Air France resumes Montevideo service from mid-April 2013

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Great news! A fabulous city. No doubt as a result of Iberia withdrawing its service.

(from Airline Route)

‘Update at 1145GMT 07FEB13

AIRFRANCE starting 16APR13 is resuming service to Uruguay after 12 years service cancellation. The Skyteam member will operate 5 weekly Paris CDG – Buenos Aires – Montevideo service on board 3-class Boeing 777-200ER aircraft. It does not have local traffic rights on on Buenos Aires – Montevideo sector and overall Buenos Aires service remains daily.

AF394 CDG2320 – 0805+1EZE0945+1 – 1040+1MVD 772 x16
    AF393* MVD1400 – 1500EZE1700 – 1100+1CDG 772 x27

AF418 CDG2320 – 0805+1EZE 772 16
    AF417 EZE1700 – 1100+1CDG 772 27

In 2000 and 2001 (until 25MAR01), AF operated Paris CDG – Buenos Aires – Montevideo service once a week.
    * Initially flight number was loaded as AF397, but AF has revised the flight number after this report was filed.’

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you for posting this development alexpo1, it is an interesting development. Although IB is really streamlining and costcutting at present (as is AF), it does deomonstrate AF/KLs belief that money is to be made in South America.As an example, AF will start Brasilia next year, and I think GIG or GRU will go A380.

IAG have done nothing there whatsover in the past couple of years, even with their many new former BMI slots and the fact that most South American economies are doing very well indeed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

IAG is hamstrung at Iberia by expensive staffing costs and inefficient aircraft; both issues are being addressed, with the recent efficiency plan and the delivery of A330s starting this month with the new Iberia cabin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwxlZrmouc

Until the product is competitive, there’s no point in flogging a dead horse on current routes, or indeed investing into new ones. Their new business class (featured in the link) looks zippo – if they can sort out their famously cold cabin crew, then I would not hesitate to use the airline.

I would say it’s a five year plan, and the initial focus has been (very successfully) in reducing back office and procurement costs; the customer facing elements will follow over the coming years.

The former bmi slots only became available at LHR six months ago, and were by no means certain right up to the last.

Again, BA has an issue here because the transactions means they lack sufficient longhaul aircraft to capitalise on those routes.

There have however been more orders for the 777-300ER (two more were ordered for lease late last year) and the well publicised delays to the A380 and 787 have also impacted capacity, but this situation will turn around as the new fleet starts delivery this year.

I am certain IAG will increase its services to South America in due course, but given the huge changes happening in connection with the merger, it is right to for Iberia to retrench somewhat and for BA to wait until it has the right aircraft to service these very long haul routes.

I’d imagine a 787 would be excellent on direct South American routes from Heathrow?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I’m delighted to see this service from Air France having just experienced the sort of F service from them that I thought you only got on LX or SQ.

Skyteam certainly seem to be getting a grip on South America and long may it continue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls