Air India use all Women crew on International Women Day

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Inquisitive
    Participant

Although a gimmick – but still laudable news:

MUMBAI: It’s an annual affair at the national carrier (Air India), to operate an all-woman flight to mark International Women’s Day.

This year though the celebrations are set to scale unprecedented heights as an all-woman crew will operate the ultra-long-haul Mumbai-New York flight. It will perhaps be the first time in the global aviation history that a 14-16 hour non-stop flight that cuts across ten time zones will be “manned” only by women.

Flight AI-141 will have two sets of women pilots as is the norm with these flights. It is scheduled to take off at 0130 hours on Monday. Apart from this, the airline will be operating three domestic all women’s flight.

jetlagged
    Participant

But who’s going to park it when they get there?

Mistral
    Participant

Meanwhile, another airline, AirAsia marked International Women’s Day yesterday with a trying-to-be-tongue-in-cheek ad: “Now taking reservations. The seat, not the girl”, which appeared in the Bangkok Post’s Spectrum magazine yesterday.

It showed a slender stewardess posing beside a seat on which was perched the sign: “I’m hot.”

Okay, we know what’s really being sold here – tickets for the seats right? But somehow, to me and many of my friends, both women and men, that I sent an image of the ad to, they didn’t think so.

Looks like women haven’t really a long way after all.

Mistral
    Participant

Sorry, my last line should have read – Looks like women haven’t really come a long way after all!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hey Jetlagged – arnt you being a bit optomistic worrying about whether they can park the thing when it lands. Iam more worried about how they intend reversing the aircraft back from the stand – mind you, I am sure they will have enough mirrors between them………

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls