Alex on… can Norwegian really fly transatlantic low-cost?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello SM

Was it Washington National ? It might have been the North Terminal at EWR which was billed in those days as a “concrete hulk.” But you must give credit for the innovation shown by People Express when it brought its cost-saving business model to transatlantic flying.

Hello Tim

Yes you could be right. Details will emerge nearer the time. Right now Norwegian Air only has two B787s (both of which have had to be worked on by Boeing) so it will need additional B787s (which have yet to be built) to operate both the expanded US service out of Scandinavia plus the three new US routes out of LGW.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Seem to remember a dreadful, prehistoric terminal in Washington DC. Paid for the fare in cash after boarding, as if on a bus.”

Sounds like the BA shuttle in the 1970s (the paying onboard bit.)

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Yes, must have been Washington National – there was a memorable sign as we crouched in the Third World terminal, which teasingly stated:

“You know that modern, comfortable terminal you wish you were in right now?

We’re building it”

Somehow it wrankled, such that I remember it to this day!

alanorton
    Participant

As a business traveller to Florida and someone who has used Norwegian to CPH from LGW in the past, if I can, I’ll give them a try.
    If I can get a reasonable one way fare to FLL that is. (I generally fly back out of a different part of the US).

I think they should be commended for giving it a go.

Personally, avoiding MIA is a big draw to me, FLL is a decent compact airport, very well positioned, close to beaches, Ft. Lauderdale city & beach, Port Everglades, I-95 and the Turnpike.

Surely, if they succeed this will be a good thing as frequency may improve, and maybe another carrier will join the fray.

I take the family with me to FL twice per year, and the joint avios earning BA offers is a factor, as are other FF options with other airlines. However, saving even £500 off the best priced option of the legacy airlines (once all is factored in) would likely sway me to try them, and may well other families.

Finally, most users of Norwegian aren’t going to be going fast track, sitting in lounges, demanding priority boarding. Take that out of the mix and I don’t see much difference between most airports, so not sure their choice of LGW South should be seen as that third world.

transtraxman
    Participant

Some things which wrankle – sorry, rankle – a lot.

“ashame” does not exist. It is ” a shame” = it is “a pity”.

and the frequent misuse of contractions et al……
    “there” = in that place, “over here, over there”.
    “there´re” = as in “there are more passengers flying than before”
    “they´re” = as in “they are improving as a group but much is desired individually”.
    “their” = as in “of them”, “their faces were familiar”.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Transtraxman

I wrote ashame thinking that was not right – but alas I did not check and just sent it through as was – thank you for the polite correction. When it comes to there / their etc I admit to being lazy sometimes!

Going completely off thread (admin delete if you want), I wonder how those with English as a 2nd language cope sometimes:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture..

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear..

19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Very good Tim, the wonderful world of homonyms 🙂

Andrew66
    Participant

Very funny post Tim TC, I always understand the use of there, their and they’re , it was drummed into me at junior school !! At least I remembered something , in regards to those learning and using English as a second language your list shows how difficult our language must be , but then I struggled with German at school especially with Der , Die and Das , I just hit a mental block with it , I understand German words etc but have never had the opportunity to practise ( not not practice ) !! my German because so many of them speak perfect English , they finish my sentence in English before I can even think the German words .

Anyway , back on topic , I think it’s a little unfair to paint LGW with some people’s idea of the stereotyped leisure traveller being its only users , there are many business travellers using the airport and they are mainly on an LCC , so another fast expanding airline like Norwegian has a good chance of succeeding too .

transtraxman
    Participant

TimFitzgeraldTC – 04/11/2013 18:04 GMT

An excellent post Tim.

It just goes to show how English is such an easy /difficult language.
    But not so much if you have learnt other languages and their grammar rules.

Maybe “I should of read that again” – or should that read “I should have read that again”.
    There are many more.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I seem to recall the story of an English language student in London who decided to give up after seeing a theatre billboard saying “Cats – pronounced success!”

canucklad
    Participant

Reminds me of the old joke……

Man at the Olympics goes up to an athlete holding a long stick and asks….

Are you a pole vaulter……

And the athlete replies……

No, I’m German but how did you know my name was Vaulter !!

And staying off topic…..and talking of daft signs……

Many years ago there used to be a big hotel overlooking the road bridge at South Queensferry……It got knocked down and placed in front of the huge mountain of rubble created by the demolition……

” This hotel is now closed”

BigDog.
    Participant

WestJet enters the no frills atlantic fray.

A flash in the pan Alex or an indicator of a medium term trend?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511675/Canadas-WestJet-airline-offers-budget-trans-Atlantic-tickets-Dublin.html

…Introductory fares mean WestJet’s passengers flying from St. John’s to Dublin would pay approximately £230 for a return flight, while tickets from Toronto to Dublin would cost around £360…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s interesting and could start a new trend. But the B737s would have to be certified for transatlantic operation. .

A B737 will be cheaper to operate than a brand new B787. And in the case of Ireland you will pay less to fly in and out of Dublin because Irish aviation tax (which costs only a few Euros now) will be abolished next April.

But the prospect of crossing the Atlantic in a high-density narrow-bodied plane isn’t an attractive one.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Alex

They currently operate YVR to the islands so I’m sure their thought process is St.John’s to Dublin….No sweat !!

After all, Mid Atlantic and you still have Greenland and Iceland……!/2 way across the Pacific and i’ts just ocean…..warmer ocean , but ocean all the same!

And Westjet compared to Ryanair is like CX compared to uhmmmm !! lol

Str8Talking
    Participant

Air Canada has no problem operating the seasonal Heathrow-St. John’s using A319. Even easier heading to Dublin I would imagine.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls