Airline meal standards to be Certified by SKYTRAX in 2012

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/diningcertification.htm

Just saw the news about this. Looks like they will rank airlines up to five stars for onboard food and beverage services.

They will assess:
    -All cabins
    -Only at point of service
    -Freshness, flavour and quality of all food
    -Wine and beverage quality (including hot drinks)
    -Ingredients used
    -Staff service quality

Regardless of the whole ‘is skytrax independent’ debate, I believe the extra assessment and competition will make those carriers that value the opinion of Skytrax up their game, especially when you consider that (in other news) Skytrax will allow them to link directly to the website with their reviews on. I can’t wait to see who wins this!

Who do you guys think will win the 5 star F&B contest?

PatJordan
    Participant

This is a good idea in theory, but Skytrax is so untrustworthy that whatever results emerge will be equally so.

Mind you, Hengli makes a very valid point, and I too wonder who will win!!

Pat

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

ummm …. whichever airline pays Skytrax the most money ??

AMcWhirter
    Participant

How accurate can this be ? Will it be for both long and short-haul flights ?

One concern is that catering quality can depend on where the food is sourced. The catering quality for a flight departing LHR for PEK could well differ for one which departs PEK for LHR.

StephenLondon
    Participant

It can also be very personal and political…whereas one person may appreciate foie gras in First Class, others object to the ethical aspects of some foie gras production…so how does that get rated?
    Like other posters above, I’d guess this has more to do with revenue raising for the host rather than genuine assessment.

LeTigre
    Participant

I was trying to avoid this but…

-I have flown with several of the airlines in the Skytrax top 10 and I have found that generally speaking they are head and shoulders above the rest of the industry
    -How is it that airlines that are not awash with cash such as Asiana, Qantas, Hainan, etc, have high ratings?
    -Also, the airlines that have the highest ratings overall are from those middle-eastern and Asian cultures that are well known for hospitality, like in Arabic countries, and the European and American cultures which provide a less sincere approach are indicated with lower ratings
    -I know Skytrax rejects many reviews, which is questionable, but they are justified to reject many that are unverified, and also as a relatively small firm, they do not have the staff to search through millions of reviews every day, so they just (rightly or wrongly) select a few that fit with their comments to date
    -Regardless of your thoughts on the organisation, one cannot deny the value of Skytrax in promoting competition, increasing quality of service and informing consumers

RichHI1
    Participant

I suspoect the usual blend of BA and the airlines UK expats use to fly to Middle East and Asia. My experience varies from Hengli and I really do not think this move will add any value as Skytrax outcomes do not provide me with any reliable benefit.

NTarrant
    Participant

Unlikely to be a source of independence. Everything about Skytrax is questionable.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Skytrax is in my view a total fraud and I’m surprised it hasn’t been found out before now.

Thankfully, threads such as the earlier one set out these concerns for all to see:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Is-Skytrax-selective-in-its-reviews?page=1

The issue of independence and balance is central to a credible review website, and without any evidence that this is the case, Skytrax deserves to be treated with the contempt its misleading and selective reviews deserve.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I have used enough airlines in the world to have my personal unbiased certifications on the quality of their food and beverage on board..

It must be solidly credible as one is paying for the services, not paid to publish it!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sites like stytrax serve a purpose as even the most well travelled will from time to time encounter new airlines (either in regions they haven’t travelled in previously or new start ups) and review sites can inform choices.

While tripadvisor isn’t without its flaws, it does at least attempt to print all the reviews it receives. And investigates abuse.

Skytrax openly censors reviews, and Skytrax lacks credibility. I wouldn’t trust the website one jot to give an accurate representation of the service received.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Is-Skytrax-selective-in-its-reviews?page=1

RichHI1
    Participant

Absolutely right.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls