Air New Zealand fare hike, then price drop

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Routemaster
    Participant

Have I any other redress, aside from feeling ever so slightly ripped off?
    Return leg LAX-LHR was c.£1000, then £1200 so I booked, fearing further rises.

Yes, a day later, it went back down to c. £1000 ! RM

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sadly the answer is no. Most air tickets are priced and sold like any other consumer product.

ARJ100
    Participant

Routemaster
    Participant

Thanks for that, omanair, but it would only work on the day of purchase.
    ‘Caveat aviator’, I suppose.

I’ll try to consume the difference in value while on board ! RM

MrDarwin
    Participant

Sometimes you need to clear your cache/history when looking at the same flights again. Try looking at fares on the ITA Matrix which will tell you actual availability, not incremental availability based on your searches and visits to airline websites.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I echo MrDarwin’s advice – something I was alerted to by another poster on this forum some months ago and which has saved me a lot of money. It isn’t just airlines – hotels, car hire companies and consolidators track the patterns of searches you make, and if they see you repeating searches they start jacking up the prices to trick you into thinking that you need to book immediately before the price rises further. I had a case in point yesterday – I was looking at car hire in London and found a superb deal through travelsupermarket.com – less than ten pounds a day. A couple of searches later (I was comparing with other sites and had to refresh) it had gone up by 20 per cent. I tried again – same thing. I cleared my cache/history/cookies and ran the search one more time, and hey presto got the original cheaper price! It has become quite routine for the Memsahib and I now to either do comparison searches on different devices ad/or to clear the above before making a final booking.

mkcol74
    Participant

@ MrDarwin & IanFromHKG – I think if you have the option of using an “incognito” tab in your browser you will get the same net effect, which can save a bit of faffing when coming to clear cookies etc, just a bit faster.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@MrDarwin – 02/10/2015 17:22 BST
    @IanFromHKG – 12/10/2015 11:20 BST

Thanks for the tip. I will now clear my cache prior to any bookings in future.

Routemaster
    Participant

Likewise, thanks for the tips, everyone.
    (needless to say, appealing to the airline’s better nature was
    a waste of time !)
    RM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls