Aer Lingus to delay launch of its transatlantic services from Manchester

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This decision, which was announced today in Ireland, ought to come as no surprise given the current situation in the UK.

These fifth-freedom flights were due to launch on and after July 29.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0616/1228457-aer-lingus-delays-us-route/

Aer Lingus is saying that it expects the new start date to be September 30. But whether that happens or not is a moot point.

Here is our report from last March.

Aer Lingus launches transatlantic flights from Manchester

transtraxman
    Participant

I do not wish to be pedantic but think that precision in BT information should be the rule of the day.
    The flights offered by Aer Lingus are from the British subsidiary(Aer Lingus .uk) of the Irish airline (Aer Lingua .ie)Thus the airline flying the routes is British and not foreign, so fifth freedom rights are not needed. In this case the rights are negotiated directly between the UK and USA governments.

Some years ago Air India and Kuwait Airways had fifth freedom rights between Heathrow and New York JFK as a continuance of their flights into Heathrow from their home countries. This was reciprocated by BA and/or others having the right to transport passengers onwards to other destinations from cities in India or Kuwait City. It is as common a practice as countries which deny those fifth freedom rights.

Such is the case that an airlineĀ“s routing is all important to avoid sectors where no passengers (or freight) can be carried and are thus non-profit making.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One reader has placed a comment at the end of our piece today. I have added my own comment.

Aer Lingus postpones launch of transatlantic flights from Manchester

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls