Aircraft cleanliness

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• AircraftLover
    Participant

An aircraft is a limited space used by hundreds of people every day

Inside a medium-haul aircraft, there are two toilets for an average of 170 economy class passengers

Airlines tend to program short stopovers, and sometimes they reduce their aircraft cleaning time

Nowadays, how do you feel about airplane standards of cleanliness?

cwoodward
    Participant

In my experience most aircraft are clean and some sparklingly clean. Some older aircraft are clean but are so marked and scuffed that at first glance the may look grubby.
    My last very’dirty’ cabin was on China Eastern out of Dalian 4 or 5 years ago.
    Overall I don’t find any significant problem with aircraft cleanliness and fortunately have never experienced a mid-haul aircraft with only 2 toilets for 170 passengers.
    Is there one ?

SimonS1
    Participant

There are no excuses for this really. Most aircraft spend time parked up – overnight or at outstations. This is time that can be used for a full clean.

What surprises me is that airlines are not organised. I recently read a complaint on another board about a flight from JNB to LHR where the aircraft was still grubby despite having been parked for 12 hours in Johannesburg where labour is freely available.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

What about long-haul where I’ve noticed there are fewer toilets in relation to the number of economy class seats.

How long is medium-haul ? Do you mean four hours or eight hours ? Here in Europe an eight hour flight would be considered long-haul.

On a long-haul flight every passengers will have to use the toilet at least once, maybe two or more times.

Air Canada operates two versions of its B777-300ERs and these aircraft are deployed on long-haul routes not just to Europe but across the Pacific to Asia and Australia.

On the premium heavy version there are seven toilets for 336 economy seats.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Boeing_777-300ER_Three_Class_v3.php

On the denser version there are six toilets for 398 passengers.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Boeing_777-300ER_Three_Class_v4.php

Between Toronto and Hong Kong the flight length (including a stop in Beijing where presumably transit passengers can disembark) is 18 hours and 30 mins.

Non-stop flight time for Toronto-Beijing is 13 hrs 25 mins.

Awards for the cleanest aircraft cabins are invariably won by the Asian carriers.

cwoodward
    Participant

Alex, I would say that out of HK 6 to 8/9 hours is considered medium haul i.e. down to Australia across to India.
    This perhaps because there are so many 11 to 17 hour flights.
    The Air Canada flight that you mention is often mentioned here as one of the first worlds worst and one of the reasons why CX does so well on routes HK to Canada.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I try to avoid using the bathroom on short haul flights. Of course on longer flights it’s often necessary but I only use it to pass water, never sit. Good job I have a strong constitution 😉

AMcWhirter
    Participant

cwoodward – So true. Certainly SIA did confirm some years ago that its SIN-SYD flights (even though the distance is greater than LHR-JFK) were considered ‘regional.’

I remember Forum poster MarcusGB commenting on this.

Aircraft type can vary on this route. Things have changed now but only a year ago SIA was scheduling a mix of new A380s and old B777-300s (not B777-300ERs).

Another reason is that many transit passengers (from Europe, Mid East, India, China and other Asian countries etc) are using these sectors which means that yield will be on the low side.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have rarely had cause to be displeased by the condition of a toilet on an aircraft, that said I strenuously try to avoid using them and then if I do it’s for the absolute minimum functions.

This may also be thanks to the airlines I choose rather than the general state of cleanliness of aircraft globally.

If passengers were more considerate in cleaning up after themselves it would also help, as one might at home or at a friend’s house. I don’t think one can expect a crew member to verify the state of the toilet each time a passenger comes out. If I go into a toilet and it’s disgusting, I always feel that whoever uses it after me might think I left it in that state. It’s really quite awkward, so if it’s bad I would duck and find another, or tell a crew member.

Sanran
    Participant

I guess destination and/or departing airports are often a good starting point: unfortunately two countries in particular have too many people whose habits create filthy conditions.
    But that’s not the only reason.

alainboy56
    Participant

@luganopirate – Could not have put it more succinctly and fully concur word for word

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=947439]f passengers were more considerate in cleaning up after themselves it would also help, as one might at home or at a friend’s house.[/quote]

I always wipe dry the sink etc , god forbid the person next in the queue would thinks I as tink !!

For me, it’s the state of the floors that disgust me , if you can’t aim then SIT

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thegoodolddays
    Participant

I believe all the BA aircraft that sit on the Ground in South Africa for 10/11 Hours get a deep clean whilst waiting for there return, I guess that makes sense as most planes have minimum turn around at LHR.

capetonianm
    Participant

I believe all the BA aircraft that sit on the Ground in South Africa for 10/11 Hours get a deep clean whilst waiting for there return,

You wouldn’t think so from the state of some of the flights ex CPT.

JJ
    Participant

I know i’ve been on a flight recently where there was a sign in the loos requesting that customers wipe down the sink after use. Surprisingly might have a been a BA plane – (must be a cost saving measure!!)

I agree with previous comments that I try to avoid a number 2 on a plane, due to turbulance, space and cleanliness. Sometimes I just have to though like on the short flight from Sharm to Cairo. Dash 7 took on a whole new meaning!

StephenLondon
    Participant

“Between Toronto and Hong Kong the flight length (including a stop in Beijing where presumably transit passengers can disembark) is 18 hours and 30 mins.”

I couldn’t find this flight online, but why would anyone want to divert via PEK on a YYZ-HKG routing when there are three daily non-stops? At 15 1/2 hrs, those non-stops are long enough!

“I believe all the BA aircraft that sit on the Ground in South Africa for 10/11 Hours get a deep clean whilst waiting for there return, I guess that makes sense as most planes have minimum turn around at LHR.”

I was informed that this was not the case, as the same planes are generally roatated through CPT/JNB and thus would benefit from too much ‘deep cleaning’. Alex Cruz promised each aircraft in the BA fleet would benefit from a deep clean. On some recent trips, it seems that if they had been cleaned once, it was quite some time ago. The lavatories were really not pleasant, and there were crumbs all along the sides of my (premium) seats…not just a few, lots, plus rings from spilled drinks on a tray table and something rather gooey on the upper deck side cabinet. On the contrary, I’ve also flown with CX, QR and NH recently and their planes were immaculate, even on short-haul.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls