Air New Zealand to withdraw from London UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Really sad to see them go – even The Queen flew with them to NZ on the last visit! Strange to have no direct UK service – the French would never let that happen, although New Caledonia has to go to Japan to make the connection.

carbonclogs
    Participant

I am one of those who had preferred the HKG route and reluctantly moved to the LAX route. I have since stopped using the LHR-LAX route and now use another Star Alliance carrier to take me to connect with ANZ. I thought the crews/service on the LHR-LAX route were noticeably weaker than other ANZ flights and while it may feel another end of an era for an airline I suspect it will help them survive in the short term.

AJDC
    Participant

While only 7% of passengers may fly New Zealand to London via Los Angeles, is he saying that there is no O&D traffic between Los Angeles and London? It is my understanding that ANZ has quite a following for its premium services and is the preferred carrier by a substantial segment in the LA area.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=973856][/postquote]

His comment was that whilst there is O&D business the competition from other carriers between LAX and London has grown exponentially. Norwegian, BA, United, American, Virgin are all flying the route along with ANZ.

Maybe despite being a preferred carrier the margins don’t stack up when compared with other potential routes?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AJDC – The CEO said “Less than seven per cent of all airline travellers between Auckland and London choose to fly via Los Angeles last year.”

The fifth-freedom route London-Los Angeles and return is separate to this.

Yes we are well aware of Air NZ on this route which has been in operation for almost 40 years. Originally Air NZ used to charge less than the established airlines but no longer seeing as it’s become a favoured carrier.

Look out for the November issue of Business Traveller UK where we have a comprehensive piece on fifth-freedom airlines and routes.

AJDC
    Participant

Competition has always existed on the LAX/LHR route: I don’t see an exponential growth in competition as I highly doubt ANZ is targeting the same class of pax as Norwegian. VS has been on the route for about 20 years now and has had two daily flights. AA is the only carrier I’m not acquainted with except to say I simply cannot understand why anyone would fly them in business(I make this assertion just having flown them in business to Madrid and from Rome. Never again! Could of course be corporate contracts… but outside of this…)

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=973887][/postquote]

There has been growth in both the number of flights and also the capacity. Compared to 10 years ago Norwegian has appeared, BA is flying A380s with much increased capacity etc. There will always be a percentage of travellers that are price sensitive. That is where Norwegian comes in.

Clearly competitive pressures have come to play, as this is what the acting CEO said:

the Atlantic has become one of the most hotly contested routes in the world and Air New Zealand lacks the home market advantages and scale of the North American and European airlines we’re up against

paulkaz
    Participant

The Lax stopover also requires an ESTA visa even to transit. Passing immigration and customs to get back on the same plane. A hassle and many minor convictions can bar international passengers. Many west pacific passengers prefer east Asia stopovers traditionally.
    ANZ will beat QF to non stop flights from AKL to EWR by at least 2 years. Aus passengers will have seamless transit to that flight avoiding LAX or other US city transit in the meantime. Should be very profitable for ANZ.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

@AJDC I’m curious what went wrong on your flight with AA. I am OW loyal so always try to fly AA to MIA, ORD, and DFW over BA anytime. The Business seats, particluarly on the 77W are excellent, almost as large as BA’s First, and the food usually is quite good. The downside can sometimes be the crew tend to be somewhat tired and with attitude where I believe BA crews tend to be much better, and on three recent flights AA had run out of Champagne in Business (I know, first world problems, but still, never had that happen on BA). But the AA seat I find excellent. For sure any airline can have a bad day, but would be curious what happened to have you swear off them.

AJDC
    Participant

@AflyingDutchman:
    What went right…
    I’m in the process of writing a trip report and comparing AA to Qatar as that was my routing. It’s just taking a long time to complete. Let’s just say:

Changing of seats without letting me know. When I paid for ticket (7 months before travel), I had reserved 2A. A month before departing flight, I noticed they had changed my seat from 2A to 1D. I called the reservations department and told the agent she needed to change my seat back to 2A or a comparable one. She told me she couldn’t, as no window seats were available and seats are not guaranteed. So I asked her, then why did she not tell the person who they switched my seat for, the very same thing and that they couldn’t have it? That by switching my seat, they are indeed guaranteeing that person a specific seat? We went back and forth for a bit until I told her I absolutely refuse to sit in 1D. She routed me over a different city which was fine with me.
    The seats were crap not at all comfortable
    Space was claustrophobic: probably had something to do with the fact that seat was rear facing… A whole other issue…
    The food was abysmal:
    The lounge at JFK was meh
    Amenity kits: they might as well not give them out. Look and feel cheap as all get out
    The lounge at Rome – They might as well not have bothered
    The FAs- One tried her best, the others were disheveled, have seen better days and acted as if they were doing us a favour
    Configuration of aircraft: Rear facing seats- I would like to meet the idiot who came up with that in a dark alley
    To cap it off there were no PJs: A good thing I had a pair from Virgin Atlantic

I would fly AA domestically on short hops. I would not fly them internationally in business again. They are sub-par and not value for my money. I would rate AA’s business product little better than economy.

If I ever finish the trip report, I may post it here because it was a bit of a saga… Oh yeah, return flight from Rome diverted to London because there was an issue with the hydraulics. Got back to JFK 4 hours later than should have done…

SimonS1
    Participant

Maybe the €600 compensation will have softened the blow of a 4hr delay.

AJDC
    Participant

@SimonS1: Compesation, what compensation? I have not received any compensation.

AJDC
    Participant

@SimonS1: Thank you. I have just sent off my question/complaint to AA about compensation.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=974190][/postquote]

A 4 hour delay on a flight from EU to USA entitles you to €600pp compensation.

The usual angle here is the airline will fob you off, however technical issues are not exceptional and you are entitled to the compensation under EC261.

AJDC
    Participant

@SimonS1:

Thank you so very much once again. I was so ticked off with AA, I didn’t even thin about this. I very much appreciate your information.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls