Air New Zealand to withdraw from London UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• esselle
    Participant

A pre-emptive response to the rugby?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=974236][/postquote]

Be persistent. AA are not members of an arbitration scheme so you may need to involve the CAA or do MCOL. Or alternatively Bott & Co will do it for a 35% cut.

But based on the facts of an EU to US journey, a technical issue and a 4 hour delay you will get your money.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

There is a real disconnect between leisure and business travellers… in my case when on business my planning always included leisure…I have always avoided overnight flights if not business and always broke up routings so as not become totally knackered. Ultra long flights are something I’m not remotely interested in though if some silly CEO wishes to make a stupid decision while jet lagged I’ll avoid his company.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

There is a real disconnect between leisure and business travellers… in my case when on business my planning always included leisure…I have always avoided overnight flights if not business and always broke up routings so as not become totally knackered. Ultra long flights are something I’m not remotely interested in though if some silly CEO wishes to make a stupid decision while jet lagged I’ll avoid his company.

CTK
    Participant

I can’t understand why people keep saying we are losing the “direct” service between London and Auckland, given that it is still a one stop service, plus the hideous transit process at LAX.

There are so many much better one stop transits service available, without the hassle of going through LAX and running to your connecting flight even through it was still the same plane.

Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Emirates, Qatar, and to some extent Korean, Thai and Malaysian all offer one stop service between Auckland and Europe. So as Air NZ pointed out themselves, only 7% of customers travelling between Auckland and London remained loyal to Air NZ and the hassle of transiting through LAX.

And this is exactly where the New York flight will come in handy, a one stop service to Australia via Auckland instead of going through an airport in the United States to travel on Qantas. Especially since Project Sunrise is still a few years off. While Air NZ can lease out their slots in LHR and earn a handsome amount of money that way.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=974419]I can’t understand why people keep saying we are losing the “direct” service between London and Auckland, given that it is still a one stop service, plus the hideous transit process at LAX.[/quote]

It’s not easy to explain CTK. But there is a market for through flight service … you need only look at the reader comments and especially the one from the London kiwis who are running a petition to get Air NZ to change its mind.

I agree there are numerous transfer options but connections are not guaranteed. Some travellers feel more comfortable with taking a though flight even though it too, on occasion, can suffer delays and so on.

Remember when Heathrow was snowbound a number of years ago ?

SimonS1
    Participant

I did also read that 7% of Air NZ travellers from NZ to London travelled in business class compared to 12% on Emirates.

That must make a difference in margins too.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls