Airline Alliances-today

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

While I was planning my trips for this year–I suddenly realize that both Oneworld and Skyteam has 11 members each( not included some regional partners) comparing to Star Alliance with 26 members.

So why did I add this topic–actually the fact of new members in the alliance and therefore more choices and more benefits for their frequent travellers. And the other fact the ability to grow and gain more pax shares and therefore gain more impact and influence in the industry. So what did I find out ?

First, that Star Alliance has the most members than the two rivals and double their members combined. Second, the entrance of new members. Star Alliance- just had the entrance of Continental Airlines
    (great gain, indeed, lots of new destinations and new coming lie flat Bus. First seats), TAM soon to follow this year( finally SouthAmerica is on the “Star Map” again, with new refubrished First and Bus. Class), Air India( not without any controversials but without any doubt–a positive step to enter the Subcontinent’s market) . Skyteam-on the news primarily ’cause of the battle over JAL. Although nothing has been confirmed yet–but the tendency goes to choosing Delta and therefore a possible switch to Skyteam. This is definitely a huge chance and gain for Skyteam. Soon in 2010 Vietnam Airline will be a new member and as well in 2011 – Garuda Indonesia preparing itself for membership. So Skyteam is gaining huge steps in Southeast Asia, while East Asia is already in good hands with Korean Air and China Southern Airlines and soon JAL ? Oneworld–a new member is Mexicana. Although well represented on the map, but with a possible lost of JAL–it is a step backward.

While Star Alliance and Skyteam are both showing aspirations of striving in new fields and members– getting more pax and influences.
    Oneworld–fairly no big revelations and probably a lost of an influential member.

So let us wait what kinds of surprises the alliances have for us this
    year !

gordo66
    Participant

You forgon about Sn which just entered * and A3 which will enter * in may.

Hess963
    Participant

Right Gordo !

SN is already and A3 will soon enter * Alliance ! I am just curious as if Oneworld ” is not hot..” to attract new members or not its priority at the moment to expand.

TravelFan
    Participant

Thank you Hess for bringing up this very interesting topic. Indeed, my impression is that the Star Alliance is increasing its lead in relation to Oneworld and Skyteam. One area where this is particularly apparent is long-haul first class. After being joined by TAM and Air India, Star comprises nearly half of all the airlines offering a real first class product today. Against Star’s dozen, Oneworld currently has five (JAL, BA, Qantas, Cathay and American) and Skyteam only two (Air France and Korean). If JAL defects to Skyteam, the relationship will be 4-3 instead, significantly weakening Oneworld. This means that for a RTW ticket in first class, Star Alliance has an immeasurably more impressive offer than the other two alliances, with not only a large number of airlines offering first class but also including several of the best F products on the market (SIA, ANA, Swiss).

rupert_s
    Participant

Then is the answer that Skyteam & OneWorld merge to create a credible opposition to *A?

The key challenge being Delta and American both having hubs in NYC?

Hess963
    Participant

Yes, Travelfan–on the F class product point of view–* Alliance is the best choice. Actually in Y class as well. You just have more choices and easily earn miles from the 26 carriers.

Rupert_S: it is a good idea–if both Oneworld and Skyteam could work together–it is a credible opponent to * Alliance. About the hubs–it would definitely means cooperation and cost cuttings–positive aspects of synergy.

MarkCymru
    Participant

but you’ve forgotten OneWorld’s new member: S7 (formerly Siberia Airlines). Maybe American can start sending its cabin crew to Novosibirsk for some training in customer service? (Actually, the jokes are unfair: Aeroflot and its competitors are pretty good these days but American …..)

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Mark Cymru–you are right–during 2010.. S7 will be member of Oneworld. I think BA is going to help with some of the procedures and sponsorship.

And yes, SU’s sevice standard has been far more better than the former Soviet type of service. I already commented this last year–SU’s international C class product is a competitive one. Now with full flat seat and great onboard catering. It is a sad joke–but it has some truth in it–AA FAs could learn something from SU FAs who were really impeccable during my flights with them ! They have learned to improve themselves to our western standards and are now one of the aspiring airlines from former Soviet Union. So what does this mean to us–everything is possible as long as you want to improve and hear what your paying pax want and not the other way around !

wanula1
    Participant

Agreed that both Star and Sky team are increasing membership but that does have its downside. The key areas being how top teir Frequent flyers are treated. For example as a Gold BM holder I should be able to use equivalent Star lounges and check in desks.

However Singapore Airlines don’t treat you as an equivalent, you have to use a Gold desk at changi or business class desks elsewhere and for lounges its a gold lounge (not as nice) or partner lounges as at Jakarta (which is not a good lounge compared to Singapores own lounge). Also my partner is Silver BM and yet cannot get lounge access etc when traveling without me

However as Platinum Qantas FF I can use First Class Lounge and First Class checkin on any One world carrier and my partner as a Qantas Gold can at least access business lounges etc.

I think Star has got so big that top teir members can’t get some of the same privileges as they use to or are offered by Oneworld and Sky team. Also lower level members get very little privileges.

The final thing to note is that due to the number of carriers and therefore top teir card holders its very rare to get an upgrade (in fact only once with Star) and yet its a frequent occurance with Oneworld

I’d rather go for quality than quantity

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quality will out.

My British Airways Gold Card allows me access to the First lounge regardless of class of travel.

I can even access the BA Galleries and Terraces lounges anytime I fly, even when not travelling on British Airways.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls