Airlines rated on cleanliness

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s a new award category … as far as I know.

Asian carriers led by Japan’s ANA take the first six places.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/skytrax-cleanest-airlines-in-the-world-a4094271.html

I’m told by a former airline crew member that Japanese passengers are a pleasure to look after. They leave the seat and surroundings as they found it on boarding. They even fold the blankets before getting off.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Glad to see Swiss and Lufthansa in the top 10. I always find Swiss very clean and Zurich airport spotless.
    I just read the Japanese schools do not have cleaners, as the pupils do the cleaning after school hours as a way of thanking the school for the education they have received. So I can understand the Japanese pax clearing up after them. Very different to the average US passenger!

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=923714] …Japanese schools… the pupils do the cleaning after school hours [/quote]

It’s the same in South Korea, LuganoPirate. The reason is not to save money on cleaners, but to instil and promote responsibility in the students.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

To add to what LP said, whenever I fly on Swiss or Edelweiss, their aircraft look as if they have just come from the factory.

It’s a contrast to BA where I have found that the storage bins are so grubby I don’t want to put anything in them. Then there’s the seats …..

A few months ago I was at ZRH and saw them cleaning the light fittings in the terminal.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=923754]A few months ago I was at ZRH and saw them cleaning the light fittings in the terminal.[/quote]

Ha ha, I can believe that Capetonian and sorry for the oneupmanship, but the viewing gallery has some bushes and I actually saw them hoovering them!!! Wandering very slightly, frequently when taking the tram in Zurich or Bern, cleaners come on and clean the handrails and grabs. It never ceases to amaze me. Oh, and the buses have a small cupboard, where are stored a pan and brush. At the end of the line the driver will then sweep the floor before setting off again. Imagine the bus drivers in London having to do that??

capetonianm
    Participant

Imagine the bus drivers in London having to do that??

More than my job’s worth mate, we’ll have the whole bleeding union out on strike if I do that!

christopheL
    Participant

I am not Japanese (at all !) but I always fold my blanket before leaving a long haul flight. Is it that weird ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=923802]I am not Japanese (at all !) but I always fold my blanket before leaving a long haul flight. Is it that weird ?[/quote]

No it’s not, IMO. I do the same! It just feels right to do so.

Ahmad
    Participant

I am not Japanese either and I not only fold the blanket, I even fold the refreshing towel. Surely that counts as weird behaviour!

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I make sure not to leave litter around my seat. Apart from anything else, it helps to ensure that I don’t leave any personal possessions. Any odd bits of litter I usually put into the sick bag and leave that on the seat unless they do a last minute clearing round before landing.

I am disgusted at the state of some people’s seating areas when they leave.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=923649]I’m told by a former airline crew member that Japanese passengers are a pleasure to look after. They leave the seat and surroundings as they found it on boarding. They even fold the blankets before getting off.[/quote]

Well, I’m sorry, but that just isn’t proper etiquette. Folding an item implies that it can be reused, and in this context we do NOT want to encourage THAT!

If I am staying (by way of example) with relatives or at a B&B, I will fold my napkin after the meal, put towels on the rack, and so forth, signalling that I am happy for them to be reused. In a restaurant, aircraft, hotel etc., I expect them to be cleared away and replaced, so I don’t fold them.

I fear I may have drifted off-thread.

I am, with some considerable embarrassment, reminded of a time we flew THAI to London with Senior Offpsring, and allowed her (in a desperate attempt to keep her amused) to cover the entire area we were seated in with tiny stickers. Dozens of them. I am sure the cleaners weren’t happy.

I am also reminded of a time when some very dear friends of ours (despite what follows!) decided (and I wish to point out that this is something I deeply disapprove of!) to change their son’s nappy on a tray table – [warning – skip the rest of this paragraph if you are of a delicate disposition!], and the moment his nappy was removed he projectile defecated all over the window, at which point the mother, thinking quickly but perhaps not very clearly, just pulled down the window blind. Again, wouldn’t want to be the cleaner on THAT airplane!

cwoodward
    Participant

‘Well, I’m sorry, but that just isn’t proper etiquette. Folding an item implies that it can be reused, and in this context we do NOT want to encourage THAT!’

In the context of this discussion I don’t see how ‘etiquette’ has any relevance at all and I dont agree that the implication of this action is that the blanket can be reused – at least not by any reputable airline. AS for the others they would probably reuse it even if it were left in a soiled mess on the floor.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=923847] I make sure not to leave litter around my seat… [/quote]

I always tidy up my hotel room to the absolute maximum – as neat as possible. Why, 1. I was raised that way i.e. to clear up my own mess, and 2. if there’s anyone I feel sorry for in this world it is hotel room cleaning staff and the messes they no doubt have to deal with sometimes (under tight time pressure).

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=923968]I always tidy up my hotel room to the absolute maximum – as neat as possible.[/quote]

Me too, It’s an extension of being house proud I suppose.
    I’d be horrified to think that the cleaning crew in hotels that I stay in, would be saying things behind my back about my cleanliness.

My colleague is a slob, and his take on mess in the hotel room is simply…Why should I bother , when someone is paid to do it for me ! Pathetic

As for when I’m on an aircraft, especially long haul , the same applies . And as capetonianm rightly points out, it decreases the chance of forgetting or losing personal possessions in a muddle of your own mess.

I’ve actually sat next to someone who incessantly complained about legroom , yet had the seat back pocket bulging with garbage and his floor space reduced to sporadic glimpses of carpet due to discarded newspapers and empty beer cans ……Arse !!

AircraftLover
    Participant

Inside a medium-haul aircraft, there are two toilets for an average 150 economy class passengers

All aircraft toilets should be professionally cleaned before each flight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls