Alcohol Free and Low Alcohol options when flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

I’m not much of a drinker and personally wish airlines would put as much effort into their non alcoholic drinks as they do the booze.

Not just alcohol free wine/beer/fizz but also a greater range of fresh squeezed juices, mocktails, smoothies etc.

It was actually my biggest criticism of my flights in J on Saudia (well apart from the JED transit experience).

I went in knowing they didn’t serve alcohol so assumed they would dedicate there beverage resources to a kick-butt range of non-alcoholic drinks. WRONG. On the four sectors I flew with them I was not actually asked once what i’d like to drink with my meal.

A glass of water was automatically poured.

The beverage section of the menu listed ‘selection of juices’ and ‘selection of soft drinks’.

When I enquired what they had it was fresh OJ, carton concentrate apple/tomoato. And coke/coke zero or sprite. The only saving grace beverage wise was that they offered espresso coffee drinks in J.

Craig Bright

Further to OP’s response from Virgin Atlantic, here’s a bit more information on their new Nolo – non- and low-alcohol range – that is coming to economy, premium and Upper Class.

Virgin Atlantic launches no- and low-alcohol cocktail menu

simeoncox
    Participant

Which would be worse: dealing with the legless or dealing with someone withdrawing from alcohol?

Zero alcohol substitutes can at least offer a placebo effect.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Air France replied to my enquiry. They wrote:

French Gastronomy is in our Airline DNA and our beverages offer try to be large for all the customers in all the classes, for every taste with non-alcoholic drinks, wine & champagne.

We already work to boost the ‘moktails’ offer & ‘detox bar’in partnership with ‘le palais des thés’ in the lounges.

Air France sent their entire menu of food and drink for all classes. There were fruit juices but there wasn’t any non-alcoholic beer available. I didn’t dare reply and mention the non-alcoholic sparkling wine ‘So Jennie’ in case in resulted in Les gilets jaunes returning to the streets!

HRTraveling
    Participant

I wish that BA would carry a Bloody Mary Mix or Tobassco

I wish that BA would serve a Virgin Mary, the only thing need is Tobasco sauce added to be bar, or Bloody Mary Mix, neither is available.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Null Komma Josef is pretty good, as is Warsteiner, ditto San Miguel 0.0, and Clausthaler. Becks Blue is vile. I’m not a fan of Radler except for the lemon-flavoured one (I know that sounds like sacrilege, but it actually tastes quite nice!).

Unfortunately, most pubs that I have tried seem to have opted for Becks Blue as their 0% option, and I see VS are doing the same.

Personally I know most of my family are heading in the opposite direction – the Memsahib and Offspring are all big fans of Crabbie’s – the alcoholic version of that usually non-alcoholic stalwart, ginger beer!

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=913632]French Gastronomy is in our Airline DNA and our beverages offer try to be large for all the customers in all the classes, for every taste with non-alcoholic drinks, wine & champagne.[/quote]

This from an airline that ran out of wine before we left Chinese airspace on a flight from HKG back to CDG : )
    I’d add that IMO AF falls well below other airlines offerings, including Flybe’s BOB proposition

capetonianm
    Participant

Strange how tastes vary as whilst I agree with Ian that Warsteiner is about the best, I find Becks Blue pretty good, and it does seem to be the default in most places. That said, I’ll often choose a lime and soda over Becks Blue.

I am a bit sick of being sneered at when asking for non-alcohol beer in restaurants, particularly Indian, it’s as if non-drinkers are some kind of social outcast. I am quite proud of the fact that I am able to resist drinking when circumstances require that.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I posted in this thread earlier highlighting that no business model is possible to satisfy “all” customers if they don’t want to pay. But it looks like posters here will definitely like more non-alcoholic drinks.
    Here is one suggestion: one can request crew to make a Shandy or one can make one himself/herself – just lower and keep the beer quantity to a level so that it does not taste just lemonade!

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=914372]Here is one suggestion: one can request crew to make a Shandy or one can make one himself/herself – just lower and keep the beer quantity to a level so that it does not taste just lemonade![/quote]

Reminds me of a time when I was younger , and at a party that was winding down , both in numbers and booze — perhaps there was correlation : )
    Anyway, the remaining few of us had to share the last bottle of Scotland’s finest and use bottles of lemonade to stretch the volume….

Interestingly enough as I mixed the last of the whisky with lemonade I realised with the ratio I had blended I was tasting another type of drink , indeed something very familiar…….. any guesses what my diluted whisky tasted like?

Tramor01
    Participant

Canucklad – By any chance are you talking about that drink “made in Scotland from girders” … Irn-Bru 😉

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=girders+irn+bru&view=detail&mid=7D592CED2B2CA591A2B17D592CED2B2CA591A2B1&FORM=VIRE

canucklad
    Participant

Spot on Tramor01
    I suspect that’s why whisky is so popular….
    Irn Bru is to whisky what those annoying vapour cigs are to Marlboro ‘s

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LHR. T5 F lounge now promoting alcohol free beer and some delicious sparkling tea options.

Andrew
    Participant

One of the FT’s correspondents reconed Dry January was easy – dry sherry, dry martini, dry cabernet sauvignon and dry gin!

EmmaS
    Participant

I have always enjoyed a glass of wine when flying. Recently I have been diagnosed with kidney disease so I can’t really drink alcohol now. I don’t like sweet fizzy drinks & they are bad for my disease so my options are only water which I drink all day.

I have discovered Heineken zero which tastes very like normal beer and is sold in most of my local pubs. This should be offered as an alternative on planes for people who either don’t or can’t drink alcohol and who have to drive on arrival.

People that say what’s the point of alcohol free beer, well I like the taste, it is better for you than coke or other fizzy drinks & there are loads of people with health issue that mean they can’t have alcohol but would like a beer!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls