Air Algerie development

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Hi all,
    Just read today that Air Algerie will be spending around 600millions euros to become a Interntional operator, and join an alliance.
    How realistic is that? Their service is not known to be of any good standard I was told.
    I stopped at reading that royal air maroc would be next to join an alliance.
    Thoughts?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It may be somewhat premature, but it’s not as daft as it sounds.

Africa is likely to be one of the largest growth markets for aviation in the next quarter century, as poor road infrastructure and increasingly energetic economies see boomtime for airlines.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have to agree with VK here. Personally I wouldn’t fly with them but I said that of Turkish and have since done so.

I think it’s also why Egyptian was accepted into Star and why KLM-Air France bought a good stake in Kenya airways.

I could envisage Rwanda starting a major operation one day being really in the centre of Africa.

What is also interesting, is that SAA has been a springboard into most of Southern Africa and that could change if other Northern or Central African carriers develop their own hubs like QR et al have done.

Unless traffic expands QR, Emirates etc could also suffer by seeing their European business being reduced as they currently provide many flights to these African destinations.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Thanks VK and LuganoPirate.
    I just wonder what competitive advsntage airlines such as air algerie or ram could have over the established europeans or even middle eastern.
    The african market might grow, but would this be africa internal routes or rather linkage to where the money will be, middle east and Europe.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, Stelios is on the march in Africa, so let the games begins:

http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/0317542-stelios-fastjet-set-take-october

sparkyflier
    Participant

Am with LP on Rwanda, and have suggested on this forum a couple of times that Rwandair should join Oneworld, to help them complete with KQ, ET and even MS and TK.

Rwanda is very well positioned to capture traffic from Europe south, and from the east to west, north, central and southern Africa. BA, S7, CX and MH could all fly into Kigali and then connect.

I hear that it is a small but smart carrier.

In North Africa Air Algerie would be competing with RAM, Tunisair and also Afriqia, who are all positioning themselves as hubs to serve Africa.

Most of these however are probably “dry”airlines, which for some, including me, is not a persuasive aspect to choosing them.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree with you about some of these being dry airlines sparky, so not for me either, not that I would be tempted by Air Algeria or even transiting in Algiers anyway!

I imagine Rachid the competitive advantage would come from lower labour costs and much lower, if not non-existent, social costs which add considerably to the European wage. catering costs would also be lower and they would not have to pay APD, ETS (on the non European flights at least) etc.

Assuming they aim for the budget traveller, and do not spend fortunes on premier terminals and the like they would also make big savings in the transit costs.

Other than this their fuel costs would be on a par as would aircraft lease and running costs.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Of course Rwanda Air’s two main partners at present are Ethiopian and Brussels Airlines. Belgium remains a major link for Rwanda and I think the only direct flights to Europe are to Brussels.

For an emerging carrier who do seem to be very focussed with a good offering they may well be inclined to stick close to their current partners rather than cast themselves adrift from them and so my money would be on them joining *A.

Air Algerie gearing up is interesting news and I think they will naturally head to SkyTeam.

chvoyageur
    Participant

you wrong CX…
    Kl and TK have direct flights to kigali from Amsterdam and Istanbul…

CXDiamond
    Participant

I live and learn!

I did also learn that Air Rwanda’s interline agreements are all with SkyTeam members so no current relationships with Oneworld at all.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Rachid1974, Just a few comments if I may. Air Algerie is already a well recognized international airline with a very modern fleet of 42 aircraft comprising A330, 767, 737-800 and -600, and ATR 72’s. Their list of destinations include numerous countries outside of Algeria, including European countries, of course France, but also Belgium, UK, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Russia and Turkey, numerous locations in western Africa, the Middle East and even Canada, so pretty international. I have flown them a few times and while not excellent, I would say their service was good to very good. They are often the only choice to Oran and Annaba, and I used them once to Burkina Faso (Ouagadougou) as they had the best connection. Having lived a large portion of my life in Africa, I am always interested when people slag off African carriers. Some for sure I too would never set foot on, but there are plenty of others that are very good, and have very good reputations, especially with those of us who have actually used them. RAM, EgyptAir, Air Algerie, Air Namib, Arik, Air Botswana, TACV, all are fine, and do a fine job in often challenging environments. This in addition to the often mentioned SAA, Kenya and Ethiopian. The issue is that often to get to some of the more, shall we say; unique destiantions on the continent, you have to go local or drive which in many places is downright hell. I would certainly agree that Air Algerie would most probably go SkyTeam, especially with the logical and historic close ties to France.

On the basis of Air Rwanda, this is currently a tiny regional airline with very big ambitions and should definitely be one to watch. Rwanda is having a boom right now, especially in IT and tourism/hospitality (my area of business) so a country and airline on the rise.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls