Airports – Gone and some forgotten

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Fornebu is still there, not operating as an airfield, but with some offices and the odd home scattered about. But not much changed.

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks Esselle.

UrbaneGent
    Participant

Stapleton anyone? And of course Meigs Field.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry, I added the “r”by accident. And I once lived nearby in Chester, so know the area well!

Thanks for telling everyone how to pronounce it Openfly. It has of course been the unfortunate recipient of many a joke. Isn’t it just great us men never really lose our childhood humour? 😉

BigDog.
    Participant

Wrt Hawarden – is there any other airport which is in one country (Flintshire-Wales) but identified by a city in another (Chester-England)?

…..And yes am aware it is believed both Chester and Liverpool have in some point in history, been regarded as the capital of Wales.

For those interested in more Abandoned /Forgotten Airports this site has it well covered and growing…

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/united-kingdom/

Basel Mulhouse?

Very sad in the case of the 2 Spanish airports, but Ciudad Real did handle regular Ryanair, airberlin and vueling flights before its closure.

I too have (not too) fond memories of Ellinikon – the only one I know in the DT article.

Out of interest BigDog, which airport did you not realise had closed?

And thanks for the above link – I look forward to reading about little-known airfields in NI.

transtraxman
    Participant

@BigDog

Thanks for the link- most fascinating.

Curious it is that Liverpool has been known by some as the capital of Wales, and of Ireland by others.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Basel Mulhouse is still very much in existence.

LOL LP

I’m afraid you have to go all the way back to 19:21 GMT and BigDog’s question.

Ffs, I hope you are having a nice dinner coz the oven is on the blink here!

canucklad
    Participant

Well BigDog I used your link to hunt down information on a neighbouring villages international aerodome. Alas Kirknewtown’s proud history doesn’t register on their website.

Strangely a few years ago a rumour “flew” about the local pubs in and around the surrounding area that Sir Michael of the the Blarney had been spotted checking out the facilities to use as an alternative to nearby EDI . Just going to finish off this post then head down to the chippie to get Elvis to fry me up some fish and chips.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Aha Alexpo. I think he may have deleted that reference after s/he saw your question mark as I could not find it. I thought you were questioning its existence. 😉

BigDog.
    Participant

alexpo1- 29/05/2014 19:56 GMT Hi Alex – it was Ellinkon – as fairly often the airport code (ATH, HKG etc) is moved to the new airport one is not aware until the next visit,

LP – No delete/edit on my part, methinks Alex was responding to my question about any other instance of an airport being in one country (Wales) being marketed/named by a city in another (Chester-England).

Now I recall in my Skiing days one could exit GVA to the French side avoiding double immigration/customs.

fatbear
    Participant

The current Munich Airport only opened in 1992. I flew to the old Airport a couple of times in the 1970s from Tegel. When Tegel closes this will be a route between two airports no longer in existence !

I believe you can still exit GVA to/from the French side

PhilipHart
    Participant

I miss Fornebu Airport, Oslo.

Used to fly in there often when I lived and worked in Stavanger in the late 80s.

Quaint old terminal buildings, and a nice trip into the City Centre through the western Oslo suburbs.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

My selection would be Berlin Tempelhof and Hong Kong Kai Tak.

1. Berlin Tempelhof. The last few occasions I used this airport was with Sabena using its Bae 146s from Brussels. Tempelhof is really close to Berlin Mitte. Outside the terminal there is a landmarked square “Platz der Luftbruecke” and here there is an U-Bahn station from where the Mitte district is just three or four stops away.

2. Hong Kong Kai Tak. Many of you I am sure will have landed here in the past. Not only was Kai Tak so close to both Kowloon and the Island but on several occasions to save money I also took the public bus on occasion. I cannot remember the fare but it was very inexpensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls