are already) plenty of savings to be obtained.

Foreign airlines operating out of Switzerland face a particular problem. Yes, the strong currency means they can earn a lot of money but on the other hand can they attract Swiss-based passengers given the savings than can be achieved by using an airport in a neighbouring country ?

It’s understood that even Zurich-based travellers are prepared to take the transalpine train to Milan (a journey of several hours) and fly out of Malpensa because the savings are so great.

Apparantly if you are a business class passenger, one Gulf carrier will lay on a chauffeur-driven transfer between Milan Central (the terminus where the Zurich train arrives) and Malpensa (the city’s long-haul airport).

A rough check of transatlantic fares between Milan and New York (using airline websites and opodo.co.uk) revealed savings of 50 per cent and more for non-stop flights during the working week (with no Saturday night stay required).

Travel out: Sunday February 01, return February Friday February 06.

Examples of return fares from Zurich:

Business class £5,518 Swiss, £3,115 Delta

Economy Class £830 Delta, £1,199 Swiss (higher than normal fare owing to Friday return date)

Examples from Milan Malpensa

Business class £1,693 Emirates, £1,706 Alitalia/Delta

Economy class £466 Emirates, £442 Alitalia/Delta

I rest my case.

canucklad
    Participant

So Alex, I had a light bulb moment, that airlines might not like. Because they do use the fluctuations to their to financial advantage.
    If was in charge, I’d insist that all airlines quote and sell their tickets using the US dollar. The currency oil is purchased. That way ,as consumers we are in a better place to compare.

travelsforfun
    Participant

No one can doubt the price differential – but is that a result of currency variations – or market differences?

There are a numbers of reasons why MXP-NYC might price more competitively than ZRH-NYC; I’d suggest foremost amongst these is the recent arrival of Emirates, very much the challenger without an established market presence – or customer base – for the route. On the other hand, its product offering is clearly strong. It is not that suprising that strong price competition has resulted.

There is clearly advantage to be taken of the vagaries of airline ticket pricing – but not sure I’ve seen evidence that any of this is currency driven?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

But Alex… its not just from Swiss/Italy

I reported on another thread………

DUB-MCO – DUB- ca. £800 in business (so plus another £100 max back to London)

AMS-BKK-AMS (via London) £1,300.

European competition… long may it continue….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The Swiss don’t even need to go as far as Milan Central Alex, which is another hour by train, they just go to Lugano and Emirates will collect them from there.

The other factor is many Swiss companies in the Northern part will not travel ex Milan, they have their corporate deals and being Swiss Franc based the deals do not change for them in Swiss Franc terms.

I do use MXP as it’s only 45 minutes and as you rightly point out, the savings are considerable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls