Aer Lingus A330-300 Business

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

This was our return Avios booking from Boston to Dublin. We arrived at Terminal E in good time, using the T and bus transfer. There was no queue at premium check-in but some confusion about permitted luggage weight – one of those on duty seemed to aspy the opportunity to reap a surcharge and geelfully informed us of the fact but her colleague reminded her that we were well within Business Class limits.

Security was fast and efficient and we then made our way to the revamped Gold Circle Lounge – still a rather depressing place with no natural light and very unconfortable seating. I made use of the wifi (choice of BA or EI!!), had a couple of drinks but was not tempted by the sandwiches on offer. We were called once boarding had commenced and walked the length of the Terminal and straight onto the aircraft via the premium line. We were directed to our seats rather than welcomed and coats (on pre-labeled hangers) taken. Pre-departure drinks were offered (OJ, water and champagne).

We took off on time and a short flying time of 5’30” was announced with high winds and turbulence to accompany our ride. I set the information screen immediately after take off and we were very soon at 39,000 feet, maybe reflecting a low fuel load for this short flight. This made me wonder about the height limits for various aircraft types – this is certainly higher than normal so would appreciate comments as to how high it is safe to go??

Menus and amenity kits were distributed after take off – the dinner offering was identical to that on Pat Jordan’s flight from MCO (http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Aer-Lingus-A330-300-Business-3). We had chosen not to eat before departure and after a fabulaous meal on the way out, I was looking forward to my dinner. Unfortunately, I chose the chicken which came with sweetened potatoes but, worst of all, a BBQ source that called for hundreds and thousands and a dollop of cream, it was so sweet – inedible, in fact and I left most of mine.

After this unfortunate experience, I settled down for a couple of hours sleep – the cabin crew really did not push themselves in delivering a speedy service and they could learn alot from airlines that have this aspect of late departures off pat. We were buffeted violently during the night but no problems seemed to arise as a consequence. About an hour out, I was woken by breakast service – I could only face OJ, fruit and coffee. Service was alot more disinterested than on the outbound.

We landed about 30 minutes early and then went on the longest taxi I have ever experienced in many visits to Dublin. Eventually, we parked and disembarked. Despite having coats on marked hangers, these were not delivered to the seats and I had to work my way forward through other passengers to retrieve them where the flight attendant responsible seemed confused about what might have been expected of her!.

Overall, a much more disappointing experience than on the outbound. The food was poor and service casual and disinterested. Given the brevity of the flight, I would certainly question the value of paying for Business class on this leg, especially with my good record of sleeping well in economy!!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom

An aircraft has to height limitations or ceilings are they are known.

Service ceiling, at which the rate of climb falls to 100 feet per minute

Absolute ceiling, at which the aircraft will no longer climb at all

Ceiling is linked to a weight (as you point out) and the flight computers will calculate the optimum cruise altitude for a given weight.

Above certain heights, aircraft altitude is set in ‘flight levels’, which are broadly speaking feet divided by 100 on a certain altimeter setting (1013.2 Hpa.)

Crossing the Atlantic is highly controlled, as the aircraft fly on assigned tracks at pre-ordained levels (you can see the references to 310 320 330 340 350 360 370 380 390 as ‘west levels’ in the link below

https://www.notams.faa.gov/common/nat.html

So your captain would want to get the highest level to reduce the fuel burn (jet engines work that way) and 390 is a good job.

Sometimes aircraft will ‘step climb’ enroute, coming out last Saturday, we crossed most of the way at 370, then did the last bit at 380.

Years ago, I remember fying to LAX on a BA 744, starting at 280 and ending in the early 400s, IIRC.

The aircraft flight level is dictated by various performance parameters and 390 is not great challenge for a A330 (at certain wieghts.) On the short hop from Malta to Larnaca, I’ve been in an EK 330 at over FL400.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls