Alex on… Garuda’s new London route

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

The news that Indonesia’s Garuda will return to London this October aroused a lot of interest on this forum.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Garuda-to-London-in-October

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/forum/Airports

Garuda will operate six times a week non-stop between Jakarta and London Gatwick using brand new B777-300ERs seating 300+ passengers in a first, business and economy layout.

Bookings will open in April. Not only will it be the UK’s sole direct link with Indonesia it will also be the first time the route has seen non-stop service.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/garuda-to-launch-gatwick-jakarta-service

Details of timings and the exact seating configuration have yet to be announced. But a luxury product is planned in first class complete with suites and a chef to prepare the meals. Business class will almost certainly feature fully flat-bed seats. But the jury is out regarding economy class.

Forum poster ‘flyingveryhigh’ claims that the configuration will be eight in first, 38 in business and 268 in economy class. This seems accurate judging by reports in the Asian media which talk about Garuda’s B777-300ER carrying 314 passengers.

I had thought that Garuda would adopt the unpopular ten-across layout in economy. Other forum posters disagreed.

Maybe I am wrong in the light of Air Canada announcing that it’s found space for 458 passengers on its new fleet of B777-300ERs by adopting a ten-across layout in economy.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/air-canada-to-operate-b777-300er-with-new-busin

So Garuda’s 300 + layout appears spacious by comparison. Perhaps nine-across will survive.

But why has Garuda chosen London for its flagship service? Surely Garuda would have chosen Amsterdam, historically its main European gateway?

Well Amsterdam might go non-stop in future (Garuda’s existing service is flown one-stop with a smaller A330) but right now Garuda wants to cash in on growing levels of trade and tourism between the UK and Indonesia.

According to routesonline.com traffic between Jakarta and London saw double digit growth in recent years.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/181292/garuda-indonesia-confirms-london-return/

The latest figures, for the first 11 months in 2012 saw 11.7 per cent more passengers ply the route. Almost 67,000 passengers flew the route in 2011.

Heathrow is the main gateway for Indonesian passengers heading for London. It accounted for 89.2 per cent of traffic between Jakarta and our capital city.

We wish Garuda well but it will have its work cut out. After being absent from the UK market since 2003 it will take time and money to build a premium reputation.

It is not yet a member of Skyteam so cannot compete in the FFP stakes.

At the cost-conscious end of the market it’s up against the indirect carriers. According to routesonline.com, in the absence of direct flights to London, Emirates controls 43.6 per cent of the market, SIA holds 27.8 per cent with Etihad on third position with 8.5 per cent.

As budget carrier Air AsiaX found to its cost when it flew non-stop London to Kuala Lumpur, the indirect carriers dictate market pricing. Air AsiaX tried to charge higher, more profitable fares, but it failed. There were times, as we reported on this website, that Air AsiaX was undercut by the Gulf carriers.

But won’t passengers pay more to fly non-stop? That wasn’t Air AsiaX’s experience. At the leisure end of the market (and Garuda will have 268 economy seats to fill) it’s the price that counts.

Indirect carriers include Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Thai, SIA, MAS and not forgetting KLM. These carriers offer very acceptable onboard products plus a choice of schedules and departure points.

Besides Jakarta, some of these carriers also fly to Bali (Denpasar) which means Garuda loses its non-stop advantage.

Ask yourself, if you’re heading for Bali would you opt for SIA out of Heathrow via Singapore (with a choice of four daily flights with onward connections) or consider Garuda from Gatwick via Jakarta (six times a week)?

Garuda must also bear in mind that that Gatwick is not convenient for everyone and it lacks the connectivity of Heathrow.

If you’re based in Glasgow or Birmingham or Manchester or Newcastle it will be easier and probably cheaper (by the time you’ve added the cost of reaching Gatwick) to route via another hub.

But Garuda has two advantages over its rivals. Jakarta is both the best gateway for the whole of Indonesia and the nearest Asian hub to Australia. Therefore it’s an ideal hub for tapping the voluminous kangaroo route.

Alex McWhirter

VintageKrug
    Participant

An interesting development.

But is it safe to fly with them?

Merlin1
    Participant

I flew Garuda 2 or 3 times in the early 1990s from Gatwick to Jakarta on business. My memory says low business class fares but my memories of their MD11 and B747 aircraft were uncomfortable seats, poor IFE, limited food choice and it may seem petty but the choice of wine was simply red or white. If a direct or almost direct route it may work but not if a stop en route like the old days, via I think Amman.

Binman62
    Participant

I flex with them domestically last year and would happily do so again.

Irons80
    Participant

I also flew SIN-JAKARTA on them last year. Was very impressed: new aircraft (737-800) in economy, seat back TVs with some blockbusters and BBC content, meal service even on a short flight, so all in all not bad at all. Was blinking expensive though – over £200 for a one-way flight and it was full to the rafters…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

The ‘new Garuda’ is said to have turned over a new leaf since the days of ‘old Garuda’.

It returned to Europe in 2010. It has new management, new planes, new colour scheme and new onboard products. It is expected to join Skyteam in 2014.

According to oagflights.com the carrier is flying x 4 a week between Jakarta and Amsterdam with an A330-200 configured for 36 business and 186 economy seats.

So the London route, to be operated by a three-class and larger B777-300ER, is quite a step up in capacity and product.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Alex a really good and detailed article looking at many aspects. It will be very interesting to see what the schedules and products will be like. From LGW I think a mid evening flight would be best, in order to arrive CGK in the afternoon.

If they go 10 across TG, SQ and MH will be most peoples choices, and thus avoid GA.

But there were rumours on another thread that BA would start Jakarta this year, probably via SIN or maybe via BKK. I wonder if Garuda starting nonstop 77W would scare them off. . . .

transtraxman
    Participant

VK@ 12:16 GMT 08/02/2013

Naughty, naughty. This is just the way to put somebody down with unsubstantiated insinuations.
    Isn´t the permission by the EU to fly into Europe sufficient for you? This is one of the things the EU is there for – to protect us and promote despite chauvinism.

Vertrek
    Participant

Nice one Alex!

I flew GA a couple of time when I am in the region.
    I can safely say, their regional product is as good as SQ and better than MH and TG. In fact the best “Y” flight yet, was with them last years between Jakarta and Manado, not only the product and offerring were really good, the FAs and passengers were cheerful too and the 4 hours flew by quickly. A FA even gave my friend a bottled of water before landing for the journey as he was not feeling well.

However, I haven’t flown them long haul, but will do so once they join Skyteam.

Recently, a colleague of mine flew them between AMS and CGK in “J”. His respond was simply “amazing” and he also noted that the rijstaffel he had during the flight was the best airline food he have so far and service was as good as SQ and the seat was better than SQ. (I guess he was referring to the old SQ “J” seat)

Overall, I am excited for GA new flight as my friends and I often travel to the archipelago both for business and leisure (mainly surfing and diving) and the more travel choices the better, as the price tend to be more competitive. As also noted by “flyingveryhigh” the Business class seat on LGW route would be new as well, I am excited to see what type of seat they’ll adopt.

Have a good weekend.
    V =)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think this article nicely explains why Garuda is now fit to fly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda_Indonesia

Can’t help thinking that by the same criteria applied to Garuda, AF should also be grounded?

canucklad
    Participant

Good to see Garuda back……

For all the flights I’ve taken, by far the most memorable was the O/B flight from Amsterdam to Bali via FRA & SIN & transit in Jarkarta…..Our ultimate destination was SYD so i could carry out my best man duties and my 2 pals the Usher duties !

I totally agree with Merlins comments about the IFE…in fact poor is actually quite complimentary…but who needs IFE when the exploits of the crew are far more entertaining…

UsherNo.1 never made it onboard in AMS due to “passport irregularities” (less than 6 months before exp)

Leaving 2 of us to continue….

Bagged our overwing exit seats, next to the toilets…..1st impressions, what a state…the aircraft was filthy and had obviousley not been cleaned from its last sector! We both sighed and reminded ourself that the tickets were cheap!!

AMS>FRA….A rather large sandwich for lunch!!

Land in FRA…The aircraft is assaulted by a cleaning crew, like dervishes they had it spic and span in a blink of the eye!

And Usher No.1 seat now taken by a lovely young German lass….But why oh why does she have underarm hair that Rapunzel would be proud of..

NOW THE FUN STARTS…The crews obsession with the toilets !!

A rather resplendid gentleman..Think tall Nigerian prince with white flowing robes enters the loo….Dimunitive stewardess strolls by with “the can of aerosol(air freshner)” Sprays into the 3 free loo’s , then brilliantly bends down and sprays under the door whilst the Kano Prince is doing his 2’s…Brilliant!!

The obsesive spraying continues throughout the journey to SIN

FRA > SIN…. A hearty lunch is served —-.A gargantuain indonesian spring rolly thing is served during the movie —- 3 course dinner before SIN—Seat belts loosened off a tad!

SIN….Crew change, and disaster, the young steward seems to be in a panic,as he scurries around confused…..A calmness that only a Buddist monk could convey is restored to the young gentleman !!!

He’s found the missing aerosol can….onwards to Djarkarta…and why not have another serving of dinner whilst the toilets freshness is maintained with each walk past…

Transit in Djarkarta, off the plane, go for a long walk—up escalators and then back down the otherside….re-board same aircraft and on to Bali…

Stewardess most put out ,when I turn down breakfast ” Is there something wrong with our food?” reluctantly I accept and pick away…

After a long journey, the seatbelt sign goes on as we make our final descent in Denpansar…..And why not leave the best to last……

The rather large Fraumeister sitting in the opposite seat decides this is the perfect opportunity to go to the loo….unseen by the CC!!

Our very polite and courteous stewardess arrives to check and lock the toilets for landing….Toilet 1 Ssssshhhh goes the spray, repeat for 2&3 and then she can’t get into 4…knock.Knock ….no reply…..

Uses the key to open the door…. Ahhh the Frau’s still on the potty…

The next ten seconds will remain vividly in my mind till my eyes close for the last time….

Our lovely stewardess mutters politelty….” Oh Oh ,so sorry” and shuts the door………………..then re-opens it enough to squeeze her hand through and yep the Frau master also gets a blast of Sssshhhh!

My sides were sore for hours afterwards…..just imagine the look of disdain as the Frau re-enters the cabin, seconds before touchdown!

Oh and when we meet Usher 1 a couple of days later…. No hellos, how’s things patter…his first words…..

” Is this island full of cannibals?”

MReedGB
    Participant

..I tried GA’s C product last year from SYD to CGK..I can’t say anything bad..food was alright and even got seconds…nice amenity kit..the service attitude was very good..the flight attendants really cared and often look if you need anything during the entire flight…the best amenity of all was the Indonesian Immigration on board. It sold entry visas and stamped them as well, no hassle when arriving in CGK…the A330 used was good…the toilettes were clean and kept clean..entertainment system worked, well the choices were not that good and finally the full flat seat…slept very good…so I do not understand why GA is described so sarcastically and to a certain point very rudely here !!! Is it because it is an Asian carrier which is not called SQ or CX or TG ? and by the way I felt safe during the entire flight!..No stupid acting or whatever flight attendants but full of grace and great attitude!! I wish GA the best and hopefully they keep the good C class product they are having right now.

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi MReedGB,

If you are new here, welcome to the forum.
    Try not to get upset by the childish comments posted above, just scan through and ignore them. This forum should be focused on the Business Traveller post, the first post. =)

Having said that, after a long day at work, I have to say, the story of canucklad makes me laugh, especially the “Frau” part. So, thanks Canucklad for that, but I am sure that he/she knows that GA is now a different airlines, hopefully.

I flew GA when I am in the region quiet often and they are actually really good. The only reason I am not flying them from long haul is because they are not part of Skyteam yet and I’d be wasting 13K miles, not because of the bad images that the media portray. =)

V

canucklad
    Participant

Hi MReedGB…….Its interesting how text can be mis-interprated……

At no point.was my intention to sully Garuda….quite the opposite,on all 4 flights the service was exrmplary…..even with the lack of IFE

In fact, the overall experiance was a major factor in me boycotting BA all those years ago…

I do recall being very concerned that we departed Bali in a severe tropical storm…pretty sure a european carrier would have delayed the flight—-but i’m still here so…..

And Vertrek, I’m definately carrying an undercarriage :>)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls