Alex on… can Norwegian really fly transatlantic low-cost?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

• craigwatson
    Participant

it is only a 4 hour flight, shorter than London to Cairo, and about the same as London to Moscow

canucklad
    Participant

Will definitely appeal to the Newfie’s and other Maritimer’s .
    Will definitely attract budget conscious Torontonians and that’s about it.

Just checked DUB-YVR for July…..very competitive at under £800 but 3X5 hour flights in 737!!

Like Alex said…….ehhhh no !

However, hats off to Westjet for having the ability to be able to book multiple sectors, something other LCC’s don’t allow you to do … : )

Oh, also read that O’Leary isn’t worried about the new kid on his patch…..apparently Irish people would rather travel on his new route to Montenegro than Canada ! ..Bloody Cheek LOL

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I realise it’s not that long a flight. But I thought that any plane which has to undertake such a long overwater mission would have to be modified in some way.

The other budget service, this time with a narrow-bodied A320, will be Wow Air’s proposed LGW-REK-BOS service. Fares are not yet available.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/wow-air-to-fly-from-lgw-to-boston

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Boeing gives a 3115nm range for 162 pax in a 2-class configuration for the B738 whereas Airbus cites 3,300nm for the A320neo with 150pax in 2-class configuration. Converting them to LCC CattleClassConfiguration with, respectively 189 and 180 pax plus hold baggage, and the ranges will clearly reduce.

With, for example London to NYC: 3460nm and to YYZ: 3548, without a stopover at either DUB or SNN and, with entirely possible N Atlantic headwinds, these planes just don’t have the legs with these kind of load factors.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Must not forget that Privat Air used to operate all business class from ZRH to EWR on behalf of Swiss in a 737, so Dublin -St. John’s at about 4 hours really shouldn’t be a problem, even in an Economy configuration.

Edski777
    Participant

Is it just me or is it becoming a bit crowded on routes across the Atlantic? Big and smaller planes introduced, but many more operators!
    Anyhow, this increase in flights and available seats must somehow affect the pricing.

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

Sorry, Norwegian, but the last thing we need now is more seats to the USA. What we need from you is decent low-cost fares between UK domestic points, please. Gatwick to Culdrose, Cardiff, Anglesey, Teesside, Preston; and Manston and Bournemouth to Manchester and Edinburgh would be nice for starters.

skywards
    Participant

I would say as a traveller from NCL…No. The simple reason is I need to get to Gatwick…I done test bookings to LAX and AF is actually cheaper when I added everything up.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As you may have read elsewhere on the Forum, Norwegian Air continues to suffer from B787 delays owing to a host of technical glitches.

The concern now must be whether or not Norwegian and Boeing can sort out these problems before the carrier launches its ex-LGW transatlantic flights in the summer.

Norwegian has a fleet of three B787s at present. And the problems meant that yesterday (New Year’s Day) two B787s were stranded in either JFK or BKK. Passengers were subjected to lengthy delays and were accommodated on other aircraft which Norwegian hired from Hi-Fly and Euro Atlantic.

The airline has come under much criticism in the Scandinavian media over its inability to operate reliable long-haul service with its three strong fleet of B787s.

This article (in Norwegian language) explains the B787 problems Norwegian has faced over the busy Festive Season.

http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=10149022

Norwegian has additional B787s on order which will be needed to operated its augmented transatlantic schedule both from Scandinavia and the UK (ie LGW) this summer.

Let’s hope the newer B787s prove to be more reliable than the three currently in its fleet.

Following WestJet’s announcement, Europe Airpost will also start a route to Canada on a 737 from CDG via Glasgow:

http://www.europeairpost.com/en/vols-halifax/

SimonS1
    Participant

ConstantFlyer – Gatwick to Anglesey? Really? Sounds like the type of trip you send the in laws on.

I can see how that one would pay its way.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

alexpo1 – Interesting route from Europe Airpost.

But the difference between Europe Airpost and Norwegian is that the former would appear to be a seasonal charter service plying a niche route whereas the latter would be offering year round scheduled routes to main destinations.

In the days before Laker Skytrain, it was the charter carriers who brought cheap transatlantic travel to the masses.

It was only when the big scheduled carriers started cutting their prices, in response to the threat from Laker Skytrain, that the charter airlines began losing market share and slimmed down their operations.

The charter carriers never really returned in any force. And really, judging by what Norwegian is charging, the latter is charging roughly what the charter airlines would have charged in the old days.

In other words, Norwegian’s pricing is not as low or as revolutionary as Laker Skytrain was back in the ’70s.

In 1977 I was working in the travel industry and I remember that Laker started off by charging £59 one-way on a stand-by basis (the original Skytrain was stand-by only) a passenger queue would form in the early morning at Victoria station for LGW-JFK seats.

It must also be noted that taxes/fees/charges were minimal in 1977 compared with what we must pay today.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I imagine Boeing will have to pay quite some compensation to Norwegian for lost revenues and I hope these delays won’t push Norwegian over the edge. Boeing really must get this plane sorted out promptly as many people, including myself are still reluctant to fly on it.

BigDog.
    Participant

Let the price wars begin.

Norwegian starts its budget services from LGW to New York, LA and Fort Lauderdale from £150 one way – low season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2674866/Norwegian-launches-budget-flights-London-America-just-150-one-way.html

LA route a possibility?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28127489

kevin46
    Participant

I give it a year, maybe two.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls