Air France-KLM in profit

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

JohnHarper
    Participant

It seems that AF/KL have generated €130M surplus in 2013, some amazing turn around on a loss of €336m in 2012.

More here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26274050

I think this is a piece of really good news and with the new C cabin being rolled out on KLM and AF getting ready to introduce a world leading C seat and a new F product they can only go from strength to strength.

World78
    Participant

Diving a little deeper into those results… KLM earned €100m from charging customers extra fees to take suitcases or for more leg room.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/02/klm_earned_over_100m_last_year.php?#sthash.glOV72ON.dpuf

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Their Operating Profit was Euro130M in 2013 vs. an Operating Loss of Euro336M in 2012.

However add all the non operating items and the Group Net Loss was Euro1,827M in 2013 vs. Euro1,225M in 2012.

Strip out some non cash deferred tax accounting and the adjusted Group Net Loss was Euro349M in 2013 vs. Euro696 in 2012.

Have they turned the corner in their restructuring, I don’t think it’s possible to tell from these results.

http://www.airfranceklm.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Press_release/6148_AFKL_Annual_results.pdf

MarcusUK
    Participant

I also found the results contradictory, and as a shareholder not helpful.
    KLM has been in profit for some time now, with Air France responsible for the bleeding of cash and running services at a loss.

I do think they are heading in the right direction with the Transform 2015 plan though. They have a leaner staff base (mostly 10 Reduction in AF staff), are gaining more revenue, and have cut costs. The Cargo operations is poor, with around 64% load factors only.

Pity about Alitalia and the write off of 1 Billion Euros.

I hope Cityjet is finally sold off, and sorted out also soon, dragging on, and rather a mess in terms of routes and plans at the moment. Its standards have dropped and routes are being cancelled and bases springing up, being at the requirement of the new owner or not/
    Confusing…

The shares i bought 2 years ago have doubled anyhow.

KLM certainly have strived with many staff initiatives that have saved money, increased revenue, and also added to quality and service. One aspect for eg is the food service on board, another the cabin re-design for Business Class.

They are not there yet, (Neither are IAG or the LH group), but they are heading in the right direction. It is very tough against many Asian and Gulf Airlines entering their markets.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls