Aer Lingus Economy (short haul)

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

DUB-LHR-DUB

Booking and check in

http://www.aerlingus.com is an easy site to navigate and selecting flights for my preferred times was no trouble. It is possible to select seats at time of booking (5euro for most seats), and if within 30 days of travel, one can check in and print boarding passes there and then. When travelling with hand baggage only this is a very useful facility and well worth the cost.

I arrived at Terminal 2 just after 5.00am for my 7.30am flight and proceeded straight to security. Terminal 2 is new, bright and spacious, and the security area is no exception. I was airside within a few minutes.

There is a good range of shops and cafes, most of which open around 5.00am to cater for the early birds.

Lounge (Dublin)

Aer Lingus recently opened a new lounge, having previously shared the Dublin Airport Authority lounge. As part of their efforts to promote the lounge, former Gold Circle members are targeted with an offer of a 20% reduction in the entry fee. This is an excellent way to induce passengers to sample the product, and a useful revenue stream too.

The new lounge is over two floors, with full length windows giving a fine view of the apron. There is a water feature spanning the two floors and this is very impressive. Work stations are available and complimentary wifi. There are quiet areas for those who want to relax, and several types of seats. Newspapers are available.

The breakfast offering consisted of fruit, breads, cheese, pastries, cereals, savoury snacks, sandwiches and biscuits. I made a very adequate continental breakfast, with some excellent espresso.

There are toilets and showers in the new lounge with L’occitane toiletries.

The new lounge is vastly improved and well worth the entry fee.

Boarding

Boarding is through an airbridge and rearmost rows are called first to minimize delays. The gate was almost beside the lounge, so I didn’t have far to walk.

The Airbus 320 was immaculate and cabin crew warmly welcomed passengers.

All Aer Lingus short haul flights are economy and seats configured 3-3. Seats are upholstered in navy leather, have adjustable headrests and are adequate for a short flight.

Inflight

The Captain gave a brief welcome and details of flight times, followed by a safety announcement from the cabin crew. We pushed back at and 7.30 and were airborne quickly. There is the option to buy snacks and drinks, but I didn’t avail of this. The flight time was 55 minutes, and we landed beside Terminal 1 leaving a very short taxi to the gate. De-planing was swift, and I was at the Underground station at 9.00am.

Return Check in and security

Having my boarding pass already printed, I went directly to security at Heathrow T1 and was processed very quickly. I was airside within 5 minutes.

Lounge Heathrow

Aer Lingus LHR lounge is adjacent to the departure gates. This has been recently refurbished, has enhanced seating and in lounge toilets (a very welcome improvement!).

There was chicken soup, high quality sandwiches, cheese, biscuits and savoury snacks.

I spent a very pleasant time here relaxing with a nice Merlot and the new Stephen Leather thriller.

Boarding

Again, the rearmost rows were called first. My seat 7D meant that I was amongst the last to board. Pushback was 9.05pm, and after a lengthy taxi, we were airborne at 9.20. The Captain indicated that the flight would be 55 minutes, and we landed just before 10.20pm.

I didn’t avail of the sky café, but bought a couple of trinkets from the “skyshop”.

Conclusion

A very impressive return flight. Excellent service, punctuality and I was particularly impressed with the new Dublin Lounge. It is nice to be able to access the lounge even though I am no longer a regular Aer Lingus passenger. The facility to check in and print boarding passes at time of booking is also a good idea.

Having paid less than 200euro for the return flights (including seat selection and lounge access on both legs) this was marvelous value.

Well done Aer Lingus

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Just a pity about their pricing structure! A return flight to Dublin with zero fare costs £69.66 for taxes and charges. Change one leg to a fare of £4.99 and the total goes to £86.50. There is a £6 charge for each sector regardless whether payment is by credit or debit card. The total cost of my flight is now £98.50. Don’t try to complain to the CEO as it’s not possibly to make any contact by email!

PatJordan
    Participant

ImissConcorde,

you are quite correct in that a zero fare attracts a lower level of taxes and charges than “low” fare. I don’t know why this is.

However, if you write to the CEO’s office at Aer Lingus, there’s a good chance that you will get a reply from his PA. I have found that emails to Aer Lingus usually remain unanswered, even when making positive comments.

Have you tried making the return trip as two seperate one way bookings? This can sometimes make it a little cheaper.

Pat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls