AF returned to IAH because of a mobile phone

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• StewartKidd1
    Participant

Emirates also allows use of cell phones immediately after touchdown – even at LGW and LHR.

Phones are often left on planes – frequently found in luggage bins and seat pockets. All that would be required to render a rogue phone safe would be to remove the battery – or hit it hard with a bottle !

Swissdiver
    Participant

That’s the point. Why they didn’t simply remove the battery…

Stowage222
    Participant

A rogue mobile phone would never be allowed into the cockpit. Standard procedure is to leave it alone and talk to “the experts” on the ground to decide a course of action.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Stowage222, can we assume “the experts” ordered the plane to go back to IAH?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

An interesting thread. I remember watching a Discovery chanel type programme which attempted to simulate interference from a mobile phone with an aircraft’s instrumentation. They concluded that it was unlikely, but not impossible.

I also remember being on a CX flight from HKG to LAX when the captain woke everybody in mid flight and asked us to all check that our phones were off. He said that he was getting some strange signals and would have to divert if they continued. He thanked us soon after, and we continued on our way, and that was on a 747!

I think the problem maybe is multiple phones seeking a signal, not just an odd one or two.

Stowage222
    Participant

Swiss – obviously we would not be made aware of the instructions given to the pilots but the security experts on the ground would be in a position to look at other factors (such as known threats etc) which would influence their course of action.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Very interesting to read how different people would deal with this situation.

In the 90’s it would probably have been ignored, up to about 5 years ago, the cell phone may have been “isolated”, but in 2012, would you WANT anybody to tamper with a roghue phone at 37,000′?

I dont think AF had a choice, except once the aircraft was on the ground, I hope the “experts” were aboe to ID the phone and return it to its rightful passenger in front of all th eother passengers.

If it belonged to someone from a previous flight, then the firm that prepped the aircraft prior to boarding needs to be fired or shot and…………………. if it did turn out to be an item of danger, then then Air France should be thanked for having such vigilent and robust procedures, once in the air course.

This situation could not have been resolved any other way unless someone had ID’d the phone pn board.

RichHI1
    Participant

As ever Martyn you are bang on the money. I am amazed yet comforted at the lack of understanding of possible dangers. “removing the primary battery will solve issue”…
    I would be interested to know if El Al or other carriers who try to take security seriously do sweeps for field effects or digital noise.
    Interesting secondary point is cellphones are used in espionage (industrial) probably more often than terrorism. You plant your cell either linked into carrier femtocell or you hardcode it to certain towers to stop the mutipath lock out and then listen to the conversations in that seat. Instances I hve heard of were admittedly in lounge meeting rooms but where there is a will…

I do not think anyone needs to blame cellphones for AF477 when you start with Air France and airbus equipment. It is scandalous that it could happen in 2009. May those lost souls and their friends and families find peace.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls