Air France industrial action in October?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Talks today between management and the Air France unions (regarding job cuts etc) have broken down paving the way for possible industrial action.

News report in French language:

http://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-services/tourisme-transport/021369079429-air-france-annonce-lechec-des-negociations-avec-ses-pilotes-1160922.php#xtor=CS1-33

A day of action has been called for October 5 when unions will hold a demonstration in front of Air France’s HQ between 1000 and 1400hrs.

Something which I’ve never before seen at other major airlines is that the union has put together a You Tube video “Mobilisons-Nous le 5 October 2015” where staff show their rejection of management demands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWzSPceatgk&feature=youtu.be

Can you imagine such a thing happening at Singapore Airlines ?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

The “insiders” of the French labour market fighting like cats to ensure that the “outsiders” don’t muscle in on their pay, pensions, perks and privileges.

It’s interesting just how many of those new to the French labour market have now to accept short-term contracts and insecurity of employment that is the very opposite of what those at Air France enjoy.

“Don’t do as we do, just do as we say…!” ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

More trouble ahead at AF. Job cuts will be announced on Monday which is the day some staff will be protesting outside the carrier’s HQ..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/02/us-airfrance-employment-france-idUSKCN0RW0DX20151002

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Best to remember that the period between the end of the summer hols and the start of the Xmas hols tends to be a ‘saison greve’ in France, so expect disruption on any transport platform at any time.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ FDOS_UK

I always thought every period was ‘saison greve’ in France! 🙂

MarcusGB
    Participant

MarcusGB
    Participant

I spoke for about 20 Minutes to a KLM Captain en route back from Hong Kong a few weeks ago.
    The shares have almost halved in 18 months.
    KLM makes a profit, is lean, team and democratically lead. Air France are generally rude, and cannot be bothered when you fly with them, with less quality on board experience right down to food.

They should separate the two Airline results, and shame Air France.
    Should they go on strike again, they will cut their own jobs, as they eat away at hard working KLM staff who make the profits only for them to be wiped out. They need to cut all non profit making AF Routes, and this action will lead to more staff being let go. A stupid stance, and selfish.
    This The KLM Captain was very angry and embarrassed by!

craigwatson
    Participant

The best way to make legacy carriers profitable would be to get rid of the short haul routes and outsource to the LoCo’s. Most short haul routes are unprofitable or have negligtable profits, but they are used to feed traffic to the profitable long haul routes. So I can see the legacies moving to outsourcing, and it’s a smart move.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

dutchyankee – 02/10/2015 14:12 BST

You don’t tend to get many strikes in August in my experience 🙂 Or at Xmas.

Biggless
    Participant

Certainly bad news to hear about the possible industrial action. I am flying CDG to GRU on 11 Oct. MarcusGB, my own experience is exactly the opposite ! I fly KLM/AF fairly frequently and on both long and short haul I prefer AF over KLM. The food and wine is better. On average I would say the seat (in business class) and staff are about equal but the lounges in CDG are much better than AMS. I have always been able to get a shower, normally immediately and at worst within 15 mins. In AMS the showers are nearly always full (in the mornings) with a 30 min plus wait. They will pay for the showers in the hotel outside the lounge but only if you get pushy. All in all the KLM lounge in AMS is hopeless. I admit that the new KLM flat bed is better than AF but as yet hardly any planes have it. I’m sitting in Hong Kong right now awaiting AF 185 to CDG (in business). I came out a different route on KLM so I will post my comments as to the comparison.

dutchyankee
    Participant

FDOS_UK

Yes, of course, the French would never strike during their vacations, mon dieu, and inconvenience themselves, mais non! 🙂

My better half is French-Italian so I better be careful!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Air France has now issued an “alert” as industrial action will take place on Monday October 5.

It involves ground staff at Paris and the French regions.

“We plan to operate all our flights but delays remain possible.”

http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news_air_traffic_air_france.htm#codemarche-en-common-page-flottante-hp-news-air-traffic-air-france-htm

AMcWhirter
    Participant

By now you’ve probably seen the angry and chaotic scenes outside the Air France HQ this morning.

The workers were demonstrating against the airline’s plan to cut 2,900 jobs, remove 14 long-haul aircraft from its fleet and cancel its B787 Dreamliner order.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/10/05/uk-airfrance-employment-idUKKCN0RZ0OX20151005

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls