Airbnb used for the first time

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

Last week Mrs P and I stayed at a property we had booked using Air B&B. It was our first time using the system although our children use it regularly.

Our experience was very positive, the description and photographs were accurate, more so than many hotels I have stayed at and the process very straight forward. The transaction takes place via the Air B&B website so no money changes hands with the property owner. All review are only from real guests who have stayed at the property so no spurious ‘rent a review’ type activity. At the end of the rental we were asked to provide a comprehensive overview some of which the owner sees and other information which they do not, interestingly the owner also rates us – were we good guests, did we leave the place a mess etc so future renters have an idea of the people we are, I liked that.

For short term business trips I’m not sure it’s a viable option but for a longer stay (perhaps a week) it gives a real viable alternative to a hotel as it offers the freedom to live as one would at home. My wife who sometimes accompanies me on longer business trips very much liked this way.

Window-seat
    Participant

I love Air BnB, I regularly do 2 to 6 weeks away and it has never let me down.

I’m glad others are using it for business too.

It is so much nicer than soulless corporate rentals.

Coldbat
    Participant

Great to hear another good experience! I use A BNB whenever in London and save well over half any hotel room !

Moadweeb
    Participant

ColdBat

Any clues on a Good Air B&B property in London-Marble Arch area ?

What does one do for Breakfast when using Air B&B ? Is there an option to include breakfast too?

Ghosty74
    Participant

It’s good but can be frustrating when owners don’t respond to a booking request, or the place is unavailable even though showing as available.

It can be a great way to stay in the old, historic parts of some cities when the hotels are all a bit further out in the newer part or around the station.

Window-seat
    Participant

Sadly no breakfast included – but that give you a nice chance to find a food markets etc.

norbert2008
    Participant

I do Airbnb in Norfolk and provide in the cost a full English breakfast or whatever the guest require (in reason) also a welcome pack, water, crisps, biscuits, oh and a small decanter of sherry!

superchris
    Participant

just fyi, the company is called Airbnb, standing for ‘airbed and breakfast’, rather than ‘air bed and breakfast’.

There does seem to be a wild difference of opinion amongst corporate travel departments on the subject, with a number citing ‘safety and security’ as a reason not to use, whilst unbeknown to them.many travellers, particularly longer stay folks, just using them anyway.

Charles-P
    Participant

We rented an apartment and I spoke with the owner when we arrived. Her rentals were split almost 50-50 between holiday and business rentals, she had a number of regular business users who typically rent for around a week when in the area.

Her experience as a renter had also been almost overwhelmingly positive with only one person in two years who had been a problem (some damage to a table).

PrakashMehta
    Participant

Charles, thanks for posting your experience about Airbnb.

I haven’t booked on Aribnb yet, but am in the process of doing so for the first time for a week in London next May, and it gives me a little more confidence to do so now. I have been looking only for either superhost or for a rating of 4.5+ with no cancellations, just to be sure.

My only question is that there seems to be no housekeeping, so does the cleaning and making beds and other such stuff have to be done by the guests? How does this work as an experience for those used to hotels / serviced apartments?

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

I am yet to try it but airbnb is certainly an interesting prospect.

Are the owners usually resident at the same time as their guests?

If not, how does a guest go about gaining access to the property?

Are there local contact details in case of any problems that may arise?

miningguy
    Participant

My wife and I rent out our small holiday Italian house on AirBnB – Abruzzo. We find it a lot of fun to do so….even if quite frankly it only pays the bills for the house and nothing more! AirBnB is safe for both parties as you are covered by AirBnB’s coverage for damage, no-shows etc. More importantly we have found their customer support; both for us as hosts and recently as guests at another place is absolutely excellent.

From a guest standpoint, they get a much more unique and local experience rather than staying in a drab hotel. Additionally as it is self-catering, they are ‘forced’ to get out and explore a bit more! I would however stress that AirBnB is not for those who like all of the benefits that chain hotels can bring – i.e. consistency, ease of check in.

The only problem we have had, and this is more of a host’s problem, is guests are becoming increasingly demanding…especially as hosts get more and more adventurous with their offerings. As an example, recently we had a guest stay with us for a week who was astonished at some missing facilities i.e. lack of phone reception as this is deep rural Italy and a brief power cut…neither of which are within our control. In the end, after she complained to us, we gave a 50% refund rather then having the negative review on AirBnB. This is going to become an increasing problem for AirBnB i.e. guests arriving in a rural/remote place that costs €50 a night and expecting the same amenities as the Sheraton in Rome.

To answer questions: Guests can either pick up the keys or meet the host. Normally a host will leave a local contact if they are not around. (For our house as we reside in London, we leave the keys with our house keeper). For Business travel, both my wife and I use AirBnB extensively – the only time it can fall over is if your flight is delayed and you end up arriving in the middle of the night…this is where a hotel is much better. As a rule therefore I use AirBnB for long term stays when I am away (i.e. 1-2 weeks) and a hotel for quick fly-in trips where it would be too much hassle.

I might as well take this opportunity to give us a plug 🙂 https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1144744

MrDarwin
    Participant

I’ve used Airbnb twice without any hassle at all. Once I had a whole apartment to myself, the owner staying at his partner’s place around the corner when rented. This was in a beautiful modern apartment with balcony in Vancouver overlooking the bay which was half the price of the conference hotel 5 minutes walk away.

Another time I stayed in a ‘hosted’ accommodation where the owner was present. I think this is where the experience has the potential to differ greatly – we had a fantastic host, unobtrusive but always there if needed. We shared a beautiful breakfast and interesting chat in the morning, and this is where it really was more of a B&B than just a room in someone’s house (which it can also be). This sort of thing really is’t my usual thing, I’d normally run a mile from such situations. However I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was.

Coldbat
    Participant

Moadweeb– Sorry I don’t not have any good recommends for you as I usually stay in the Hammersmith/Chiswick area.

Carajillo2Sugar– It totally depends on the property you choose to stay in. Sometimes they could be the owners 2nd home that they strictly rent out to ABnB users. Other times like most of my stays, it is a private room in someones flat or house. It is up to you if you choose to interact with the host, and they respect your time and privacy to the utmost.

You will certainly be presented with a key to enter the building as well as one to your own room upon arrival along with a welcome pack like other posters have mentioned above. As for the contact details, most good hosts will have their cell or email verified for contact throughout the process.

The biggest issue Air BnB will still has to overcome is the service aspect. Something I have read already from posters here… If your expecting the typical hotel experience with full service, food, ect this is not for you. If your looking to save serious money while still being feet away from the city you traveled to then I would recommend it.

*Please note, I do not work for, or have any reason to recommend A Bnb for any other reason than I have had wonderful experiences using them as a service and hope others can too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls