AIRBNB (new user)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am considering trying out AIRBNB in Europe in wondered whether Forum members have had good/bad/indifferent experiences.

I am not looking for any shared accommodation, either the sole use of a flat or a house in a city centrelocation. I have a couple of destinations coming up where the hotels in the city centre are silly money and someone told me AIRBNB can prove to be a competitive alternative.

How does it work regarding check in / check out and what facilities are provided. Can you find somewhere near restaurants and is wifi provided.

Any help would be appreciated…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My first wife and daughter booked an AirBnB in Barcelona Martyn. They were 1 minute away from public transport and a 6 minute walk to the centre. They said it was fabulous, spotlessly clean, with fast wifi and a great breakfast.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I’ve used AirBnB on three occasions now, in Panama City, Edinburgh and most recently, Geneva. My experiences to date have all been positive. All three hosts have communicated with me very well, asking when I am due to arrive, letting me know where I should meet them and providing me with directions to get to the property. Two of the three also gave me their personal contact number so we could message each other via Whatsapp before and during my stay if there were any issues.

All three properties were well located for public transport and had information packs about the local area – supermarkets, restaurants etc. that they would recommend.

I’ve booked further stays for the future and particularly where hotel prices are extortionate (e.g. Geneva!) I’d highly recommend AirBnB.

Hope you have a similar experience.
    Thanks

Cloud-9
    Participant

I have used it twice: Berlin and Amsterdam.

The Berlin apartment was super central (actually a shopping mall!)and extremely modern. As airbnb is illegal in Berlin we were told to say we were friends of our hosts, who had a adjacent apartment.

Amsterdam was futher out -which I was aware of – but still only 5 minutes walk to a bus to Centraal. Not as modern but extremely acceptable. The hosts lived above the flat.

cotswoldsw
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I’m currently half way my first airbnb stay and thus far I’m impressed. My trip is ten weeks long so I messaged various hosts first to negotiate on price. Once I decided which property to go for it was straight forward in communicating with the owner and making a couple of date changes.

It’s very easy to search by location and/or a number of other factors and each property comes with reviews from previous guests. I might be wrong about this but I think it’s much easier with a Facebook account.

My experience hasn’t put me off booking a villa for my summer holidays. With a bit of effort I am sure you would find suitable accommodation. Finally, I would only ever pay via the airbnb platform.

Good luck.

esselle
    Participant

My wife and youngest daughter have just come back from a three week trip to Melbourne to see our eldest daughter, and found a great apartment through AIRBNB in the same block as her. It ran at about half the price of a good quality hotel, and based on their experience is something they would readily look at using again for other travel plans.

They also enjoyed excellent flights in Etihad J, especially on the A380 on the AUH-MEL-AUH sectors.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Martyn
    I’m going to be boring and agree with the other comments made.

I use it for my stays in HK and have also used it for stays in Poland as well.
    For me the great thing about staying in an AirBNB property is a feeling of localness
    The freedom to be a local rather than a tourist appeals to me. And staying in a hotel takes that freedom away from me. . .

Especially in HK, where I now consider it as my home away from home,

In every case the host has been exemplary in ensuring all was well, and managed the fine balancing act of contacting us enough, yet not enough to become intrusive.

miningguy
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

My wife and I own an AirBnB property (Italy) and regularly use AirBnB as well. In the past month, I have used AirBnB in Cape Town and in Tobago. Both experiences have been great. Here are some tips:

1. Really really pay attention to the reviews. If this is an extended stay, go to the extent of checking out the profilers of some reviewers…..everyone’s taste/requirements are different so a quick check that there person who’s review you have given is perhaps of similar inclination! (i.e. if its a 18 y/o backpacker, and you aren’t (or vice versa!) then there is a good chance that you priorities might be different)

2. Check out the area on Google Street View. This gives a good idea without the possibility of framed photographs. (i.e. is this property really at the top of Table Mountain or has the person just randomly uploaded a local pic!)

3. For business ensure that there is WiFi. Make a big deal of it. Some countries (i.e. South Africa!) still often see WiFi as an eccentric luxury. It isn’t.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount. If there is a great but slightly expensive place, ask for a deal! (people on AirBnB are by nature normally quite entrepreneurial)

On a less measurable note, staying AirBnB properties can provide a much more local and enjoyable aspect to your trip. Our guests always rave about our local Italian neighbours who always chat to them when they walk by – they get many tips and insights about the region that you just can’t get staying in a hotel.

Hope that helps.

TominScotland
    Participant

Likewise, I agree with everything said above. My only ‘bad’ AirBnB experience was an apartment in Dubai where the owners were, themselves, away on holiday. It was a nice place, good location, reasonably clean, good wifi, arrangements for keys etc. that worked. For me (and that might just be me), it was all too personal – sanitary towels and half used toothpaste in the bathroom, owners’ clothes in every wardrobe – nowhere to hang mine etc. For the price I paid (cheaper than an hotel, admittedly) that was all too much for me.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I am going to throw a dead cat into this debate.

I live in a block of 5 flats in Bath and recently we discovered that one of the flats had been let out via AirB&B. In this case, it was actually a sublet by an existing tenant and the rest of us only found out when some tourist wandering up and down our street asked a neighbour where it was.

Of course this was in breach of the tenancy agreement with this tenant but also the covenant for the freeholders which the use of the flats for commercial premises. Breaching this invalidates our fire insurance.

Obviously the tenants were warned and we haven’t seen this again but it is something to be aware of when you book. You might find yourself kicked out if the person letting the property is breaching the covenant of the property.

Krsnp
    Participant

Hi MartynSinclair,

Agree with miningguy. It is very important not to take anything for granted as AirBNB does not impose specific standard on what facilities to offer, etc. I tend to take all the listings with a pinch of salt, and would go ahead only if I am really convinced. Read a lot of reviews and don’t hesitate to ask the hosts even the silliest questions. I have only used this service in Japan, but if you’re interested, check my blog post here: http://middleclasstraveller.weebly.com/blog/my-first-airbnb-experience.

Also agree with Bath_VIP and would recommend going through the reviews in case anyone ever felt unwelcome in the neighbourhood. At the end of the day, not everyone feels comfortable seeing unfamiliar faces getting in and out of their building every day.

All the best!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Having checked several cities over a year on Airbnb, and seen much on media in several countries around the World, I am not tempted.
    I know this varies with much of the comments here, but there are fundamental legal issues, those of insurance, and protection of your money.

Many travel insurances, banks, will not cover you for any failures booked here, especially if you transfer money directly to the owners account, and not through their payment service. They also have a disclaimer, and are stubborn with refunds or negotiations between the two parties, as highlighted on a recent TV Documentary in the UK. They enable the viewing but hold no responsibility for it, and their C.
    Relations is poor and unresponsive.

Insurances covering your safety, may not be present, also if you had an accident and damaged the property of furnishings, held by the owner,few would cover you. You could be legally liable also for more accidental substantial damage to the property, and how about to you?

An issue in Holland and Australia, has been “is the income declared legally to Tax authorities, is the property registered and insured to host many different people, short stays, numbers of occupancy, and does it comply with Health & Safety law”.
    All the behind the scenes basics of a hotel’s insurances and covers, are absent with Airbnb, which many of us take for granted. At least you can change, complain, put right services at the time, with a choice once you arrive, and ultimately, are also covered by your Credit Card for hotels and apartments.

I am sure once you know or can see a personal recommendation this feels better. But how many display insurance certificates, Healthy & Safety standards, and declare tax on these earnings, which if not, is a criminal offence and fraud.

About 5 years ago in Amsterdam, I was staying in a very prestigious large Amsterdam Building on the main canals, when it was raided by Police, Fire Service, and local City officials at 5.30am! The whole place, impeccable in its layout and standards for each studio, was only licensed for students, and not short term accommodation, and taxes were not paid by this well established Estate agent. Everyone was given several hours notice, and cameras and clips were being taken by Police, and City officials, and the fire service went in and immediately checked every fitting in each studio! It was shut down by Midday!
    It has been an occupation of some in Amsterdam to let out places they have no legal right to do so, and if you know, you can be prosecuted also, or having not checked, also be responsible. Regulations vary city to city, country to country.

I travel long haul to many Countries, and especially first visits am cautious, though i am on multiple if not tens of times these days to each place. I negotiate specific perks with each hotel Manager, and in the end these are offered or in place for you, a relationship being established.
    The hotel programs, also give you a set % back, as could booking through a cashback site, upgrades, Club access, early late check ins outs, points/ miles, complimentary services. In my experience as a Platinum Accor member, this can offer 30-40% of value, or reduce your costs, so no need to Airbnb, and all the safety, security, and complying locally, is taken care of.
    Often also immigration officers in Holland inform me, that they do not regard these bookings as secured accommodations, or a proof of residency for the time you are there, for all the above reasons. Same in Australia.

Booking direct, and making a good relationship for regular stays with hotels and apartments these days, is just as cost saving, but fundamentally compliant and secured.

miningguy
    Participant

MarcusGB, AirBnB has really tightened up in the past few years. Their (mandatory) insurance means that guests and hosts are covered for damage, injuries etc. Booking through their system also provides certain guarantees and refunds can be given. Tax etc is also much more heavily scrutinised. I am an AirBnB host, and like many of the hosts out there, I do very much pride myself on the house we rent out and the efforts we go to to satisfy our guests.

Whilst I imagine some places could be a bit down at heel (which may be great for a gap year student on a low budget), there really are some great premium apartments available. I stay in a great place in Lima that is on the edge of the sea and for extended stays, I prefer this to the anonymity of a hotel stay. It also allows me to cook(!)

On another note and unrelated to your post, AirBnB and similar services (i.e. Uber) are a fantastic new way for young, entrepreneurial people to earn a living. For countries with stagnant economies, they are becoming a life line.

MrDarwin
    Participant

I’ve stayed in a few and haven’t had any issues, I really enjoy the experience. Arrangements for check in and out vary between properties and it’s good to be open about what suits you to make sure your plans suit what they offer. A lot of places have key safes and they’ll send you the code – if it’s a house they might be there or arrange someone else to be there to show you the ropes (as an unfamiliar, whole house can be confronting to get your head around!).

I also recommend reading all the reviews too. Often hosts will also stay in Airbnb’s around the world too so you can check out what they write about others to get to know your hosts a little. I’ve only had really positive experiences and have embraced the concept. It can be significantly cheaper than hotels and for certain trips provide a nice home away from home feeling.

travelworld
    Participant

Yes, I’ll throw a spanner in the works too, at least from an England and Wales perspective. Most apartment leases will contain a restriction such that short term subletting- such as Airbnb- is not permitted. Usually, it’s expressed by saying the minimum letting period is six months on an assured shorthold tenancy or equivalent. In my block, our concierge will not give keys out to Airbnb guests and, as a result, they have gone away disappointed. It’s simply because we’ve had one too many stag parties booked in via this route (it’s a riverside development by Tower Bridge)- and we all bought apartments in a residential block, not hotel rooms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls