Airline Uniforms

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• AircraftLover
    Participant

An Airline Crew uniform is an essential, and important way to make a flight attendant visible, for the onboard service, but especially, visible during an emergency situation.

I think, uniforms can reflect the airline’s personality and the importance that the company gives to their passengers

There are great airline uniforms, some of them are iconic symbols, and also an important part of Aviation’s history

Which Airline uniform do you like?

capetonianm
    Participant

I remembered with fondness the SAA hostesses’ uniforms of the 70s. A couple of decades later I was working for a company in Europe, and to my surprise their office cleaners’ uniforms were almost identical, just without the logos.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=926413]Which Airline uniform do you like?[/quote]

SIA’s Sarong Kebaya has really stood the test of time. It makes SIA cabin crew and SIA itself instantly recognisable around the world.

I remember SIAs Sarong Kebaya from my first SIA flights in January 1973 (not long after SIA was founded) and it’s barely changed since.

MarcusGB
    Participant

KLM especially for the female crews.

As “KLM Blue” for the Aircraft is famous Worldwide, as a Brand…
    They have a choice of skirts, trousers, Waistcoat..
    3 designs, and always look impeccable, mostly blond!

1-4 Silver stripes for grade of staff, Gold on Ground. A Red Band for “Long service”. Very clear who you are talking too always.
    Male crews and Flight crews always also very smart, dark Blues and Gold Bands.
    They recycled the old fabric from uniforms, and integrated it into the new seating for the new cabins.
    Very Dutch!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

Call me a philistine, but I have never paid much attention to airline uniforms. What I always make a mental note of are professionalism and courtesy of staff or lack thereof.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

I also love the KLM uniform

Nice bright blue, easy to identify

I think the KLM Crews are very pleased to wear that good-looking uniform

capetonianm
    Participant

I have to admit that I’m very biased in favour of KLM and the Dutch and I agree completely with Marcus’ comments

BugAdvisor
    Participant

To celebrate their 95th birthday, Czech Airlines produced a video that shows changes in cabin crew uniforms over the last 95 years. The Czech Republic doesn’t suffer from unnecessary political correctness and so you’ll find only female cabin crew featured.

Models used in the video are real Czech Airlines cabin crew members.

6 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I had always assumed that the KLM blue was a direct link to the blue in Delt pottery.

Anybody else had this thought?

2 users thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

Singapore Airlines Uniform

MarcusGB
    Participant

Relating to the Branding of KLM, and the Uniforms of the crews, the aircraft colour is debated as coming from several sources.
    Delft pottery, the Blue Skies, Association with Royal Blue (but for the Orange House of Dutch Royalty), the Psychological calm and gentle soft feel that this shade of colour. Possibly water.I do recall the White Swan adverts, which added a great elegance to KLM.

Back in 2011, KLM ran a competition to “Design your tile”, on which you face impression was given, and a few words beneath about what Travel and KLM meant to you.
    There was a very easy load up yr photo, and the System then placed that etched onto a tile with your words underneath, with about 12,000 entries from around The World, 2,500 were chosen by panels. They included different languages from many people Worldwide!
    It was an amazing project, and i was lucky in having my tile design chosen, and placed to the 772.
    Here is what it looked like…

https://blog.klm.com/assets/uploads/2011/04/Tile-Inspire-4.jpg

They also still have flying the “Orange” front 773, that brought back Dutch Olympics winners. I saw this landing in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. Orange is considerably celebrated as “The Royal House of Orange”, as on Kings Day (formerly Queens day), and for World sports and National days.

#Orangepride: KLM’s unique orange aircraft to promote the Netherlands

But Blue remains the Iconic Brand of KLM, 100 years This year, and Truly the worlds oldest Airlines. Qantas is 2nd.
    (Why BA are claiming this when they were different Companies it is just simply untrue!)

cwoodward
    Participant

images

I hope that the food was rather better than the uniforms!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Uniforms do give an image of both authority, smartness and service – however, as I mentioned on another thread, I do not like uniforms designed to make the wearer “eye candy” for the passenger (mostly in Asia) or the uniform worn to make the wearer look like a mess (mostly in America).

Interestingly, in PJ travel, a few /owners request crew not to wear “scrambled eggs” as it compromises the VIP’s authority…

AircraftLover
    Participant

Stewardess-vintage

AircraftLover
    Participant

SAS Airlines Vintage

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls