Air Canada Executive First or BA Club World

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I will be flying in October and wondered how the two carriers compare in J Class. Feedback appreciated.

Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

Never flown BA Club ……..so I can’t compare like for like…sorry Bullfrog

I would whole heartily recommend AC …in fact was my carrier of choice travelling back and forth to YVR, however as I’ve said in another thread……Avios now forces me back to BA……

What to expect…..

A typical relaxed Canadian welcome……especially if the crew are west coast based (I am biased)

Excellent food served as individual courses at your pace……

IFE system good, but not as good as other carriers I’ve flown (CX/EK) if you’re British heavy emphasis on US/CAN programming……all in all not bad

The most memorable part of the journey however is the service,,,,,,,,relaxed, friendly, personable ……you’re in Canada before you leave LHR…ask for a Caesar when you board! And enjoy !!

Good topic Bullfrog, I’m also keen to find out other peoples thoughts!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Well Air Canada have a herringbone configuration ((Virgin style), and BA have the flat beds facing front and back. AC have far fewer seats across, depending on the aircraft type, and BA have up to 8 seats across – 2 + 4+ 2. I am not sure if AC have a reclined position, in between fully flat and upright

On what route and with what aircraft do you know? Is it before or after the clocks change, when equipment types & schedules sometimes change?

If the BA aircraft is a 767 (which I know some dislike, at least before any refurb), then this would be persuasive for me, as all seats are aisle or window.

On in-flight service, I would have thought AC would be slightly better simply because it is their highest standard of service.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Oh and I recall my sister flew Air Canada last year, and found the inflight food tasty, and she is very difficult to please!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Outbound from LHR to Montreal October 24, and returning Toronto to LHR on October 28. I’m not a great fan of the ‘squeezed in’ BA Club seat and tend to prefer the herringbone pattern.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I just quickly checked for you and BA have 777s on all the flights on those days, so it would be 2-4-2, which would be a turn off for me if there is a risk of being in the middle 2.
    AC have a330 there and 767/330 on the return, only 3 seats across. . .

canucklad
    Participant

If lounge access is a consideration…….i wasn’t impressed with the Star lounge in T3……after saying that, the YVR flight leaves at lunchtime so the lounge was packed……..and not well maintained as a result

Never used the YYZ lounge but the Maple Leaf lounge in YVR is very good !

Have to say that BA would probably score higher in this category!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Lounge access & IFE don’t bother me .. I hardly use them.

I want a comfortable seat with space, good service & something reasonable to eat.

I hate the 6pm departure to Montreal by BA .. leads to dreadful jet lag.

I think I will choose Air Canada .. and although I normally prefer a daylight return, I may have to choose an evening flight & will take a B767 rather than an Airbus.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Bul.llfrog

Sitting here, waiting to go and play football and thinking of home . And I bizarelly just remembered that I recomended AC to you. Curious to find out if I should have kept my thoughts to myself !

kawttyn
    Participant

Any time I take AC Exec First over BA Club (YYZ – LHR) or any US airlines’ business class including Asian routes from YYZ,/YVR, food is much better ( I have allergies and I am very picky on food), selection of wine is good, pantry is very well stocked up during the flight, hot and cold food any time in the pantry, service is good for North American and European standard, not necessary Asian standarde. Lots of privacy with single seat partition, no peeping Tom on what you are working on with your laptop or ipad, 180 flat bed to sleep over the Atlantic or Pacific, don’t hear snoring right next to me,There is an arrival AC Maple Leaf lounge at LHR that I can freshen up with shower facility before heading into London for my business meetings. Even from the US, I would route over YYZ or YVR with AC to get the service level that I expected over BA or any US airlines for business class.
    Ditto to canucklad

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I went into the AC arrival lounge at LHR earlier this year (but only for a couple of minutes) using my Priority Pass card – it isn’t in an obvious location, as you actually have to leave the terminal to get to it! It is next to the Hoppa bus stop. Small, but seemed pleasant enough

SteveShannon
    Participant

I am an AC Super Elite and (when I was in the UK) was gold with BA so used to both business classes. I think AC has done a great job with the herring bone Exec 1st and IFE but the service is HIGHLY variable and their lounges are good but not exceptional. BA service is consistently good and often excellent – their food and wine choices are superior to AC – the seats you either love or hate (I like the fact you can actually see out a window and can have better contact with a travel partner). In addition the BA lounges beat the pants off any NA airlines.
    In summary you will likely get a good experience on both airlines but BA has the edge in every area with the exception of the seating if you like the herring bone configuration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls