Air New Zealand announce new cabins in all LH classes

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Its been 20 plus years in the making but Air NZ have finally ditched the horrible ‘doctors waiting room seats’ in Business class.
    They announced last week that they are also bringing back into service their long haul B777 fleet presumably with the new seating.
    The new cabins look interesting but the BC seat looks rather small in the web site images.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/air-new-zealand-reveals-biggest-cabin-overhaul-in-20-years-new-seats-and-skynest-is-coming/3RUR4CZGR2CLYOVWHMIUEKVALU/

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hannah has now posted the news Online.

By 2024 I would expect other major carriers to have further updated their J products.

Right now QR’s Q Suite is supposed to be one of (if not) the best J class.

Otherwise I believe the most interesting development is Skynest.

It’s been reported it will be offered at a surcharge on the economy and premium economy fares. There’s a time limit on how long NZ passengers will have use of these bunks. One aviation site reckons it will be a maximum of four hours.

Skynest cannot come soon enough.

In a few months NZ will be launching its longest flight to date.

Air New Zealand ‘returns’ to Europe

cwoodward
    Participant

How long before a return to London ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1219398]How long before a return to London ?[/quote]

Very good question !

NZ ought never to have abandoned direct flights to Europe.

Yes I realise they may never have operated at a profit but sometimes in aviation a route is needed for market identity or political/business reasons.

Having said that I have learnt over the decades that nothing in aviation is set in stone.

Airline managements change, airline policies change and so on.

If I were working with NZ I would be keen to see how many passengers transfer at JFK for Europe.

cwoodward
    Participant

I read that they are returning to Frankfurt……but cant find the article now.
    From all accounts mismanagement caused the London flights to run at a loss.
    New Zealand population risen by a million in the past 10 years with still a very significant inflow of Brits many of which would prefer to travel with ANZ and of course no longer a BA destination.
    There is however an odd and little known code/revinue share arrangement with Cathay who were pre covid putting 2 wide bodies a day into NZ with a 3 third direct Christchurch seasonal. CX flights restarted last week
    More money and less effort in the code share?. If that is the case then ANZ is now a small regional airline serving a prosperous expanding economy with a huge tourist in-flow.
    The Qantas group are making inroads.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Sleeping bunks/pods for economy passengers were discussed a few times and were in wishful thinking of many passengers.

If the Air New Zealand do it right, it could be a game changer.

On the other hand if the extra cost approaches premium economy class fare, then it may not be successful after the novelty wears out.

Mark
    Participant

Happy Days with ANZ to Australia

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1219523]I read that they are returning to Frankfurt……but cant find the article now.[/quote]

I haven’t heard of this myself.

Frankfurt is logical as it must be Star’s most important hub.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@Mark <Happy Days with ANZ to Australia> ..

I remember late 90s, pre 9/11, Air NZ 747 to LAX, with onward 747 to either SYD or Auckland. I often stopped in LAX for a couple of nights, staying at the then ‘Hermitage Hotel, whose policy was a 24 hour stay ie check in at say 21 hours, your room was yours for 24 hours.

On the 747 in First Class were 12 seats, and I remember restaurant quality meals, with 100% coverage for every dish for every passenger. 9/11 put an end to that !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls