Alex On … Are you listening Qatar Airways ?Create Topic

Home Forums Business Traveller Blogs Alex On… Alex On … Are you listening Qatar Airways ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FDOS_UK 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interesting interview which Marisa Cannon conducted yesterday with Iberia’s CCO on the launch of its new premium cabin.

Interview: Iberia’s CCO on new premium economy seat

When ask why Iberia was introducing premium economy, CCO Marco Sansavini replied “Business class has improved so much in this time [the previous few years] and the gap beween econpmy and business class has widened so much that we realised there is a group of people in economy that are saying, “I simply can’t afford business, but if you offer me smething closer or in between. I’m prepared to pay for it.”

Mr Sansavini’s view contrasts with that of fellow Oneworld member Qatar Airways who continues to claim (as you will have read in the premium economy surveys I have written for the magazine) that its economy class is as good as other airlines’ premium economy classes.

And now with the introduction of its new “super” business class the comfort/space gap between what Qatar Airways is offering between the two classes makes no sense to me.

Qatar Airways reveals new business class

Maybe Emirates’ plans for premium economy will lead to Qatar Airways changing its mind.

Emirates set to launch premium economy

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

It is about time airlines stepped up the game and moved away from charging ludicrous prices for what is in effect only 7 extra inches of seat pitch. Never mind the latest Business class offerings, premium economy is not, and never has been half way between Economy and Business……. except in price, and as for the government taxing it the same as Business Class – what a joke!!

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Just back form LHR-DOH-AKL-DOH-LHR in J with QR on an A380 from/to LHR and a 777-200LR from/to AKL.
    I enjoyed my flights very much, even the 17HRS back to DOH from AKL, the crew were fantastic on all the flights. Greeted by name, personal welcome aboard, thanked individually at the end for flying with QR, ( my partner who is more accustomed to BA couldn’t believe his ears!), decent food (but very similar out and back to AKL, not great),BUT, while I would never contemplate such a flight in Y, I don’t think I would do so in Y+ either. The usual offering for Y+ is 4-6 inches for extra legroom and possible a bit of recline and better food but at a price that is 50% plus of Y.What made two very long flights not just suvivable but enjoyable, was a flat bed! Yes, I appreciate that the people in Y didn’t get one but they knew they hadn’t paid for “extra” comfort which I don’t think happens in Y+ much unless for a daylight flight of about 6-9 hours, when you do see real benefits.
    I have paid for Y+ on both BA and VS in the past. Indeed, on LHR-SFO flights on VS I’ve had a great time. I understand form FDOS_UK and others here that Y+ does have something to offer but not if you start to pretend it is “business lite”. I can understand why EK are wavering with so many longer type flights. God knows, Y has become horrible on most airlines but I am not convinced most people will see the benefit for their money if they “upgrade” to Y+
    Stick to the mad QR sales,when they come along!!!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Great post, Alex.

it is self evident to anyone that the premium economy offer breaks down into two parts

1 – the seat
    2 – the other stuff

The seat in QR Y is not much different to any other Y seat – end of. Nowhere near a W seat.

The ‘Y’ F and B and checked baggage allowance probably are not far away from W on some other airlines and the IFE is good.

As to the fitness of purpose of W, I take a lot of daytime flights to the Gulf, from the UK. I find a W seat more than adequate for a 6.5 hour trip.

Sometimes, coming back, I have to take a shortish overnight flight – the reality is that you’re not going to get a lot of sleep regardless of what you class you are in, so I’ll choose W for that, too.

I typically pay 30-50% more for W, which given the low base of a Y fare, I find good value for money – whereas business is usually multiples of the Y price.

True long haul flying is a different matter, more space and lie flat come into their own and the cost is justifiable. Tokyo in F or J is a prime example.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.