Afternoon Tea Vicar ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

Its after 4.30, its a Club Europe flight of over 2 and a half hours – I was expecting a hot meal ? We always serve afternoon tea on this flight Sir !

So an almost 3 hour sector, half hour wait for bags then 45 mins drive ! Almost 9.45 pm and only 3 anaemic sandwiches and a couple of scones.

Excuse given was ‘ Operational Reason ‘ – Budgetary reasons more like.

Motto is Beware the 11.30 and 16.30 watersheds !

SimonS1
    Participant

As bacrew said on the other thread, vote with your feet.

Drumochter
    Participant

If your flight was scheduled to depart after 16:30 then you should have received a hot meal service so perhaps the catering for the flight was modified for an ‘operational’ reason. The afternoon tea (I am rather fond of the warmed scones, jam and cream although I agree the sandwich offering could be enlarged) is offered on flights scheduled to depart between 14:00 and 16:30.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Not really, sounds about right for a lunch time flight to serve sandwiches considering most people eat sandwiches for lunch and on the latter flight would be right to serve afternoon tea as it would be early for most people to eat a hot meal. Your fight time was less than three hours. As you had a CE ticket you would of had access to the lounge so you got of eaten in there too especially if you left from LHR as you would of had a buffet of goodies.

Travellator
    Participant

Flight was scheduled after 16.30 so not talking about an actual take off time.

Afternoon Tea is OK IF and a big IF you are expecting it.
    Because of our total journet time we avoid Afternoon Tea and Extended Breakfast flights where possible as this one was.

Travellator
    Participant

Becky – 16.30 is hardly lunch time !

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Not exactly dinner time either. I cant see that much demand for a full hot meal at 16:30 in the afternoon.

Drumochter
    Participant

“Flight was scheduled after 16.30 so not talking about an actual take off time.”

In which case I have to agree with you – you did not receive the expected service standard which is clearly stated on the website. Of course, the catering loaded could have been changed for a multitude of perfectly acceptable/understandable reasons but unfortunately this does not help. I think the best outcome would have been for the excuse to have been preceded with something which could reasonably be expected to fall within the definition of an apology – I can only hope it was!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Also it is quite common for most london hotels that serve afternoon tea to serve this up until 17:30 and in some cases 18:00

Travellator
    Participant

Arriving in Europe at after 20.30 yes considering it probably isnt served until airborne bout an hour. Also no Buffet of Goodies at our departure point, zero hot food at all.

Travellator
    Participant

Drumochter

Good response from Crew made comments on i pad and follow up by e mail shortly after — ‘ Dear John……….

BeckyBoop
    Participant

What was your departure point?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I really don’t understand this aversion to afternoon tea.

It’s my favourite repast of the day!

Drumochter
    Participant

Good response from Crew made comments on i pad and follow up by e mail shortly after — ‘ Dear John……….

Well I have to say I am impressed – job well done by the crew – in the circumstances they could really do no more, but could have done an awful lot less. “To Fly To Serve” actually in action.

I’m guessing your chariot for this little extravaganza was a dear old “-400” of the none jumbo variety……?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls