Alex on… rail travel between London and Spain

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Today for the first time it was possible to travel by train between Barcelona and Paris without a change. The route is via Perpignan and Lyon and the total journey time is 6 hours 25 minutes.

capetonianm
    Participant

The service is non-stop from Paris Gare de Lyon to Montpellier, then Perpignan, then Figueres and Girona, It does not stop at Lyon.
    Current departure times from Paris are 0715 and 1407, arriving 1340 and 2040 Barcelona Sants.
    Northbound timings 0920 and 1620, arriving 1553 and 2245.

The service will be increased to 4 daily returns from the beginning of April.

Thanks for correction capetonianm 😉

capetonianm
    Participant

Not really a correction, Alexpo. The route is via Lyon – but there is no scheduled stop there.
    Friends of mine are doing this trip tomorrow and I am likely to do it within the next few weeks.

Hello capetonianm

Here is the timetable for the second daily northbound service:

Girona
    16:58
    17:01

Figueres Vilafant
    17:15
    17:18

Perpignan
    17:44
    17:51

Narbonne
    18:24
    18:27

Beziers
    18:41
    18:44

Montpellier Saint-Roch
    19:21
    19:24

Nîmes
    19:49
    19:52

Paris Gare de Lyon

I find it quite strange that there is no stop at Lyon.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In case you missed it, here’s the news piece we ran earlier this week about the ending of the Elipsos Franco-Spanish overnight trains.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100054/elipsos-sleeper-train-withdrawn-from-service

The Paris-Barcelona service is one of several new Franco-Spanish high-speed rail links.

Refer to Elipsos.com and you’ll see a handy route diagram which shows Lyon served as a separate destination from Barcelona.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Looks like only 3 flights a day Lyon to Barcelona (Easyjet &Vueling). I guess they figure not much demand for the route, or people will be happy to change. It might also be down to slots on the line – but I wouldn’t have thought that would be an issue.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Or it could be that by not stopping at Lyon, SNCF/RENFE can offer a shorter overall Paris-Barcelona journey time.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls