Air Transat Delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• tonywells1961
    Participant

Recently travelled on an Air Transat flight from MAN – YVR which was delayed by 5 hours.

I put in a claim for delay compensation and received the following nonsensical reply….

Dear Mr. xxx,
    Thank you for contacting Air Transat.
    We apologize for the displeasure caused as a result of the delay of flight TS285 this past September. While never welcome, despite our constant efforts to prevent their occurrence, drawbacks can and do occur. The decision to delay any aircraft is never taken lightly. Our priority always remains the safety of our passengers and crew.
    While we understand your frustration, regrettably, no compensation is possible in this instance.
    In closing, we thank you for choosing Air Transat and hope that you will give us a future opportunity to serve you under better circumstances.
    Yours truly,

Any suggestions where I go next ?

Thanks

capetonianm
    Participant

I wouldn’t say it’s nonsensical, it’s a bog standard letter.

If you know that the reason for the delay is one that gives rise to entitlement to EU261 compensation, then I would write back with a letter before action, in which you set out your reason(s) for believing you are entitled to compensation, and quantify your demand.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=971888]Any suggestions where I go next ?[/quote]

But why was the flight delayed ?

Here are the EU261 rules. Note the section “extraordinary circumstances.”

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/Am-I-entitled-to-compensation-/

SimonS1
    Participant

Air Transat are not members of an arbitration scheme.

Assuming your delay was not due to exceptional circumstances (eg weather, ATC) you need to complain to CAA or more likely just file a MCOL case against them at UK address. This is an easy process, when you get judgement then they will pay up or you will ask the court to enforce the judgement with bailiffs.

Swissdiver
    Participant

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gubh shows a late arrival of the aircraft. Since the weather was apparently all right in the UK, there doesn’t seem to be any extraordinary circumstance! So, yes a second letter stating you will defend your rights of a compensation (it is EUR 600 after all) should be sent.

1 user thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Contact the PR department as always……

RoyJones
    Participant

I thought that EU261 applies to all EU airlines and all other airlines DEPARTING from an EU country but NOT for other airlines arriving in an EU country. Most certainly I was told that US airlines are not covered on flights to the EU. Am I wrong ?

RoyJones
    Participant

Apologies, I misread this

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls