Air New Zealand B777-300ER Premium Economy

Back to Forum

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  RonnieMoore 24 Jan 2013
at 10:53

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

RonnieMoore
    Participant

I agree with other comments about convenient separate check-in, friendliness, helpfulness, separate cabin, entertainment system, delicious food and good wine.

Advance purchase fares are very well priced – however just a warning – my itinerary was from Melbourne to LAX and there seems no way to book MEL – AKL in Premium Economy, only the AKL – LAX is booked in PE. You CAN seat select, for an extra cost, and get PE on the first leg, but this only opens a week or so before the flight and fills quickly. Beware and keep trying to go through the select seat process, every day until you get one.

My issue is I then also paid extra for the bulkhead seat 23A (23K would be just as bad). I don’t have claustrophobia, but that seat has no more space to the bulkhead than economy. Worse, it has intrusion into the relatively small foot well, caused by the business class bed in front. This means when you stretch out to sleep there is only one way both feet will fit in there, just. I found it a terrible seat to try to sleep.

So much better was seat 23B because the bulkhead sweeps forward and away from the seat. Also you get a table in a separate pedestal near the aisle (there is no cocoon in front of you and the bulkhead sweeps too far away to have the table flop out to you). So fantastic leg room is the result.

On the return, I had 24A and these “normal” window cocoon seats have more space than 23A. You can put your feet between the wall panel and the cocoon in front of you, as well as a foot well which does not have an intrusion into it. One in each means you can wriggle all you like. The cocoon in front contours away at the wall panel which creates space in front of you and you can see forward. OK maybe I do have claustrophobia, when it comes to seat 23A for sure. Having learned this, I’ll never use 23A again, especially not pay extra for it!

The rest of the experience was great. Arm room is as good as old business class. The seat slide forward is extremely stiff but works if you can lift the lever up strongly (go on, try to break it) and slide with your body. But the crew also assisted several people. I got a second bean bag, so this made a difference too – take an inflatable cushion is a good idea as there is no leg rest / tilt so takes getting used to. I got sleep on the way back in 24A, not much in 23A!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls