Airport rankings

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• Anonymous

transtraxman
    Participant

As published by the Economist 15th April last, according to Skytrax.
    “The best airport on the planet “

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2013/04/airport-rankings

Singapore is voted number 1. Heathrow comes in at 10. Not one US airport made the top ten.

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2013/Airport2013.htm

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2013/top100.htm

VintageKrug
    Participant

Interesting.

The problem with Heathrow is that parts of it are market leading, and other parts (even in the newer bits) are a horror show.

Hopefully when T2 opens, most of it will be top notch. I’d expect LHR to move up those rankings in coming years, in a last hurrah, before the newer purpose built facilities come to dominate the top ten.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

But these are Skytrax awards so no credability.

Binman62
    Participant

No credibility perhaps but in my view with a few exceptions they are unerringly accurate.
    Think DEN and SFO being harshly judged and I simply do not understand the love affair with AMS which in my experience is a bit run down.

SIN is undoubtedly the best and I suspect that LHR only makes it due T5 but given that light rain seems to bring it to a grinding halt 10th place is generous.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“SFO”

+1, a tidy and easy to use airport.

I am surprised that Madrid Barajas is only in 47th position.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Best Airport Terminal – Heathrow – T5
    Best Airport Shopping – Heathrow

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2013/category.htm

TominScotland
    Participant

As always, these rankings create plenty of debate. What we are never told is exactly how they are compiled. Keflavik, for example, is way down at 81 and yet is probably the most efficient airport in Europe (yes I know, Zurich), incredibly easy to navigate, never really busy, with good shops and a fabulous location to boot. It may not be Changi but is it really below Manchester and Detroit among many others? Come on!!

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Becky…I agree with you…If LHR gets into the top 10 –then this just ruins the credibility of the list at a stroke……

Are there any other respected rankings out there….that we can compare with

I’m assuming the poll is based on quantative voting rather than mean results…..

BigDog.
    Participant

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Best low cost airport I’ve used is not STN, but RYG (Moss Rygge), compact, modern, convenient and friendly.)

Inquisitive
    Participant

As I used Changi airport frequently and many others around the world, i firmly believe that top positions for Changi year after year is definitely correct whether Skytrax is liked by many or not. I am rather surprised Heathrow is there if all the terminals considered as a whole.

canucklad
    Participant

I do however agree with the YVR rating…..

For them to climb up the list and actually become world class, they must ,make it easier for transit passengers ,especially international transit passengers……..

Still the best International arrivals I’ve ben through…biased or not…

capetonianm
    Participant

Nobody knows the criteria.

“I am surprised that Madrid Barajas is only in 47th position.”
    The fact that it is that high indicates to me that they don’t take into account the attitude and professionalism of the ground staff. I’ve had better service and attitude in places like Luanda.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls