Air France launching new route to Salvador in Brazil

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

It seems AF is further increasing its Brazilian network and will start a route to Salvador da Bahia in Brazil later this year. It will be trice weekly and be using A350-900.

This is bold starting a route with A350 as opposed to 789 or A330.

I say further increasing as they already ply the following..

CDG-GRU (Sao Paulo ) 14 x weekly, using 77W and 772.
    CDG-GIG (Rio) 7 x weekly, using 77W
    CDG-Fortaleza 3 x weekly using A350.

I could go on a whinge about how BA could be bolder but will refrain on this occasion..

There is a vast Brazilian diaspora in UK and all across the EU that AF are tapping into as well as targeting premium leisure and business traffic.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Kudos to AF and wishing them good luck. I’m sure they’re done their research into this destination. But My understanding is that this new route uses some of the slots left when they cancelled the brasilia and Recife routes pre pandemic

LaWhore
    Participant

You clearly are misinformed.

BA will increase GRU to 10x weekly in W24/5.

GIG will retain the 7x weekly red eye schedule on B772, an upgrade from B788.

BA is a business and unlike AF, is is rather good at making money.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Don’t forget TAP, they fly almost 100 times a week to Brazil. Not everyone’s favourite airline but essentially the dominant European carrier to Brazil.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Agree with La Whore. One may say that BA doesn’t take enough risks like its Skyteam sisters, but at the end of the fiscal period, BA/IAG seems to come on top compared to AF-KL or the LH group.

sparkyflier
    Participant

LaWhore – when it comes to BA long haul routes I am very informed.

For years I have been leading/starting BA route discussion threads on this forum, I broke the news of the LHR/GIG/EZE route alteration with the plane stopping at Rio en route to Buenos Aires with the switch from 788 to 772 and I co-broke the news of BA increasing GRU to 10 x weekly on this forum too.

And re making money, in the First Quarter of this year, BA did not make that much money. I appreciate they did not make losses like AF/KL or LH Group but they only made a profit of Euro20m, less than a third of their partner Iberia who have a vastly smaller fleet and operation, yet they made Euro70m.

MarkivJ – I am not sure AF ever did Recife in recent years (stand to be corrected) but know they did do Brasilia. I recall their timing was not good however as at the time Brazil started going into a deep recession. Perhaps now would be a good time to re-examine that.

AlanOrton1 – Indeed. TP are market leaders to Brazil with flights across the whole country. No airline will want/be able to match their network but although LIS is not the easiest airport to change at, the inflight service I think is reasonable, both in J and Y, and they use very comfy A330neo (as well as A321LRs on some thinner routes).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Brazil is I guess quite a difficult market to crack, evidence of that is Virgin’s on again – off again – on again – off again launch of LHR – GRU.

I think it terms of BA launching more Brazil/LATAM routes whilst I would love a more global route network map I imagine they are sticking to where they know they will make the most money – North America. Likewise, Air France has a vastly inferior North American route map compared to BA yet a superior one to South America and Asia. I guess most airlines will stick to their strengths.

IAG also seems to have a dual LHR/MAD hub strategy with BA and LHR focusing on North America and IB on South America from MAD as far as westbound routes from europe are concerned.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Sadly you did not get a chance to announce A350 in W24/5 on GIG/EZE.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls