Airbus looking at longer A380

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

News here from Paris Air Show where I heard today that Airbus was looking at a longer A380.

Airbus has strongly hinted that it is considering a moderate stretch of the A380. It had originally intended to stretch the A380-800 to a proposed -900 but with the A380 experiencing slack sales, and with other aircraft programmes taking priority, the -900 has long been relegate only to a possible future initiative.

However, Airbus chief operating officer for customers John Leahy indicated that a revised stretch proposal was being floated to customers. He says that the airframer is “discussing a little stretch” with some operators. The possible dimensions of such an aircraft have not been disclosed.
    The A380-900 would have raised the capacity of the baseline A380 by some 100 seats, to around 650, the revised stretch would be “about half that”.

He says that the timeframe for such a development would be around 2020, and that Airbus – if the programme became firmer – would “probably” still designate the proposed aircraft as the -900.

While Emirates has strongly backed a re-engining effort for the A380, Leahy discloses that the airframer is “talking to at least half-a-dozen” possible customers for such an initiative – although he adds that, should the airframer eventually proceed to a formal programme, the number involved in a launch phase would probably be fewer.

Airbus has previously leaned away from committing to any re-engining of the A380 for just a single customer – even one the size of Emirates – because it has yet to be convinced of a solid business case.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I can understand some airlines’ caution.

The existing A380, when configured two-class and which EK will operate to Copenhagen/Gatwick in December/January, can already accommodate 615 passengers.

And that’s with economy class configured at 10- rather than 11-across.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d love to see some mock up sketches of a -900. I think that would make her the Queen of the Sky dethroning the 747.

MartinJ
    Participant

Perhaps Airbus are considering increasing the 380’s size sideways by three inches so they can cram in 12-across in Economy? Am I being cynic for thinking that? 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What will it take for an American airline to buy into the 380… will the extra length make any difference. Surely Airbus need sales in the USA.

Speedybird
    Participant

Yes MarinJ, you are being cynical .. And childish at that, since the 11abreast seating proposed would still offer 18in seat comfort for passengers.

B787 or B77W definitely can’t claim that.

Speedybird
    Participant

LuganoPirate – I LOVE flying on the A380… AND the A380-800’s wing was designed for a stretch, so it looks too big for it. So I get your thinking that a stretch might better proportion the aircraft.

However I still think the B747 will always be a much more beautiful aircraft to look at… While boarding that A380 for a more comfortable flight!!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

do the stretch, tidy up the aerodynamics a bit, add brand new Rollers? the yanks still won’t buy

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Speedybird, I absolutely agree with you. It is an ugly brute, but a stretch might bring its proportions back into – well, into proportion.

It’s still going to look hideous from the front, mind you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls