AF-KLM new baggage policy for USA flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I found this information regarding a new check in baggage policy for pax flying with AF-KLM from Europe to the USA. The rule will be implemented starting November 2009.

So it is not only BA who is getting “stingy” !!

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/about/news_press/travel_news/floatingnews/New_baggage_rules.htm

flyingformiles
    Participant

I think a lot of airlines will be reviewing policies. We hear so much about BA from the British press, I expect the French/Dutch press will have more coverage about AF-KLM than BA.

Hess963
    Participant

You are right.
    But it will be nice if other users or just readers would post/share their experiences with AF/KLM( Skyteam ) or LH, OS, SAS, TK ( Star Alliance )–it doesn’t necessarily mean writing a very long and extensive trip report–but normally it is the short opinions whether it is a good or bad one which normally affect most of us here.

JackyLek
    Participant

I wouldnt call the new rule for stingy. American route has always the privileges for 2pc of luggage, meanwhile other routes as the Far East only 1pc . At least Elite members still keep their 2pc.

Hess963
    Participant

Well in a way it is–those two piece concept thing for free is getting less or rare–alright GF and EK is increasing their baggage allowances–so it still shows that this is not always decreasing but increasing can be policy as well. It is just too obvious that this piece concept allowance could only be sustained or profitable for the airlines involved when the pax are paying for the second luggage. UA, KL etc. are not the last who will implement such policy for the US-European routes. Then it might be equal for all Y pax in the world again.

That only loyal status holder gain or retain generous baggage allowances in certain airlines–could be the future policy of North American and European airlines.

The question is more or less–when will Asian carriers will follow this North American/European changes or follow more the example of the Middle Eastern airlines mentionend before or just keep as it is. But for how long as this policy might undermine the strive for common procedures and equality to all pax in their alliances.

JackyLek
    Participant

If all carrier will start charging for luggage then the game is over for the consumer. But if people start avoiding flying with these carrier that having these charges, I will assume that they will remove the charges pretty quikly. And other airlines that doesnt have these charges will not follow. I have stop using US carrier since they start with the charges , unless I must flying domestic.

Hess963
    Participant

That is right Jacky.

But how serious and consistent are the frequent travellers of today which are not members of any frequent flyer club really? It is easy to say” I will not fly them or never again “. Especially the European and North American airlines are getting stingy and stricter concerning allowances for Y pax. All those surcharges implemented. While the other parts in the world like Middle East and Asia are more pax friendly or at least tend to do so.

We know that the airlines in general at the moment are still struggling to get everything going good. But still you are already hearing that in 2010 the business class fare in general will be rising again or similar increase in other classes are planned.

Well-coming back to my previous point–how will the pax react to this ??

JackyLek
    Participant

Well Hess ….

F and C pax doesent care much about this since the ticket is pay by their company and they Elite status so it doesent affect them so much now. And they hardly check in their luggage.

Ex : I used to be in that position, but after I got married me and my family travel a lot between Asia and Europe. And we do have a lot of luggage everytime.

So I do try my best to support the carrier that give the best value. Ticket price is not always the first priority, as many of my friends do
    when they choose a carrier.

As base in Scandinavia our best gateway and carrier to the Far East TG – AY – QR – SK

claudia77
    Participant

What I don’t get is why most airlines are changing their policies now… what has been the problem when people were allowed to check in two bags free of charge? It is irritating me that airlines are starting to charge for everything. Next thing they will be charging us to use the toilets in the plane…

Hess963
    Participant

OH Claudia !!
    I hope you did not wake any of those “Ryan Air” fans who support such ideas of charging almost any possible service on a flight ! As you know–airlines are struggling to save money and addtional luggages on the flight cost more weight and therefore more fuel needed for the flight. So by reducing the baggage allowances–they will be saving money in the end.

But some airlines like EK, GF… are doing the other way round by increasing the luggage allowances. So a lot of us will be thinking–of course they can afford it as they have enough oil or fuel of their own. This assumption is definitely wrong these airlines are still paying for their airline fuel—why they allow such generosity while others can’t—I do not know–perhaps Vintage Krug or any other commentors might know the answer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls