Airline Uniforms

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=926414]I remembered with fondness the SAA hostesses’ uniforms of the 70s. A couple of decades later I was working for a company in Europe, and to my surprise their office cleaners’ uniforms were almost identical, just without the logos.[/quote]

Perhaps someone from the ANC sold them off cheap? 😉 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Looking at the Czech Airlines video, they would definitely get my vote!

AircraftLover
    Participant

Worldwide, there were 3.979 billion passengers in 2017

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IS.AIR.PSGR

Each passenger has a unique flying experience and travel expectations

Crew uniform reflects the Airline’s personality and the Airline’s respect for passengers

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I love the CX uniforms which are stylish, colourful, yet very “Chinese”. I remember some years ago for CX’s anniversary they had crew members wearing vintage uniforms, and saw quite a few – and they really looked smart!

Overall favourite, however, has to be the uniforms ANZ had in this video 😉

handbag
    Participant

Dose anyone remember in the 80s, when the British Calededonian Purser, would go into the toilets to change into her long kilt to serve dinner. The majority of B Cal Crew were women. There were very few men employed. She was called a Flighty and wore a shirt with a white lace tie instead of plain.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=926417]

Which Airline uniform do you like?

SIA’s Sarong Kebaya has really stood the test of time. It makes SIA cabin crew and SIA itself instantly recognisable around the world.

I remember SIAs Sarong Kebaya from my first SIA flights in January 1973 (not long after SIA was founded) and it’s barely changed since.[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think SIA and Malaysia Airlines are the only 2 that hasn’t changed their uniforms one way or another over the years and agree that they stood the test of time.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Gulf Air in 1973 requested my mother Joy Stokes to design a uniform for the Gulf entity
    Here is a publicity shot of the Iconic uniform with its inspired head-dress (which has been copied by many other airlines)

Cleancabinair
    Participant

In 1967 Joy Stokes designed the very first uniform for female Cabin Crew for Gulf Aviation (as per the photo attached)

cwoodward
    Participant

Nice Cathay CC uniforms from 1967.
    The aircraft in the background is a Convair 880 and the Captain in the photograph is H.B.”Barney” Smith.
    My first ever flight with Cathay Pacific was in 1972 or 3 ex Hong Kong and it may well have been on this aircraft as Cathay only had 3 still flying at that time.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=926413]I think, uniforms can reflect the airline’s personality and the importance that the company gives to their passengers[/quote]

If done correctly, and designed with an honesty and boldness that reflects not only the airline but the country the airline represents , uniforms can be a powerful marketing tool.

Sadly, these days its all too bland, similar to the boringly basic bland liveries seen on the aircraft themselves.

Just flown Lufthansa and can’t remember the uniforms. Just that the service was “Good” , not great, just good. Maybe, there’s a direct correlation.

Emirates and Singapore stand out, as do KLM and Qatar. Apart from that it’s much a muchness.

Can’t forget CX, but then again their Cabin crew played an active role in the HK7’s spectacle inside the stadium !!

As an aside, I was looking down onto the HKG concourse and noticed 3 pilots walking towards the gate. What made them stand out was the top of their caps were white, like the old Pan Am skipper caps. Any idea of the airline ?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Canucklad, answer to your question could be Qantas. Not sure of any other airline with this style of pilot hat.

TominScotland
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls