Aerolineas Argentinas

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

ViajeroUK
    Participant

During a holiday in Argentina last month made four domestic flights on Aerolineas Argentinas, mix of newish Boeing NG 738 and Embraer 190. We travelled in Club Economy, eight seats on each type, 2×2 on 738 and 1 x 2 on E190, generous size business class type seats with a fixed bulkhead behind the front cabin. Economy seating was 3×3 on 738 and 2×2 on E190. The front cabin actually feels far more business class than the majority of Euro airlines offerings, very spacious and comfortable seats. Ticket class is W or S so equal to premium economy, with Sky Team Priority benefits but no lounges at the mostly small domestic airports that we used.

The flights my wife and I made varied between 50 mins and 2hr 20mins, on each flight the on board food offering was exactly the same, two thin sandwiches, chocolate alfajores (cookies), a boiled sweet, soft drinks and coffee. Crew were always attentive but still had time to chat to us about our destinations, with tips on what not to miss, so almost ambassadors for the Argentinian tourist service.

Would be nice to see similar seating on European airlines, but guess that the fixed bulkheads and differnt seat types would be too restrictive for the majority who operate with flexible business cabins.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ViajeroUK – 18/11/2015 12:04 GMT

I have only flown with Aerolineas Argentinas once, on a regional flight from Buenos Aires to Rio, also in their Club/First cabin on a 737-700 I think. I found their service excellent, and as it was a late afternoon flight, they offered a full hot meal service with three choices of main, and a very nice wine list. It would be great if the European carriers would offer such a service, but those days are long gone.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hi ViajeroUK –

The full meal service is possible on domestic flights. Remember BA’s Super Shuttle in days gone by ?

But the issue of biz class seating within Europe has been endlessly discussed in these pages.

As you say, it’s all to do with the lack of flexibility plus, of course, the fact that the national airlines make little if any profit within Europe. In fact many of their feeder routes are hived off to secondary carriers.

In fact the way things are going, the LCCs may be operating some feeder routes in the future.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102070/easyjet-to-align-with-lufthansa

MartinJ
    Participant

It may help to know that Aerolineas are are a financial basket case. While the domestic product may be good they clearly fail to make money from it. Plus,some of their widebody aircraft are a throwback to the 1990s. Think recliner seats in Business and overhead monitors in Economy. I guess this is the kind of underinvestment that is bound to happen if an airline is owned by a virtually bankrupt state with a poor credit rating.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Is it true they now fly to London LHR on a daily basis with A340?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

sparkyflyer – AR hasn’t flown to London for ages. BA is the only carrier with flights to Argentina from the UK.

sparkyflier
    Participant

The November OAG guide lists daily flights into Terminal 4. This was a surprise to me which is why I raised it..

ViajeroUK
    Participant

sparkyflyer – I would guess that the flights shown into LHR T4 are code shares within Sky Team Alliance, on AF/ KLM metal perhaps?

sparkyflier
    Participant

I was very puzzled and surprised when I saw this , thinking BT has not mentioned it, is there the demand for an AR flight, and where the hell did the slots come from and how could they afford them!

Anyway the OAG November list daily flights from LHR to EZE on AR1937 departing 21:50 NONSTOP arriving at 09:00.

The return is listed as AR1936 leaving EZE at 22:55 =, flying NONSTOP arriving LHR T4 at 17:20.

I look forward to hearing how posters think OAG came to list this “new route”..

dutchyankee
    Participant

Checking flights on the AR website only shows availability via FCO, nothing direct entire months of November and December.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s a surprise to me too.

According to Airline Route there was a small number of flights planned for Sep/October for Rugby supporters and they operated via mainland Europe.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/05/06/ar-lhr-sep15/

Here’s the official announcement on AR’s website.

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/en-ar/prensa/comunicado/3650_aerolineas-argentinas-will-fly-to-london-for-de-rugby-world-cup

icenspice
    Participant

Was it previously not sold via Madrid to/from Gatwick using Air Europa?

goldaviator
    Participant

Flying Aerolineas Argentinas a number of domestic sectors around Argentina a few yeas ago put the fear of God into me. Chaotic check in, unpredictable and surly hand baggage policy enforcement, shoddy aircraft, flight deck door open on take off from El Calafate, passengers going into flight deck during flight and a descent into Barriloche that felt like we were dropping out of the sky white knuckle landing! Never again.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

goldaviator – Sounds a bad experience, I also wasn’t impressed when I used them c10 years ago, but pleasantly surprised this year.

The airline was nationalised about 4(?) years ago, domestic fleet renewed, new livery and it seems to have made a huge difference. They also joined Sky Team so I was able to use Sky Priority check in which was always fast and smooth, there were queues at some airports for economy check in, but the lines for LAN flights were much longer with fewer check in staff.

At security there was no requirement to have liquids in poly bags, and according to a bodega we visited bottles of wine are allowed onboard. Laptops could stay inside hand baggage, but apart from that all seemed quite thorough, lots of security/military personnel evident at screening areas.

Not air travel related, but Argentina has issued new bank notes for 100 and 50 pesos, the larger note carries a picture of Eva Peron, the 50 peso note carries an outline image of the Falkland Islands!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls