Air NZ dropping HKG-LHR March 2912

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

Well, I think we know that VS are going to go one of two ways – so there may or may not be representation on LHR-HKG depending on which way the cookie crumbles!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And another one bites the dust… That is three airlines abandoning the route in a year. Down from six.

Now admittedly Hong Kong Airlines was never much of a player – the last (also only the second) flight the memsahib took on this route had all of 16 passengers – but that is still a significant capacity reduction on the route. Add to this the additional capacity reduction from CX running 777s instead of 747s on two of its four-daily flights, and a further reduction by introducing premium economy on some of the 747s.

Altogether, no surprise that it is getting more and more expensive to get non-stop flights between HK and London. So to Cedric-Statherby’s point (made in the last post on the first page) “Many airlines fly the LHR-HKG route and Air NZ won’t be that much missed” – er, actually, not that many, and yes they will!!

HongKongLady
    Participant

I agree with Ian, they will be missed on the Hk London route. I am certain it will mean higher prices especially discounted business fares, which I use regularly. The route going forward will have less capacity as this comes on top of HK airlines demise ( this wasn’t helped by their unrealistic flight prices ) and Qantas pulling out of the route. This is in addition to the loss previously of the 3rd BA flight and the short lived 2nd Virgin offering. Direct flights are always they way to go unless the fare is really really appealing who wants to spend time transiting.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls