Airports opening, airlines flying – the re-emerging of aviation.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 192 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

Interesting that Singapore is not on the list.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I feel all these lists, whether, Airbridges, flight corridors, supposed entry agreements, have an air of arrogance from within both the EU and UK. I understand people need to move, people need or want to go on holiday and the economies within the world need to open up. However, whilst “Europe” opens up, the rest of the world appear to not even be answering / commenting on the EU / UK lists of supposed reciprocal arrangements.

Irrespective of which news paper you read, for UK nationals especially, the world remains SHUT. We may be able to fly to Frankfurt and transit, but there are very few, if any destinations on the list, a UK national (probably unlikely for an EU resident either) can enter, other than to go on a European based holiday… Even one of Noel’s superb video reports, showed the confusion that remains in Frankfurt.

It would be better for both countries who agree to reciprocal entry arrangements to publicly agree, before any list is published.

So much for Greece opening today….

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1002334]Irrespective of which news paper you read, for UK nationals especially, the world remains SHUT.[/quote]

Looks like I will be heading back to Dubai in early August now that has reopened. I believe Kenya will make an announcement on 6th July about reopening and Tanzania and Zambia already back online.

A slight pain coming back but will probably overcome that with an overnight in Madrid to avoid UK quarantine and get back to Gatwick rather than Heathrow.

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1002314][/postquote]

Fights are already flying from Singapore to some EU capitals, hence no need to add.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1002345]A slight pain coming back but will probably overcome that with an overnight in Madrid to avoid UK quarantine and get back to Gatwick rather than Heathrow.[/quote]

Notwithstanding covid testing pre or on arrival into Dubai (today) plus possible quarantine elsewhere + the need for an employee of an FCA regulated company (this was mentioned in a previous post SimonS1) to make an unintended overnight stop in Madrid to avoid an otherwise 14 days of self isolation/quarantine on return to the UK (current rules) indeed, the world is opening in a very straightforward, clear and open format.

[quote quote=1002372]Fights are already flying from Singapore to some EU capitals, hence no need to add.[/quote]

Flights are arriving into the UK/EU from many countries, including the USA. The issue is that UK citizens were / are meant to benefit from Air bridges, Corridors or agreements. As of today they appear still to be one way, i.e. into the UK, not out of the UK for UK / EU citizens apart from holiday resorts and Dubai soon.

But… tomorrow is another day…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And more uncertainty for non-EU nationals … this time from Belgium.

‘Not certain’ that Belgium will obey EU recommendations on borders

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1002393]Notwithstanding covid testing pre or on arrival into Dubai (today) plus possible quarantine elsewhere + the need for an employee of an FCA regulated company (this was mentioned in a previous post SimonS1) to make an unintended overnight stop in Madrid to avoid an otherwise 14 days of self isolation/quarantine on return to the UK (current rules) indeed, the world is opening in a very straightforward, clear and open format.[/quote]

The FCA don’t have anything to do with UK border controls, so I wouldn’t worry on that score Martyn.

In any case why do you assume unintended? We have business in Europe, it could be combined with business meetings, in fact I was on Zoom with a client in Madrid only last Friday. I certainly wouldn’t be in Madrid accidentally, so any stop there would be deliberate (or intended). In flying from Madrid to London I would of course follow any quarantine arrangements for such arrivals. Having been tested in Dubai only 2 weeks previously and found negative I don’t see a major issue…..I don’t think the intention is for business travellers to undergo thrice weekly testing like Premier League players.

In fact I would probably be at higher risk in Leicester than in Dubai or Madrid.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1002345]slight pain coming back but will probably overcome that with an overnight in Madrid to avoid UK quarantine[/quote]

A very bravado statement Simon that can only be understood 1 way, but now note the backtrack of a ‘possible’ meeting.

[quote quote=1002419]In fact I would probably be at higher risk in Leicester than in Dubai or Madrid.[/quote]

For someone who is the first to shout for people to justify statements with “where is the medical / scientific evidence”, I presume you can evidence the statement , “higher risk in Leicester than Dubai or Madrid”.

As a person who is meant to be ‘fit and proper’ – your statement (pre back track) appears to suggest you are using a night stop in Madrid to avoid (dodge) UK quarantine, very professional.

Flying dogs in PJ’s is so much easier and simpler than flying passengers. Dogs don’t try and avoid the rules, the requirements are simple to follow and generally our 4 legged friends only fall foul of the rules when their 2 legged owners try to beat the system… a film star arriving in Australia springs to mind.

Returning to the original discussion, I still only read about the UK/EU trying to build reciprocal travel/hassle free routes – the USA are only interested in where their ‘folk’ can travel to, whilst banning most non USA residents from entering and I have not read about any discussions between Asian countries and European countries about reciprocal travel/hassle free arrangements.

BUT, the good news is we can all go on holiday….

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1002449]For someone who is the first to shout for people to justify statements with “where is the medical / scientific evidence”, I presume you can evidence the statement , “higher risk in Leicester than Dubai or Madrid”.

As a person who is meant to be ‘fit and proper’ – your statement (pre back track) appears to suggest you are using a night stop in Madrid to avoid (dodge) UK quarantine, very professional.[/quote]

No, I couldn’t evidence it with facts, but then I couldn’t really care either way. Leicester seems to be the only one of the 3 with a lock down though.

If I can fly legally from Dubai to Madrid, and then fly legally from Madrid to London then I would do so. I have business I can do to make it worthwhile, although in reality I don’t think the UK quarantine model will stagger on much longer (just my personal view). Whether the Spanish authorities require some quarantine for travellers from Dubai remains to be seen.

I know the thought of the economy opening up and businesses being able to operate at part capacity grieves and upsets some posters on here, but there comes a point where businesses and jobs need to be protected instead of sitting back and watching people laid off in their thousands.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1002453]I know the thought of the economy opening up and businesses being able to operate at part capacity grieves and upsets some posters on here, but there comes a point where businesses and jobs need to be protected instead of sitting back and watching people laid off in their thousands.[/quote]

Agree with you wholeheartedly. So lets get on with 2 way air bridges and corridors to enable exporters of products and services to continue working with overseas customers and clients. It will take more than just allowing people into the UK – the same countries need to let our people into their country at the same time.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1002456][/postquote]

Well Dubai is already letting Brits in….test on arrival and no quarantine if clear (I gather it is slightly different for Abu Dhabi arrivals).

For me the nonsense is quarantine on return. That’s why I have no issues with using judgement (as Dominic Cummings said) and being creative. Many things can be done creatively but legally from ex-EU air tickets to crossing borders.

SimonS1
    Participant

Looks like the game is up on the quarantine front.

https://www.ft.com/content/aee759d4-8495-4203-8dd7-83531af64f03

“Britons will be told they can visit more than 70 overseas destinations from Monday without having to self-isolate for 14 days on their return — as ministers dismantle their quarantine policy”.

cwoodward
    Participant

Total madness!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi Alex.
    Apologies for not responding earlier re Air France catering issue, but have been v busy and On Call…

The reason i stated that catering was suspended on many European routes, was that i was sent a message by the CEO of Air France, that was issued to the Frequent Flyers to update them.
    The next day a more general message was sent to customers again stating no food or drink for European flights.
    The following day, it was featured in one of your news/ summary articles sent out by BT! All stating the same.

This is part of the text..from the General message the day i noted it on here.
    “On each of our flights and in all our cabins, your health and that of our crews is our top priority. The hygiene measures introduced as a result of the crisis mean that we have to adapt our in-flight service to minimize interactions and contacts. The beverage and in-flight dining services are suspended on domestic and short-haul flights within Europe.
    On long-haul flights, we are limiting the in-flight service, and prioritising the use of sealed or individually wrapped products. Snacks may be served in our Bon Appétit bags and the second meals served at the end of the flight, may be suspended.”

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/common/page_flottante/information/coronavirus.htm?_ga=2.130666377.742326986.1593748067-1240697876.1593748067&_gac=1.171568788.1593748067.EAIaIQobChMImoWumZaw6gIViqmyCh3GLwmHEAAYASAAEgIbKvD_BwE

Same with KLM, but as the situations do change so frequently at the moment it is difficult to keep up.
    I also hear of what happens from a friend who works for KLM as a Senior Purser (the flight Manager), and the new policies they now operate, what is now happening on board, how he has to manage the flights.
    However, he manages only Long Haul services.

KLM I am sure would introduce what they can, being a very pro-active Airline, well managed around the customer, and being one of the few remaining Airlines who continued in recent years, to serve a sandwich, beverages hot cold, bar service, even on the shortest flights. This, whilst many Airlines like BA, who have introduced charges as low cost carriers do.

Most Airlines have suspended services for European flights, or had done, whilst there seems to be a general re-introduction from many Airlines, for returning to a new normal for long haul flights.
    A good examples, Singapore stating that “Will return to a new normal”, with medium and long haul service as before, but with increased hygiene policies, and precautions.

Lounges will also be a major issue with many Airlines Lounges closed.
    I read about Qantas domestic Lounges, so it certainly can be done, but will require more staffing.
    Certainly, buffet style help yourself, and even bar services within lounges, for transmission purposes, seem to have stopped.
    That is, if the Lounges are open at this time! It seems most lounges, major adaptations will need to be introduced, with “service from staff”, rather than buffet style offerings.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1002726][/postquote]

Hi SimonS1,
    Not from Monday 6th but from Friday 10th https://news.sky.com/story/englands-travel-quarantine-to-be-scrapped-for-trips-from-spain-france-italy-and-germany-12020008

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls