Air India to Sydney

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

CromartyScot – Yes, please let us know how you get on. There are very few reports of the AI product and especially on the 787.

It’s no wonder that AI is losing money on almost all its long-haul routes, judging by the price of your ticket.

Bangalore Aviation produced a chart recently which showed that the AI flights from Delhi to Australia were amongst the worst financial performers across its entire network.

http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2014/09/air-india-loses-money-on-all-but-two-international-flights.html

MarkivJ
    Participant

Indian living in the US here and my thoughts: In addition to historical aircraft, inflight and ground service issues, the biggest issue they face is negative perception. Many Indians (like me) in the US and India prefer European airlines (or even far eastern ones, taking a longer route and transit times) than risk it on AI to fly to India.

Having said that, a friend of mine flew the 787 recently from London and was pleasantly surprised by service, aircraft and punctuality. They probably just need to keep going at it and delivering the best they can and hope that people’s perceptions change eventually.

rferguson
    Participant

Cronmartyscot WOW I can see the appeal -£1700 return to Sydney in December is an amazing fare!

Whilst not too familiar with Air India (although I did find a great review on the Melbourne – Delhi sector) i’m an old hand at transiting Delhi. I usually position to DEL using staff travel to take advantage of really cheap India – OZ J fares (c £1300 on CX) which keeps my BA tier points topped up nicely 🙂

Like your AI flight, I usually have one long forced stopover of around ten hours on the outbound. The first time I did this routing I did not apply for a Visa and instead opted for ‘visa free transit’. DO NOT DO THIS. It ended up being a nightmare. To cut a long story short I ended up in a ‘transit waiting lounge’ for around six hours which had a couple vending machines and that was it. I was not allowed through to departures until a particular time and could not go through arrivals as I had no Visa. It was horrible.

The more recent times i’ve applied for a transit visa. I’m fortunate that i’ve used a non-UK passport and it’s cost me £15. I think a UK passport is around £45. The Visa issuing centre in the UK has been taken over my a third party and are very efficient. Everything is done online, you make an appointment and I waited no longer than fifteen minutes after my appointment time to be seen to and the lodging took minutes. Two days later I received a text alert to say I could go collect my passport.

Delhi Airport is actually a really pleasant airport to arrive and depart from. Maybe i’ve been lucky but I never see lines at immigration (there are dedicated First/Biz lines) and the baggage delivery has been speedier than in most cities. On departure only ticketed passengers are allowed into the building which makes the departure hall and check in nice and calm – no swarms of well wishers around. Security is a bit of a faff – make sure you keep your boarding pass to hand as no fewer than five people will want to see it and stamp it in the first ten minutes – but once you are airside it’s got plenty of facilities.

If you do need to book a hotel for a short night or day stop I highly recommend the ‘Red Fox Hotel’ at Delhi Airport (Aerocity). It is an Indian budget chain kind of like Premier Inn and thus I was hesitant to book at first. The place (and the chain itself) is SUPERB. Far more superior to the budget chains we are used to in europe. The place is brand new and they do ‘day rates’ including airport pick up and drop off for very little ££.

Here’s the link for the Air India flight (I believe it operates a triangular Delhi – Sydney – Melbourne – Delhi routing). I say go for it!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-india-boeing-787-executive-class-melbourne-delhi

pandancake
    Participant

My two bits- I recently flew AI to Bengaluru via Delhi from HK. Had booked a business ticket on a discount site out of Europe.

Two days before my flight received an email from the booking site informing me that my flight timing had changed and it was going to leave HKIA at 18.30 instead of 18.00.

Arrived at Airport Express at 17.00 and was told I was late for the flight which was going to depart at 18.00 and that would have to proceed to the airport and see if I could get on. Raced to the train with my luggage and kept calling the AI counter at the airport who said the counter was closed and I had missed the flight. Was in a state of absolute despair as I had to be in Bengaluru for an important meeting the next day. Anyway proceeded to the airport and the Star Alliance counter. I explained my predicament to the lady on duty and showed her the email I had received by this time it was 17.30. She called the flight gate and then asked if I had any liquids in my suitcase. I said I did but she issued me a boarding pass and then asked a colleague to take me through security for I was going to check my bag at the gate. I was sent threw the crew entrance for security where my liquids and sharps were removed from my suitcase.Lugging my suitcase along I ran through HKIA and arrived at the departure the gate. AI security and staff were awaiting me and took over my luggage. At this point I was close to collapse with all the tension and the crazy running through HKIA with a heavy bag in tow. Once on board a grandmotherly hostess supplied me with much champagne as I settled into my extremely comfortable seat and thanked god that I had made the flight.

The rest of the journey was fantastic in a clean comfortable aircraft and attentive staff. I had a layover for 9 hrs in Delhi and proceeded to spend the night at the Eton transit hotel which was quite adequate for an airport hotel.

Yes AI is a government owned bureaucratic , staff-heavy mess but I think it’s on the verge of a turnaround. If that does happen I would be happy to use it more often.

Alexthegreat
    Participant

First of all I would like to thank this forum for having made me aware of the great deal in Business Class with Air India. I got a ticket for GBP 1670 and travelled over Christmas to Sydney via Delhi. I would like to share with you my comments and feedback from the AI experience.

Booking request was done with Sharp Travel via their website and followed with a call to check it had gone through. It had and payment was processed and confirmation and e-ticket was received. They also said they would contact AI with regards to free hotel stopover on the return journey as there was a 12hr layover between flights – a nice touch as I hadnt yet asked for it. Seat assignment was also done except for the SYD/DEL sector as the flight was coming in from MEL (AI operate triangle routing DEL/MEL/SYD/DEL and DEL/SYD/MEL/DEL so one needs to check carefully when booking).

I also went onto the AI website to provide all information (passport/visa etc) and I must admit not the most passenger friendly of sites to work with.

When I booked, only the LHR/DEL sector was to operate on a 77W and all other sectors on 787. This ended up by being changed and the first 3 sectors were on 787 and DEL/LHR on 77W.

To sum up their Business Class product on board can be done in two words – consistently inconsistent!

The seat which converts to a flat bed is much more comfortable on the 787 than on their 77W. A light duvet and large pillow are provided as are slippers, eye shades and socks (proffered in a red paper envelope). Toothbrush + toothpaste and razors are available in the washroom. It was only on the last sector DEL/LHR that I discovered that they hand out sleep suits and when I asked how come they were not offered on the previous 3 sectors, the Cabin Services Manager was shocked, saying the sleep suits should have been on all flights!

The food served was tasty, but if you dont like Indian food, the European option is limited (in numbers available on board). Only Chicken was offered as the ‘meat option’ for Indian food. Either fish or prawns (one choice only) are offered for European food. Wine with the meal seemed to come as a second thought – all served in 1/2 bottles. The choice was the same for all flights – H.Blin Brut Champagne, 2 whites (Montagny Premier Cru and Grand Vin de Bourgogne Rully) 2 reds (Chateau Greysac Medoc and Grand Vin de Bordeaux Chateau Tour Seran).

Only on the DEL/LHR flight was ones tray table laid up with table cloth and the starter, main course and dessert/cheese/fruit served separately.

There is AVOD and a big choice of Bollywood movies to choose from. Understanding what Hollywood movies are available from their inflight magazine is not clear. Its best to just go through the choice available on the screen.

All in all I enjoyed my flights with Air India. Their 787 is a nice aircraft to fly and the flat bed comfortable to sleep on. The 5hr delay due fog in DEL was beyond their control (DEC/JAN can be a nightmare for fog).

I got all the benefits as a ROP Gold Card member.

Was it value for money? Yes.

Would I use them again? Yes if it was a similar fare.

Below are some comments about each sector.

LHR/DEL
    On arrival in LHR (T5) I remained in transit and took the bus to T4. As the AI Transit Desk in T4 was closed, I was directed up to the AI Lounge and from there my passport was taken and returned 30mins later with the 2 boarding cards. The lounge was ok but nothing special. Open bar with limited choice. There was some hot and cold finger bites – some of which had a real bite to it!

Due to the inbound flight coming in late the LHR/DEL flight had a delay – plus it departed from Gate 23 – quite some distance from the lounge (near Gate 1). The flight was also very full. Their 787 has 18 seats in Business Class. Row 1 is too close to the galley and washroom, row 3 is too close to the galley. I had chosen seat 2A but ended up moving to a Row 2 central aisle seat so an elderly couple could travel together.

There were pre departure drinks (water, orange juice or champagne) and a selection of Indian papers and magazines were offered from the trolley. Menu cards were also handed out.

On this flight a Dinner and Continental Breakfast was served (though the menu only referred to the Dinner). There was a choice only of 4 main courses – 1 of which was European (Grilled Prawns with Nantua Sauce and only 2 available which the elderly couple both opted for). The other choices were Laziz Murg-e-Zafrani (Chicken Curry), Panir Tikka Lababdar and Vegetable Makhanwala. I chose the Chicken Curry.

The bar service was served from the trolley. The starter/main course came all at once with a glass of water. The service was slow and by the time they came out with wine (served in 1/2 bottles) most people had already finished. Thereafter the trolley came with a choice of cheese, dessert and fresh fruit. Tea/coffee was served with complimentary chocolates (2 in a box).

Prior to landing a Continental Breakfast was served with tea/coffee and juice.

Delhi was fogbound but the Captain announced that the 787 was able to land as both crew were fully qualified for reduced visbility landings.

On arrival in DEL after a long walk (T3 is enormous) I went through transit security, which involved my passport and boarding pass being checked several times, my hand baggage having tags attached which were stamped after going through the Xray machines but no requitement to take out liquids or laptops/iPads. Thereafter I went to the AI Lounge – one for Business Class, the other for First Class and accessedby the same Reception. The bar and food/snack station is located in the Business Class lounge as are the washrooms and showers. WiFi is available and they give you a scratch card (for the access code) at the Reception.

DEL/SYD (via MEL)

The same 787 that I flew in from LHR was operating this flight. Again the flight was very full (to MEL) and this time I kept my chosen seat 2A. Flight time to MEL was announced as 12hrs and we departed with a 1hr delay (awaiting connecting passengers and bags). Interestingly although we would arrive in MEL early morning, the two meals served were Lunch & Dinner. Only the lunch was shown on the Menu Card. After the lunch service (Chicken Murg Methi Malai), the lights were dimmed and the windows darkened (no window shades on the 787). This was too early for me and I had them release my window so I could undarken it and enjoy the view. The crew then congregated in the galley behind the curtain, only venturing out if the call button was pushed and 2hrs before arrival in MEL to serve Dinner (Chicken Biryani)

On arrivel in MEL, transit passengers for SYD had to disembark and go through security, returning thereafter to wait at the gate to reboard the aircraft with the joining passengers. There was a change of crew. In SYD however, transit passengers going to DEL had to remain on board! On the short sector to SYD, a sandwich with tea/coffee was offered.

Cabin crew handed out Immigration/Customs forms and ‘Ebola’ forms. Express Arrivals cards were also handed out and it certainly helped as the queues were long – albeit they moved quite quickly.

SYD/DEL

The evening before I received an e-mail to say that my flight would now depart SYD 1hr later. Web check-in was not available so at the airport I was given both boarding cards for SYD/DEL & DEL/LHR. AI use the NZ lounge at SYD but as it was under renovations, I was proposed to use the QF lounge. I was given an Express Departures card, but the queues were such that it wasn’t required. The QF lounge was heaving with people and staff were being bombarded with complaints that no seats were available, so I went to the SQ lounge and they accepted me with my ROP Gold Card.

We departed on time (revised schedule). Lunch and Dinner was served on the13hr flight. Murg Rogini (Chicken) for lunch and Chicken Biryani for dinner. After battling with the crew to have them release my window (at 2pm I dont wish to sleep) I managed to get some great views as we flew over the ‘Red Centre’. Again the crew hid behind the curtain for most of the flight outside the meal service.

On arrival in DEL, (a clear evening) I was met at Transit, processed through security and taken to the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel and dinner (chicken burger with chips or pasta with chicken bolognese sauce and then ice cream) was included. The room was small but clean and fine for a fews hours rest between flights. I had a 5am wake up call for the 06.50hrs flight to LHR.

DEL/LHR

This flight was on a 77W. Thick fog had descended during the night and although we boarded on time, it was some 5hrs before we eventually took off. The cabin crew proposed drinks and then breakfast during this time. The Captain provided updates and apologised each time for the rolling delay.

We were the first (of 86 aircraft waiting) to take off. Lunch was served on this flight (Chicken Murg Methi Malai). One of the benefits of the day flight to LHR were the great views of the Hindu Kush mountains and Afghanistan.

Our late arrival into LHR (4pm) meant that Immigration was almost empty.

TominScotland
    Participant

Great review, Alex, thanks!!

MartinJ
    Participant

Thank you, Alex, for this great review! Two questions:
    1. Was the Eaton Smart included in the fare (you said your TA asked about free accommodation but I don’t know the result)?
    2. What is a ROP Gold Card?

conc001
    Participant

great review seems like a seroiurs option has anyone treid China Eastern to Aus, I know they always have cheap fares , just wondering as a comparrision.

MrMichael
    Participant

Liked your review Alex. I am off to Australia next month, and as always am looking forward immensely to the views over the red centre. Of the eight or so flights only once have I spotted Uluru (Ayers Rock), I think you need to be headed for Melbourne for that.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Alex, nice review as I’ve often wondered if it’s worth giving AI a try.

Alexthegreat
    Participant

Hello MartinJ. In answer to your questions….
    Yes the Eaton Smart Hotel was provided by Air India but I guess you dont get it automatically unless its requested and in this case the TA pre-empted my request.
    ROP Gold Card is Thai’s Royal Orchid Plus frequent flyer programme

Alexthegreat
    Participant

Hello MrMichael
    Am reliably informed that departing from SYD or MEL you have a good chance to see the Red Centre (Uluru or Alice Springs) but you need to follow the flight map on your screen and if necessary even request the cabin crew to ask the cockpit if and when you will fly over it. Flying to SYD/MEL you may not see it if you are on a night flight.

MrMichael
    Participant

I watch the moving map with great interest believe me. I find flying to Sydney the aircraft takes a more northerly track, the one time I did see it we had departed Melbourne and saw it from the left side of the aircraft, it was stunning. I think I was on Qantas at the time and the skipper did announce it.

MartinJ
    Participant

Thank you Alex! Good to see Air India switched from the dismal Centaur Hotel to the Eaton Smart.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls